15 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2016 1:24 AM by phctourist RSS

Should We Subsidize Arenas, Stadiums, etc.  and not know it?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Increasingly, cities are imposing major taxes on tourists to pay for their soccer, basketball, baseball and football venues and we aren't even told that we're paying.  I believe that t would be nice if Marriott, when publishing hotel rates, would explicitly tell us what we are paying for such fees.

Thus, when I requested rates for hotels in and around a city, I would see what the inner city is charging me so I could consider a stay just over the line, with most of the convenience and not have to pay such fees.

Example.

The Key Bridge Marriott and Chrystal City Marriott hotels are just across the river from Washington, DC and yet are free of such taxes.

Anybody have thoughts on this subject.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Should We Subsidize Arenas, Stadiums, etc.  and not know it?
    superchief1 Platinum

I find rental car taxes to be the worst for subsidizing local projects. Kansas City has some of the highest rental car taxes in the country, and a large portion subsidized the building of the Sprint Center, and KC doesn't even have a team to use it.

It is easy to pass taxes on those who don't get to vote for them. One advantage of Timeshare ownership is that we pay property taxes rather than sales/special taxes. Since local voters also pay them, they are less impacted by the 'let others pay' mentality. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

While Marriott may be able to tell you what percentage or even $ amount of the taxes charged are "local" taxes, there is no way that they can tell you from municipality to municipality what these various taxes are being used for.  Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to keep up with (keeping hotel email addresses current on hotel websites would be infintely easier - Re: contact details of hotels: why no email?), and therefore, unreasonable to expect.  All you can do is decide whether you're willing to pay the taxes or not (by choosing to stay in a certain location or not).  Taxation is a very complicated and dynamic business (I'm in the business), and I don't think it's the responsibility of any business to delineate to it's customers a breakdown of what the local taxes in a specific location are being spent on.  That's something that is decided by local government and/or voters, and it's different from municipality to municipality and is changing all the time.  These are my thoughts on the subject.

I didn't mean that specific taxes should be itemized, but I would like to see them totaled  either as part of or as an addition to the room charge.  I really don't care what the specific local taxes are for, but I do care what they total.  I do, however, find the taxes for local stadiums, etc. to be particularly egregious when they are imposed on tourist who will rarely attend those venues.

The bottom line is, I want to know easily, what the total tab is for one hotel is versus another.r

So for one of my latest bills, the breakdown looks like this:

tax                                0.61

room charge               118.00

city tax                         9.44

calif/local tourism fee     0.69

Is this what you're looking for, or something more definitive?

That info should be provided as part of the cost before I choose a hotel.  I just looked at rates for DC for a weekend in May and got rates for two similarly priced hotels, one in DC and one in Arlington, VA.  Botha are near Metro and about the same distance from the Mall.  It took six more steps and more than five minutes to find out what the fees and taxes totaled for each hotel.

I see.  So instead of this:

CY Arlington Crystal.gif

or this:

CY CHNY DC.gif

You want to see something more like this, at the time of booking

:

Total cash rate                                 118.00

Taxes and fees:

tax                                 0.61

city tax                           9.44

calif/local tourism fee       0.69

Total taxes and fees                          10.74

Total for stay in hotel's currency        128.74 USD

That would be great when comparing hotels.  Now, I have to look up that info separately for each hotel.  Not a big problem when comparing two hotels, but if looking at Marriott properties in the DC or Boston area, it's unwieldy to make such a comparison.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

The Marriott site doesn't show detail, but it does show the sum of taxes. So the total amount, including taxes, is shown on the page. Would you base your decision on what the taxes are for rather than the amount of the taxes? In other words, if 2 hotels (A and B) are the same price per night but A had $20 for taxes including $2 for a stadium but B had $25 for taxes but not including a stadium tax would you choose B over A because of the stadium, even though A is less than B? I'm only asking because I'm not understanding how the detail of the tax would help you with a decision. The amount of the tax, yeah I understand that.

I care about the total, not what each tax is for.  I may be offended by the bill for the stadium, but I really care about the total.

In the early 90s I did a fair amount of business travel and one trip took me to NYC, Chicago, and Philly.  The added taxes at the West Side Marriott, (which were waived, in my case, because my trip was being paid for by the US. Govt.) exceeded the total nightly charges at the hotels in Philly, and Chicago.  I did not start spending my own money to stay in NYC until those egregious taxes were dramatically reduced.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Taxes, yes. Major? Not so sure I'd label them major.

But, yes, this is an easier way to get bond issues past the electorate. "Tax the other guy" has become a common refrain in politics. There is some logic to it (many people are staying in local hotels in order to attend local sporting events). But at the same time isn't that why they have the stadiums, to attract tourists? So why punish the tourist for coming in to spend the money?

Problem is we're trying to apply logic to politics. Kind of like trying to put shoes on a snake.

Simple answer would be to tax the tickets to the venue.  I go, occasionally, to Baltimore, for a baseball game.  I have no problem being taxed on my bb ticket to pay for the stadium.  I don't want to be taxed on my hotel room for that purpose, no more than I would want to pay a tax on bb ticket to pay for the construction of the hotel.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Think it would price the tickets further out of reach. I am not arguing with your premise that cities and counties  especially  car rentals put all kind of taxes including convention centers

I'm not trying to apply logic to politics.  I'm asking Marriott to publicize what the politicians are doing to and thus provide a bit of transparency in pricing so that Marriott's customers can make better informed decisions, more easily.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...