20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2016 7:03 PM by AndrewT RSS

Marriott refused to honor their Ultimate reservation guarantee

greattraveltime Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member, I was in for an unfortunate surprise thinking that I was protected by their ultimate reservation guarantee. After receiving an email that my May reservation at Playa Largo Resort & Spa was cancelled, I contacted Hotel Management, the Elite reservation line and customer care to no avail. They stated that the ultimate reservation guarantee only applies if you are "walked", which means you are turned away when showing up in person to check in. Since I was being notified in advance, I was not eligible to receive compensation for being "walked". After questioning how this was possible when the ultimate reservation guarantee is Marriott's policy, I was sent terms and conditions that exclude newly opening properties from the ultimate reservation guarantee. I am not sure how this is legal because Marriott's ultimate reservation benefit policy does not include a single reference to exclusions or terms of conditions (Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee). I was offered some points and a few dollars but nothing close to paying for my stay at a nearby hotel, $200 in cash and 90,000 points.

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Florida Keys, Florida, USA
  • Re: Marriott refused to honor their Ultimate reservation guarantee
    Platinum

I don't know the entire cost of your nearby hotel, but buying that many points (There's a limit of 50K/year, so technically you couldn't buy 90K at once) would be around $1100, so you got the equivalent of $1300.. It does say in the policy:

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

The assumption seems to be that the $200 will cover the other hotel, and the 90K points will be for your trouble, but there are quite a few places where $200 wouldn't come close (like most of NYC) and sounds like you were in the same type of location

The do explicitly state what the  "compensation" will be ..., It's exactly what you got, $200 + 90K points, so in the end, I do think they honored the policy. Unless I read your post wrong and you did not receive that as compensation.

You can say that you don't like the policy, but I don't think you could say that it wasn't applied. If I'm missing something, please reply. Nobody likes being walked - and this is nearly as bad, but honestly, not as bad as showing up and being walked with no knowledge in advance (in my opinion)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry,dansplan, I think you misunderstood greattraveltime's post.

He didn't get the guarantee, that's why he's posted. The guarantee applies to the archetypal "midnight walk", arriving late to find the hotels oversold and theres no room despite your reservation. You qualify if, whatever time you turn up to checkin the hotel is unable to accommodate you and you have to stay elsewhere. If that happens to you (as a Plat) then the hotel has to:

a) arrange and pay for alternative equivalent local accommodation; and

b) pay $200 (full service brands) or $100 (non full service brands) cash; and

c) credit 90,000 points to the members account (140,000 if a Ritz)

It acts as a very strong disincentive to "walk" members, and I've never utilised it in over 600 nights at Marriott properties worldwide.

Platinum

Hey brightlybob , no worries. I just read the last line of his post - It didn't add up that he said he didn't get the compensation, yet listed it. Here it is again.

I was offered some points and a few dollars but nothing close to paying for my stay at a nearby hotel, $200 in cash and 90,000 points.

greattraveltime has not replied, so I'm not sure what happened at this point.

Well dansplan I read that sentence as 2 statements.

1. He was offered some points and a few dollars.

2. The offer he's recieved is far less than a free room, $200 and 90,000 points.

I can't see much point in the thread if he's saying "Beware, Marriott does what it says on the tin and ignores it's own T&Cs." Hopefully this isn't another one-and-done and greattraveltime will return and clear that up for us

greattraveltime Platinum

No, the ultimate reservation guarantee was not honored. I even escalated my case to the office of Mr. Sorenson. Based on principle alone, Marriott should honor their ultimate reservation guarantee and follow this up with a policy revision which discloses any restrictions, exclusions or terms and conditions. I see that carat has responded, so perhaps all hope is not lost?

Platinum

agreed

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

dansplan  I believe that you misunderstood the post.  He said he  "was offered some points and a few dollars but nothing close to paying for my stay at a nearby hotel, $200 in cash and 90,000 points."

In other words, he got a fraction of what the guaranty offers and not the "$200 in cash and 90,000 points"  to which he was entitled under the "ultimate reservation guarantee."

superchief1 Platinum

Was your reservation cancelled because the resort will not yet be open, or for some other reason?

Hi, greattraveltime

I can relate to your problem here as I had exactly the same one. It was my (much postponed) honeymoon and I'd redeemed a Cat8 Marriott Travel Package giving me enough miles for a return first class UK-Miami flight for me and the wife and a 7-night Cat8 cert which I used to reserve a week at the Autograph Playa Largo Resort commencing 7th April.

By February it became obvious from Facebook updates that the complex build (the regs for building on the Keys are labyrinthine and strictly enforced, hence this is the first new build in the area for 20 years!) was running behind schedule and I left a message on FB. The hotel then messaged me a few days later and we commenced a friendly email exchange when they offered to move my certificate over to the Largo Marriott, which I most definitely wasn't interested in. I had a look at our options, spoke with the missus and we chose instead to stay at the Cat9 Stanton SoBe, so I emailed back and they agreed to upgrade my Cat8 to a Cat9 certificate and threw in 15,000 points to redeem for a few drinks whilst there and we had a brilliant stay at SoBe!

I did early on consider the possibility of claiming the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, but like the lawyer I am I checked the T&Cs first and found the (unsurprising) new-build exemption. I'd have claimed it if I could, but as I couldn't I followed the more persuasive route which enabled redemption at a higher category hotel where redemption for that week was unavailable (the Saturday was fully booked by the time this happened) and saved our honeymoon.

I'm sorry you've found yourself in this quandary but it seemed unlikely to me that the guarantee would cover these circumstances and whilst staying in a brand new hotel, especially a resort, is a great experience (though I've found patience is needed as theres frequently glitches both in the building and staffing) there's always the risk when booking that opening will be postponed. In fact if I recall correctly the Playa Largo resort was originally chalked up for opening in July 2015! I also had hoped to stay at the new Marquis in Houston when visiting there in September this year but that completion date, originally June 2016 has now drifted to November. Mind you neither took reservations for those dates!

The only other options at Largo are the very central but not-at-all-resorty Courtyard and the less central, and very ordinary Marriott Resort. Other options include continuing driving to Key West where there's a well-regarded Marriott on the outskirts and a strangely exotic type of Fairfield Inn (with a Tiki-bar, no less!) more centrally. Alternatively you could follow our lead to SoBe where there's plenty of Marriott options, or go west to Marco Island, where there's a very well regarded Marriott resort. Finally, dont forget the lounge and breakfast exclusions at resorts, the only benefits of Platinum at resorts are the possibility of a room upgrade and the $10 arrival voucher.

I hope you manage to rescue your holiday, you are at least in an area where there's lots of options. Good luck!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi greattraveltime.  You've got some great insight from our wonderful Insiders.  Sounds like a very unpleasant experience.  I'd also like to jump in and see if I can provide clarity.  I've gone ahead and sent you a private message to start the conversation.   

greattraveltime Platinum

Just a quick follow up. Our room that was booked as a replacement reservation was sold out upon check in. A second consecutive unfortunate event was enough for Marriott to finally do the right thing. We had a great Florida trip.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

I actually find I can never get the guarantee - the hotels use the special event exception to the rule and do nothing to compensate

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

This has also been discussed all over Flyertalk. The "Ultimate Room" and "Ultimate Reservation" guarantees only apply if you show up for check in and the property: a) doesn't have a room for you-eg. you are "walked" b) doesn't have the room type in your reservation.

It doesn't apply to the Platinum 48 hour reservation "guarantee". This benefit is laughable. I am seeing more and more unavailable properties this Spring and Summer than ever. No help from Marriott Reservations. It used to be EXTREMELY difficult for a property to get that exception. Now it seems like they can get it just for saying "please."

It also doesn't apply if the property warns you in advance that they don't have your room-for whatever reason-and cancels your reservation. Recent examples on FT: 1) A new property wasn't opening on time. 2) The property had decided to accept a group that oversold the property. Again, I find this ridiculous. What if one booked this on points for a vacation? Airfare in place etc. Suddenly, you don't have a room????

Another interesting thing happened to a member recently. They booked Indy 500 week next year (or some other race). Anyway, they booked before the property had jacked the prices OR put in the very restrictive cancelation penalties. This guy simply had until 1 day before arrival. He got an email stating that they were changing him to "prepaid and no cancel..." The same thing happened to me a few years ago when I booked a hotel in northern Jersey 50 weeks before the Superbowl. In these cases, MR did help. They contacted property and said NO WAY original terms had to be agreed.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I also wanted to add...a guy on Flyertalk is fighting Marriott about an awful situation. He had a reservation for an event in the area of the property. (The hotel was new.) AS scheduled, he and his family drove to the hotel and IT WASNT OPEN YET. They admit they forgot to notify him. As of the date of checkin, his reservation was still active. He ended up staying 90-120 mins away as everything else was booked. Had to find his own alternative. They are pushing back on the ultimate guarantee. He rightly isn't accepting that and frankly wants more. I hope he gets a ton.

jcarter Platinum

hey what was the outcome? Similar situation for me going on right now. I showed up to a Marriott property and it was closed down. They are refusing to honor Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. I stay exclusively with Marriott but not digging their customer service right about now.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sounds frustrating, jcarter,

We'd like to look into this. Please send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation number for this stay.

Thank you

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...