4 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2016 8:11 PM by ramoneur RSS

Bruckner's music - neo-romanticism, but brilliant

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

as a fervent Bach-lover for composition,

and a lifelong fan of Beethoven for "bombastic classical hard-rock" music,

Bruckner was a composer I did not know,

until, somewhat by chance (well, availability and a heavily subsidized low admission price) I went to one of The Netherland's finest Concert Halls (in Amsterdam - go visit/listen!) to listen to his sixth sympony

WOW

I have come to enjoy - and include in my standard listening short-list - his 6th, 8th and 3rd symphonies

He is - at this moment - the only composer I like from the more "dreamy" compositions;

His compositions are a bit too complex, lack "Beethoven's bombastic umpfh", and should adhere more to Bach's superior "interconnectivity"

...but man! Does his music pack a punch!

If you're going to listen to his music on youtube, or whatever,

be sure to choose Celibidache's or Bernstein's versions;

I have found this music to be extremely dependent on the conductor's expertise;

If you're going to listen only once; choose the best conductor's version, please

(I may even be able to start appreciating Mahler through him)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bruckner's music - neo-romanticism, but brilliant
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I have never heard of Bruckner.  I listened to the 6th, conducted by Celibicache.  I didn't like it (Sorry.)  The composition felt full of dissonance to me, at least the first two movements.  I just couldn't "hear" the story.  It got better towards the end (maybe it was just growing on me, maybe I stopped paying close attention...)  Others in the office seemed to like it.  I'll listen to more this weekend.

Thank you for highlighting this composer, whom I was not familiar with.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

no problem; great you tried listening ;-)

I had to get used to his music too; as I said: it's too "loose"; you are swimming in a tonal sea instead of following a story;

however, after listening to his 6th for some 10 times, I finally got to hear it performed live;

and it was great,

really

I was amazed myself

his 8th and 3rd are also amazing btw

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I'll have to check this out, ramoneur. I'm always interested to learn about new music!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...