64 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2016 3:55 PM by monisame RSS

Marriott Rewards to offer double elite nights credit

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Not sure if this has been posted already but figured I would throw this out there for any of you who do not have a U.S. address. There is apparently a targeted offer regarding double elite nights for people outside the U.S.

http://livefromalounge.boardingarea.com/2016/04/27/marriott-rewards-double-elite-nights-credit/#_ga=1.44100900.1823525176.1444075952

can we get a confirmation on this? NathalieF,deannad,carat, KatieC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards to offer double elite nights credit
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Whoop, Whoop!!!  I've registered.   Excellent news as I have a 9 day stay already booked during the promotion, and probably another one will be made.  brightlybob fistuk and the other UK Insiders.  Get registering now!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Lucky folks out there outside the US, Plat for far less than needed for Gold! And brightlybob is always complaining about the US-only promos!

I suppose this promo only helps folks who don't travel too much, maybe squeeze in another night or two to get Gold or Plat, not so much folks like brightlybob who likely may not need this to secure Plat for next year. Hopefully this doesn't cause a flood of people at the lounges outside the US, leading to slashing of the great perks I've heard about but not yet experienced myself.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Double credit for nights might help brightlybob reach Lifetime Platinum soon. Seem to recall needing something like 100 more nights.

Now it' will be the whiney Americans looking in and licking the windows.

hassmh Gold

Good point, didn't think about lifetime nights! Plus all the extra rollovers count double!

Yes, I'm licking this window for sure! Was previously excited about achieving Gold this year, but now it's tarnished by this promo which would probably put me near Plat if I was eligible!

I'd love the double counting for lifetime (and rollover) nights.

Renewing Platinum for another year won't be a problem for me. Current plans will put me at 75 nights by the time I get to Houston in September.

This got me wondering if Marriott will roll out a summer bonus for the rest of us this year. We had one for several years in a row until last summer. I don't have too much travel planned over the summer, though another bonus might make me reconsider.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

For everything hassmh there are winners and losers.  There have been promotions in the past that I could have benefited from, but not living in the US, I didn't qualify.  It didn't "tarnish" my view.  The biggest winner and loser issue is actually the credit card you can have.  Just ask brightlybob what he thinks of that!

Just to compare (and I am sure someone will say I am wrong somewhere, but I got this off the Chase Website)

US Card

1. Annual Fee $85

2. 80,000 points after first $3,000 spend

3. 7,500 points to add authorised user

4. 5 points per $1 at Marriott

5. 2 points per $1 airline tickets

6. 1 point per dollar elsewhere

7. Free night cat 1-5 every year

8. 15 elite night credits every year

9. 1 elite night credits for every $3,000 spend

10. No foreign transaction fees.

UK Card

1. Free

2. 10,000 points after first £200 ($290) spend

3. N/A

4. 2 points per £1 ($1.45) at Marriott

5. N/A

6.1 point per £1 ($1.45) elsewhere

7. 2,000 bonus points each year

8. 10 elite night credits every year

9. N/A

10. N/A

If we could have anywhere near the same terms on a credit card as our US friends, I would be gold year on year through credit card spending, the resultant free elite nights, and my leisure stays.  I could also earn a MASSIVE amount of points more compared to here in the UK.

Maybe just for a few months some of us are going to be allowed to augment our elite nights, but that doesn't come close to what is possible in the US.

So please don't grudge us this promotion. Nothing is tarnished. 

No grudges. It's a nice promotion. Enjoy it.

hassmh Gold

On the contrary, I certainly don't grudge you this promotion; I think it's fantastic for those who are eligible, I just wish I could be eligible, too! Just as I'm certain you wish you had the same Marriott card benefits we in the US enjoy! Were it not for those card benefits, there is no chance I'd even have a chance at reaching Gold with my limited travel.

As bejacob said, our good friend brightlybob is always commenting about licking the window from the outside; it's our turn now to lick the window from the other side, wishing to taste the sweet double nights promotion! Glad you are eligible and hope you get good use and enjoyment from it!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

GGreat comparison, Tommo781, with that card and it's night credits I'd have made LTPlat long ago... Hohum

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Oh how true. It's about time.

Haha, bejacob so this is what it's like to listen to a whiney Yank

It will certainly help my requalification as I am going to fall well short of the actual 75 plat nights this year, now I'll get there on the stays I've aleready got planned, and likely end the year only 30-40 nights short of LTPlat.

So, yes, great news!

jwortiz Platinum

Hey, I resemble that!! 

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I am only on temporary gold, as I was targeted for an offer, and given gold for a short period.  I am only now a leisure traveller, and this offer may well mean that I achieve gold, which would be lovely.

However hassmh, it won't make any difference to lounge overcrowding, as I always have access anyway.  I either pay for a room that has access, or my favourite hotel upgrades me to one.  But it would be nice to have gold anyway, even if it is just for a year.

trevfour Platinum

I retained gold with 90% leisure stays last year. That takes some doing, and not a little cash!

weld3z Platinum

The problem we outside the US we dont have credit card for the 10 nights so this should help many people ..

trevfour Platinum

I'm pleased you got registered Tommo. However, this is still a targeted offer I'm afraid, and I have not been targeted!

Brightly bob is not the only one. At last a promotion for the loyal outside of the USA. Looks well designed and on for a considerable period. Fantastic. Well done Marriott Rewards. I will trying to spend with you in every way possible!

monisame Platinum

Good !!!. Great for you.

I really dont know how I can register for this .Where did you enter.  Any help is really welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, this is a surprise, for sure. I remember a double night promo, I think in 2010, but that lasted a few weeks, this lasts over 6 months!

This effectively means Marriott now offers status for international members as follows:

Silver 5 nights

Gold 25 nights

Platinum 38 nights

Its certainly true that outside the US and Canada, the traditional 50/75 nights are tough to reach. Taking Europe, though supposedly a single market, we are hampered by our 24 different languages so our single market is not nearly as approachable or usable for business travel as the US/Canada. And of course it's telling that of the Marriotts nearly 4,100 hotels, over 3,700 are in the USA.

I just can't see Marriott doing this for no reason, and specifically excluding US nationals, where almost all offers, promos and competiitions are marketed. Bearing in mind it's not a short term thing like the one in 2010, this really must be a deliberate decision to offer Silver for 5 nights, Gold for 25 and Plat for 38 which is much more achievable to the lower travelling international membership. But why now? Marriott has long known that 50/75 nights were an issue for many international members but did nothing. Nothing at all, so why now?

Well, Hilton has been offering to status match Marriott Plats on and off since the SPG deal was announced and I suspect many of Marriotts international membership have taken this up, and been attracted by Hiltons stay requirement, which can bring Diamond for far less than 50 nights. But that's also attractive to the low-staying US membership so hardly explains why this 2-for-1 is onlly offered outside the US. So, whilst it may be as LiveFromALounge has speculated "to get Hilton off Marriotts lawn" I'm thinking there's another reason.

I think it has something to do with Marriotts own ambitions and the SPG merger. I suspect Marriott is considering the next move on that giant chessboard and we know from experience it's going to take a very long time to amalgamate the schemes, at least till 2018 and in the meantime as I've already speculated following the merger I expect an open Marriott-SPG and vice-versa status match arrangement.

We know that SPG, like Marriott is an asset light business yet Marriotts paying nearly $15billion. And for what? SPGs small property portfolio, it's timeshare business is to be spun off, Marriott actually didn't want the only bit of the business that has any hard assets! What Marriott has bought is Starwoods brands and it's extremely loyal SPG scheme membership. That's it. If the Starwood franchisees or hotel owners decide they dont like Marriott they can just walk away when their contract comes to an end. And if SPG members decide likewise they can up sticks and leave right away. Marriott has to tread carefully here or it could find its $15billion has bought nothing other than a few names. Because actually that's all it really has bought.

Marriott needs the hotels to stay and it needs SPG members too. On that basis I expect a generous gesture on the SPG/MR status match, it honestly wouldn't surprise me to see Marriott matching metal-to-metal, SPG Gold to MR Gold, SPG Plat to Marriott Plat and vice versa. We get the worst of the deal, as was the case with UA, but SPG Golds and Plats have a real incentive to stay with SPG during the amalgamation process and the opportunity to sample Marriotts much underappreciated scheme, and hopefully see the benefits the much larger footprint will bring to their travels. The problem with this is of course how that will effect Marriotts stays, because here's the kicker folks, Starwood is actually bigger internationally than Marriott. Yes, you read that right, Marriott may have nearly 4,100 hotels but over 3,700 are in the USA, leaving less than 400 internationally. Starwood has only 1,300 hotels but less than 850 are in the USA meaning Starwood has over 450 international hotels. Yes, if you're travelling internationally you should find more SPG offerings. Yet you can be a Starwood Gold for only 10 stays/25 nights. So a hard pressed international Marriott member who finds it tough to get to Marriotts demanding 50 nights for Gold may be very tempted to join SPG, make Gold by staying at Starwood brands with 10 stays over say 15 nights and be matched to MR Gold that way. It is very possible that Marriott is more concerned for its international business and fears an exodus of stays over to SPG by international Marriott members who will see this arbitrage to stay many fewer nights at SPGs and then get the automatic match to Marriott Gold via SPGs much easier-to-obtain-status.

Ensuring that interested members are well on the way to Gold via Marriott by the time the staus match crossover is announced should allay those fears and prevent any imbalance from manifesting itself.

Outstanding analysis as ever. Many thanks. As all this unfolds it gets more and more interesting. In the meantime I will take full advantage. Points rich (I know, you think I should spend them quick!) and night comparatively poor, this offer is made for me. Lifetime platinum coming a bit quicker. Currently in sunny Aruba at the Surf Club.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

Ah, man... I've got an 8-night stay in a few weeks, but this doesn't start until like 2 weeks after. :-/

I didn't get a targeted offer, but I did see it as an available promo in my account which kind of surprised me.

ramoneur Platinum

with me reaching 50 nights already end of April (some roll-over + lot's of business trips)

and an estimated 40 more for the rest of the year (in June-Dec),

this will mean I will end this year with 50 + 40*2 = 130 nights(!);

so next year I will be only 10 nights short of renewing my Platinum level

I have complained a bit about the inequality for non-Americans not being able to get a good Marriott-tied-in credit card,

and I still feel it's "unfair",

but this promotion really makes up a lot for me :-)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders!  In regards to this promotion, it is a targeted promotion and only the members who were solicited with the details/offer are eligible to enroll.  If you were not one of the members solicited, continue to keep your eyes peeled for new and exciting opportunities. 

trevfour Platinum

Not a happy chappy!

Currently, I'm a ridiculously loyal Marriott customer. In fact I've been sat with my better half who is in hospital, and when I leave at 9pm tonight, I was contemplating driving down to Peterborough Marriott to get to 14 nights, one off my mega bonus, and then travel back to hospital for 2pm visiting tomorrow. Last week, due to her being ill, we had to cancel a nice suite at Leeds Marriott, and I GAVE the hotel our 2 box tickets for River Dance at Leeds Theatre.

I must be losing my marbles.

jamarali Platinum

Hello.

If I live outside the USA, it's not the fact that I get this promotion?

Very sad ((((

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

eyes peeled!

monisame Platinum

So you have to be targeted for this. !!!!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Question to the powers that be at Marriott. Why nights?

You've got a whole lot of Lifetime elites. I'm lifetime Platinum. Elite nights mean absolutely nothing to me. Want to attract me to more of your properties? Points, not nights.

Very true, @john_thai but as I say above I think this has more to do with the SPG takeover and effect of status matching than anything else. Whilst SPG and MR remain seperate schemes there will be an arbitrage that's particularly noticeable away from the USA/Canada where SPG is the more numerous hotelier of the two but has far lower elite qualification criteria.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Most people are not LP and appreciate the nights.  After I reach LP, I may feel differently but that will not change reality.  Just because we have all the nights we will ever need, doesn't mean that they are not of value to most people.

It might be nice if Marriott would provide LPs some alternate benefit, other than Elite Nights, but I believe that would be a bit much to demand it.  It's kind of like having a restaurant offer to comp you on desert and telling them, I'm full, why don't you just refund one of our dinners.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Open up a can of worms -

All this does is allows more MR members to reach upper statuses to spread thinner those limited benefits (few that there are) among more people. "Dilution of benefits" at its best.

The promotion should be adding points, not stays that count towards status.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

That is the other downside. When everyone is an elite then no one is an elite.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I am not going to take the worm bait pingreeman ( get it? ), but just want to add food for thought.  Yes, it may allow more MR members to reach Gold/Platinum, but how many, and for how long, bearing in mind that this promotion only applies to targeted members outside the US.

Hard core elites such as brightlybob will be very pleased to add the extra nights towards their lifetime status.  But it will make no difference to their normal regular business stays or status.

Leisure travellers such as myself, will be grateful to hopefully be able to achieve Gold through this promotion, but it will only be a temporary Gold status.

BUT - how many MR members will actually gain a higher status?  Obviously I don't have the figures, but I am guessing that the number of MR members included in this promotion is a very small percentage of the overall membership.  That is based on the assumption that the largest percentage by a long way is in the US, and so not eligible.  Then there is the question of how many will reach upper status through the promotion.  Unless you are a regular business traveller here in the UK, and therefore likely to already be Gold or Platinum, it is not easy to reach the criteria required for promotions as there are so few Marriott hotels.  For instance - mega bonuses.  In the US, I believe many more of you achieve them than we do over here.

So I am guessing that there will not be a huge number of silvers reaching gold, or gold reaching platinum through this promotion.  I am on taste of Gold at the moment, but will not complete the number of stays necessary to retain it.  However I hope I am one of the few that may - and it is only may - reach Gold by the end of the year on this promo.  But it is not a permanent Gold is it.

I think brightlybob is right in his assumption that this is more to do with the SPG merger than other issues.  I honestly don't think the numbers involved are likely to dilute Elite status.

Very much agree with you here, Tommo781, though it will undoubtably slightly increase the numbers of international Gold/Plat, most International hotels don't see that many anyway, a few places where I've discussed this say the number of rooms entitled to lounge access is in the single percentages, as opposed to the regular claims I see here that a half of those staying at XYZ Marriott USA can be plats.Here in the UK/EU I find I'm upgraded almost all nights and suites run to about 10%. The only non-US crowded lounges I've been to has been the Heathrow ones, packed out with American Gold/Plats!

This will turn some international Silvers into Gold, and some Golds to Plat but I don't think it will dilute things too much, especially as with status matching to SPG later this year we will see more than enough international fullservice hotels added to cope with that. And if Marriott didn't do this it would find those points hounds interested enough in status would play the SPG arbitrage.

Once the schemes are amalgamated I expect Marriotts 50/75 requirements to be those that prevail, with SPG membership hopefully reassured that they'll find it so much easier to make the target with Marriotts much bigger footprint, so like Tommo, I think the outcome will be temporary anyway.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks brightlybob.  Having been Gold for a long time, then dropping back to Silver due to health issues and therefore less travel, I am just grateful for the chance to regain Gold for however short a period.

However, I always have lounge access (where there is one in the UK) because of the rooms I book.  But it is always nice to be able to flash that Gold card at check in - even though the hotels I go to in the UK know me anyway.

I can honestly say I have never been in a crowded lounge, but then the number of lounges I have visited is extremely limited.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It is true that I missed that this promotion is for non-USA, but I still believe that anything that dilutes membership is not a "good" promotion. Tommo781 and brightlybob do make good points as the affect on non-USA MR members will be rather muted.

Had this promotion been targeted at USA MRs, then I would be more vocal, but I will concede that it will not affect this side of the ocean.

Rather share a diluted benefit that not have the chance I guess.

alammari Platinum

this is a great offer that no one should miss (unless you live in the U.S).

I have a question though, does applying or registering for this promotion affect any other promotions you have registered for? I read the terms and conditions and doesn't seem to say anything about that which probably means its ok.

monisame Platinum

Good question!!!!. I also read terms and conditions and it seems you can add new promotions!!!. Lets see if anyone in thi discussion have other comments. .

peymanagement Platinum

It does not look like it impacts on any other current promotions, it will be interesting to see though if there is a fall bonus, I would imagine that that will overlap and have to be reconciled. And thank you again for helping me with this promotion monisame

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Registering for this promotion will not interfere with any other promotions. A member will earn double Elite nights even when that same stay is being counted for another promotion as well. alammari, monisame & peymanagement - hope this answers your questions.

alammari Platinum

Thank you Andrew, your answer will bring happiness to many.

monisame Platinum

Thanks Andrew!!!!

ChinaGold Gold

Thanks for the info, Andrew!  As a Gold member who lives in a city in China of 4.2 million people which still has NO Marriott or SPG properties, I'm personally very thankful for this double nights promotion as it will help me to again retain Gold through at least February 2018. Also, by not negating my participation in other Marriott promos through the rest of 2016, Marriott continues to be (by far) my lodging choice when travelling.

Being a market that's relatively recently (for hotel branding purposes) opened up, all the western brands are struggling to find their feet and get that big footprint. And it's all about long term (20 year plus) stability. Long term businesses, and a hotel is a very long term business, needs political stability and accountability and single party governments whilst outwardly stable have a dreadful long-term history in both those.

Whilst the Chinese government has proven adept at handling both dissent and succession (the 2 main death knells of one party rule) everyone knows the day will come when there's a miss-step and what will come next? In the meantime, in common with all one-party states, the government can't resist interfering, in other countries this has manifested itself in the railways, Autobahns or 5-year industrialisation plans. Single party governments have to interfere to prove their value to their people. Recently the Chinese government has taken to interfering in the market to suppress "irrationality". But it only interferes when that "irrationality" is downwards, never up. Effectively the government there suppresses the market "safety valve" of corrections. The problem with a market that spends years consistently going one way, unwilling (or in China's case - due to government intervention - unable) to correct inconsistencies is that the multiple untaken "corrections" have to out, and when they do, even the Rich-as-Croesus Chinese government won't be able to stop the tail-spin. If you take the view, as most do, that China can continue to adroitly navigate these issues for the next decade or so then investment in light manufacturing and projects that turn a profit in a few years continues. In the meantime sovereign funds assist in financing heavy manufacturing and "prestige building" but edge-of-city/suburban Marriotts and roadside FFIs, CYs, SHS and RI's, which make up the vast majority of Marriotts inventory and ensure the USA really does have branded hotels everywhere doesn't come into that "prestige" bracket!

All the western hotel brands will continue to seek out partners for franchising in China because that shifts the risk onto the franchisee and property developer. There remains insufficient long-term confidence in Chinas stability to enable long term Chinese investors to take the plunge, so western branded hotels are slow to proliferate. All the ingredients are there for a  speedy proliferation of branded hotels across China such as that seen in the US during the 1980's and 1990's as, like the US, it has a fairly homogenous culture, massive distances and widespread manufacturing but in China the very long term confidence needed remains lacking.

Expect continued steady growth in branded hotels, but we'll wait a long time indeed to find branded hotels on every highway and byway in China...

ramoneur Platinum

most big(ger) cities in China have some Marriott properties I found;

but still problems like: no Marriott in south part of Beijing --> forced to stay in local ones

plaube Platinum

question:

when I will redeem points for free nights, these will be honored also double?

Thanks