3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2016 1:22 AM by californian RSS

Protea Hotels in South Africa

crymeariver Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We had recent experiences in South Africa with Protea Hotels.  We stayed at three different locations and were very happy with the comfort levels.  We would like to hear about other people's experiences.  We enjoyed South Africa so much, we would go back again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
South_Africa, CapeTown
  • Re: Protea Hotels in South Africa
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I'm interested to hear about other's experiences at Protea Hotels as well, crymeariver! I'd also like to hear more about South Africa. It's one of the top destinations on my bucket list.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

0504Traveller Silver 14 Reviews

Hello.  Just recently stayed at the Protea Hotel Durban Edward.  You can check out my full review here:

Random Thoughts About a Life Being Travelled: Protea Hotel Durban Edward

Overall, I expected better.  I understand that some Protea's have been renovated/upgraded (the Fire & Ice in Johannesburg is apparently really nice) but this hotel was neither upgraded nor renovated.  It looked old - from the furniture to the decor to the overall look.  I was only there for one night, and I am not sure I would want to be there for more than that.

Also, interestingly the hotel was the same price as Marriott's luxury competitor (starts with a H....n).  I am not sure whether this was overvalued or that was undervalued.  Based on this would I stay a Protea - no.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I had heard that the Protea hotels were a mess when Marriott took them over and expected it to take a while to bring them up to Marriott standards.  But why charge as though they were?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...