18 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2016 10:46 PM by californian RSS

Dubai - Can one safely use the metro? Which hotel should I stay at for sightseeing?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I hoped to catch the Big Bus tour which picks up at the Mall of the Emirates.  So I would be able to get there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, UAE
  • Re: Dubai - safty using metro and where to stay.
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

WWhat?  Are you asking???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

I think Safty is a person,

question is where he should stand/wait to catch the bus

(or sumtin')

OK.  SO my spelling is not great.  pluto77 and ramoneur   It does not let us edit.  I wanted to say - safely use public transportation.  Should I use the metro from the airport?  From what I read the JW Marriott Dubai is a good bet to stay at since it is a short walk to the metro.  To catch the Big Bus, I need to get to the mall of the Emirates. This will allow me to hop on - hop off where I choose in Dubai and shuttle me to Abu Dhabi and hop on - hop off there too.  Any other suggestions are welcome.  This is new for me.  Should a woman cover her head?  Are arms to be covered too? 

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Tthere are a number of hints and descriptions on Tripadvisor regarding how to dress in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. If you are going to the Mosque in Abu Dhabi then there is a specific outline for clothing that is acceptable to enter and take a tour.

Women do not need to cover their heads unless in a mosque.

image.jpeg

ramoneur Platinum

californian, I just made a lame joke;

it was not my intention to hurt your feelings

My feelings were not hurt.  I knew that you were joking.  My frustration was not being able to edit my post.  I requested help so hope to be able to fix.

ramoneur Platinum

I think the/your local embassy would be very able to provide you the do's and don'ts

ramoneur Platinum

btw: I can edit all my own posts on this forum;

are you sure you cannot edit yours?

the title IS very confusing; you may not get a of of replies with this topic title

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

If you go to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi (and you HAVE to go see it. Trip Advisor has it as the 4th most remarkable sight in the world), they will give you an outfit to wear, including your head cover. Other than that, my wife didn't have to cover anywhere else.  We stayed at the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai and they take great care of their Platinum members. Stayed at the tallest hotel in the world, went to the top of the tallest builidng in the world, check, check   We loved it there, but were only there for 4 days, last month, so we didn't get time to see as much as we would have liked.

So glad to hear from you.  I was unable to find the other thread.  I was planning to stay at the JW but maybe should switch to the JW Marquis.  I like to stay where I can walk and see things. The reviews are better for the Marquis but it supposed to be easier to get around from the JW.   I am considering the Big Bus but I would need to get to a pick up area and would consider public transportation but not a cab.  I may try to find a tour that picks up at the hotel.  I may be able to do that after I get there.  I also want to tour to AD.  Any pointers?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

The JW Marriott Marquis has a shuttle that goes every half hour and takes you places like the mall, where you go up to the Burj Khalifa.  I would try to get tickets to the Burj Khalifa a day or 2 before you want to go up, as certain times fill up. Go up to the highest level (148) and get the time that is just before sunset. Beautiful to see the sunset and the night lights before you come down.  AS far as Abu Dhabi, we were rushed for time, so we split a taxi between 3 of us, and it cost about $55 per person round-trip (he waited for us about 2 hours without running the meter, so he could get the return fare.

tryt53  Thanks for the info.  I canceled my reservation for the JW and made one for the JW Marquis.  It costs more but from what I read it will be a much better experience.  I just found out that Emiratis Airline will shuttle me to my hotel upon arrival without charge since I will be flying business class.  Now when it gets closer, a tour to AB and what ever I will be doing in Dubai.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

All spelling aside, I truly couldn't figure out what you were asking.

You  cannot dress too modestly in the Grand Mosque.  If your arms aren't covered down to your wrists, you will be turned away (or they may offer loaner garments).. No 3/4 sleeves. Any full scarf over the head will do. A good rule is only your hands and face can be uncovered.  The chart above is only for the mosque.  Outside of the mosque, you can dress normal, but it still should lean towards modesty, out of respect for the culture.

i've never used public transportation or stayed in a hotel in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, so can't help there.  I felt very safe in both cities.  The crime rate is very low.

AndrewT KatieC  I need to edit my post but other than the tags, don't see how to do this.

What to ask -

Can one safely use the metro?

Which hotel should I stay at for sightseeing?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...