6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2016 7:49 AM by kathrynr RSS

JW Desert Ridge

kathrynr Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I am a platinum elite member and have been saving points so I can take my family to the JW Desert Ridge in Phoenix.  I know this property fills up quickly for spring break, so I have been diligent about checking the website and even calling the hotel and and central reservations to see if rooms are available for the days I want (4/1/17 - 4/5/17).  I have been told a myriad of things by different Marriott representatives..."we cannot book that far in advance"... "the hotel manager has not released any rooms yet" ... "the hotel is already sold out" ...

I left a message for the hotel's manager today to see if I could get to the bottom of this.

Like I said, I have been diligent in checking on this because it's part of my family dream vacation to the Grand Canyon. 

Has anyone run into similar situations? 

Advice?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
  • Re: JW Desert Ridge
    superchief1 Platinum

My experience has been that reservations using points typically don't become available until about 330 days prior to the date. I sometimes am able to book it 1 year in advance, but that isn't always the case. I've also noticed some properties don't allocate rooms for point reservations until later dates (if at all). The Springhill Suites and Courtyard in Flagstaff still shows no rooms available for MR points for the full Month of March.

The JW is a very nice property. We just returned from a week at MVC Canyon Villas which have full access to the JW facilities. You may also check availability there, although most owners never redeem their owned weeks for MR points resulting in low availability for MR awards. Good luck with your reservation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kathrynr Platinum

Superchief1, thanks for replying. I am hoping I don't have to continue to follow up with the property for availability, but I will if it's the only way to secure the room(s) I'd like using points. 

curiousone Platinum

Are you planning to visit the Grand Canyon on the same visit at the JWDR? It is a 4+ hour drive from JWDR to the Grand Canyon. For a visit to the GC I would suggest starting from a Flagstaff hotel. While you are at the JWDR checkout the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) just down the road.

kathrynr Platinum

Curiousone, yes, planning on driving to the Grand Canyon and staying on the southern rim for a night then driving to Vegas for a night and flying home.  I have not checked Flagstaff hotels but I have my heart set on Desert Ridge because my 3 kids would love the lazy river. 

curiousone Platinum

Since we live in Phoenix, the JWDR is my "go to" for b-days and anniversaries. I always stay on points and have never had any problem reserving a room, even in the high season. I don't know how old your kids are, but the JWDR seems to have a pretty good kids program available. On site restaurants are very good, but pricey. Lots of off site restaurants just down the road at Desert Ridge shopping center. Confirming Superchief, the Marriott Vacation Club Canyon Villas is just across the road and has access to all the JWDR amenities.

kathrynr Platinum

I received a call from Brittany at the hotel. She left me a voice mail indicating she can offer me a room for $500.00 a night PREPAID!!!!  I don't want a room for $500.00 a night. I called and checked and called and checked so I could reserve a suite with an adjoining room for my family of five using Marriott Rewards as I am a Platinum Elite member. This apparently means nothing, and I am so upset. For over a month their website and phone reps told me differing things, and now they are sold out because of the NCAA Championships. I don't care WHY they are sold out...I did what I thought I needed to do because I know it's also spring break. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...