4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2016 4:13 AM by brightlybob RSS

Free nights

onomary Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know if you can use a free night stay and cash or points to get a stay at a category 7 hotel?  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Free nights
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Welcome to Insiders onomary.  I presume you are referring to a CAT 1-5 certificate and you wish to use points or cash at a CAT 7 property?  I do not believe you can do that as the certificate would only be good at a 1-5 property.

Maybe other Insiders will have more information if they've had an success in doing this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Nope. Free night at a hotel category 5 of lower. No way to use these certificates at category 6.

Check out this list of hotels where such a certificate might be used. Re: Where can I use my category 1-5 certificate in the USA?

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for this answer, bejacob! You're always so helpful.

onomary, welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

There are no means to upgrade a Cat 1-5 cert for any higher category property, not by offering to add points to it, nor cash, and no, Marriotts not interested in your mother either! It's an oft-asked question because whilst 2/3rds of all Marriotts properties are in Cats 1-5, they're not particularly in the kind of places you'd want to spend your leisure time, or the kind of hotels suitable for a romantic weekend break.

bejacob's thread referred to above is a particularly good place to find more salubrious Cat1-5s, but alternatively a bit of imagination can turn those certs into a good weekend away, try looking for an interesting day out in an area, then look for a Cat1-5 Marriott within an hours drive, betcha you'll find something!

That certificates a free weekend away, somewhere, so no reason to let it go to waste!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...