34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2016 4:40 PM by monisame RSS

contact details of hotels: why no email?

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Whenever I want to contact a hotel (missing stays, special requests, lost shaver, whatever) I can only find their telephone numbers on the websites; WHY NO EMAIL ADDRESS?

Sorry to shout just there, but it is very irritating.

Especially here in China, communicating by email is much more efficient and quick then by telephone;

This statement has been proven by some actual situation where I had the email-address of a floor manager, reservation manager, etc.

an email allows for context (pictures, though-out structure, etc.) and is a natural pacer (send when you want, reply when you can, etc.).

I have even called a hotel to ask for an email address

(which is a bother - especially in China)

...so my questions email are:

1) are there hotel websites that DO state an email address?

2) is there an official reason why email-addresses are never to be found?

3) is it me? have i become so old/obnoxious/strange that i am the only one left that prefers email?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, Shanghai, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
  • Re: contact details of hotels: why no email?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

ramoneur, I agree with your frustration.  Once and awhile someone at a particular hotel will email me or give me their email, but it seems like you have to ask for it.  Did you see the announcement about concierge services for elite members?  That is something SPG has, so maybe an early effort by MR on integrating the programs.  Sounds like you'd then have a contact person to help you with any problems, needs, etc., presumably by email but maybe by phone? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I was just thinking of that this morning!  Everything about the properties can be found online, yet to have to call them for their e-mail address? 

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

This has been mentioned on other threads in the past.  The point is still just as valid, but nothing seems to have happened.  I have email addresses for my favourite UK hotels, and keep them safe.  But if I was going to another hotel, I really would like to have an email address to use if needed.  I really don't see why a contact email address is not included under the "contact us" details for each hotel.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Agree and the only way I have ever got this is from someone  on this forum

joshuapath Platinum

I totally agree to this point.

When making a reservation at a hotel for the first time, this really can be useful to seek or check certain needs but the hotel homepage does not show any email contacts. Hope this can be changed...

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Totally agree.  In our particular case, we need to have medical supplies delivered to the hotel in advance of our stay.  Marriott have been marvellous about this, but it would be so much easier if we had an email address for a hotel we hadn't been to before to send a message to.  The right person could then respond and we would have the contact details sewn up.  That's why I safeguard the email addresses I have very carefully.

NathalieF  please get Marriott to put an email address on each hotel's contact web page.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi All -

Our team passed your comments along for review and we were also able to find out the following in regards to why the email addresses are not posted.

As you know, Marriott has thousands of hotels across the globe. The properties may be Marriott managed or managed by a franchise. If they are franchised, they typically have email addresses that adhere to the structure of that franchise company. As for Marriott managed sites, the email addresses are usually tied into a person’s individual profile, as opposed to the hotel or position. Because of these nuances, at the present time it would be extremely difficult to keep email addresses up to date on Marriott.com.

Hopefully this provides some clarity, do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Platinum

It's a very easy matter to set up an alias like info@hotelname.com or whatever and that way it's not tied to a person's name. This is really not a valid excuse as millions of businesses around the world have email addresses posted on their websites.

I would agree with you it came be an email just to the hotel

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

That is so true dansplan.  All we are asking for is a generic hotel email address, not a list of all the various individuals.  Taking it to its logical conclusion, what is wrong for the large hotels to have 2 or 3 generic email address.  Such as concierge@ etc.  But just the one info@ as you suggest would be good.  That way we could contact the hotel, it could be passed to the appropriate person/department, who could then reply.

As you rightly say, many other hotels/businesses have the facility, so it should be able to be implemented at Marriott.

hassmh Gold

While from an IT perspective I do understand the point about franchises which will operate under a different domain from marriott.com, it really should not be overly complicated to set up a portal for the franchisee to update the forwarding address as needed. It's been common practice for at least 20 years to have generic emails for a business that get monitored and/or forwarded as appropriate, specifically to avoid putting a person's name out there as a point of public contact. Setting up emails like info.hotelname@marriott.com keeps it under the marriott.com control, keeps the franchisee information off the marriott.com site, but can be forwarded to the appropriate box in the franchisee's email system. The franchisee may even have a corresponding generic box, like a GM I was recently contacted by, set up as hotelname.gm@franchisee.com. If franchisees can do this, why can't Marriott?

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thankyou hassmh.  The more I see on this thread from Insiders who are much, much more tech savie than I am, the more I think this is a situation that could be easily remedied.  Marriott, your guests (paying customers) want an email contact address for each hotel.  Why not grasp the mettle and provide one?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

hassmh, you are right on.  They are just being lazy.  They don't want to pay someone to monitor and answer email, and they're worried about an onslaught of unreasonable emails they'd have to attend to.  That's all there is do it.

ramoneur Platinum

I am afraid your insight has some truth in it :-/

hassmh Gold

With proper setup and spam filtering this should not be an issue. The convenience of email versus a phone call is that email does not require immediate response, so could easily be answered by any number of staff at the hotel during downtime in their shift. If they don't get to all of them, the next shift likely will. It's very doubtful in my mind that it would require any increase in staff to handle. As other have said, if so many (dare I say most?) other large businesses can do it, there's no reason to believe Marriott cannot do so as well!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Exactly.  See my post on this thread as to what other chains do.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

There have been several occasions where I have reached back to this community, or to the community managers and/or associates to help me track down an email address for a hotel or concierge.  And, I am pleased to say I am batting 1,000.  Have been emailing the concierge at the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence - who is a rock star!!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great point, psudad.  If anyone is looking for a point of contact for a specific hotel, we can help out!  Feel free to reach out to any of us with your inquiries.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks carat.  That could prove very helpful to the Tommos, for the reasons stated in my previous post.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have long been annoyed by having t send e-mails to Marott or call hotelsw, jus to get this basic info that should be available on the web site.  Thanks ramoneur for raising this issue.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I join in the thanks to ramoneur for raising this important question and one that would make my life so much easier when pursuing point shorting via individual hotels, since it allows a record to be kept. I well recognise the danger of email address fraud but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Marriotts IT dept to find a way of dealing with it, most other businesses have...

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Couldn't agree more brightlybob.  For reasons I have given earlier in this thread (medical supplies - vital to have a contact name, phone number and email address) it isn't just a nice to have for the Tommos, it is necessary.  We are not alone; many guests would really want such a contact, for many and varied reasons.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit.

So I looked at a couple of Hiltons.  At the top of the page there is an "email us" link.  Click on it and it takes you to a generic email address at the individual hotel - not an individual.

Then I looked at Starwood.  Yes STARWOOD!  They to have an email link on their contact page that takes you to a generic email address at the individual hotel - not an individual.

Holiday Inn - ditto

Novotel - ditto

So Marriott are the exception in my small survey.  But if STARWOOD have it, surely Marriott should be seriously doing the same with their hotels.

Jsucool76 Gold

I normally look at the tripadvisor page for the hotel. Look for a response by a staff member to a review that states their name. For instance "Response by John Smith, hotel general manager" and then i'll shoot off an email to john.smith@marriott.com.

Usually works. =]

I Will be staying at marriott waikiki at both ends of a cruise next week and the front desk just e mailed me with logistics help . A nice gesture

boomer Platinum

I completely agree that this would be a great help as it would save the property and the travelers time as phone calls won't need to be routed to voice mails, calls returned, etc.  This could not only be useful for requests in advance but can also be great to make comments (positive or negative) after a stay.

I have looked at Trip Advisor in the past to find contact info but it is not always easy.

ramoneur Platinum

...so any comment from the "higher ups" at the Marriott organization regarding this?

ramoneur Platinum

...so no comment?

I don't expect Marriott will broadly provide e mails. Many on the  forum have emails for many hotels and I am sure they will provide . This is the best we will do

monisame Platinum

Agree e mail adresses seems to be a hidden gem. When I have to ask the something I try to look the property in facebook fan page and from there I can get in touch with them. There is also a link in marriott rewards web site, to ask for information about Marriott Properties its work.

pilam76 Platinum

As someone else pointed out, go on tripadvisor. When a manager comments, they almost always leave their email address after their response.

Agree it is frustrating in this day and age especially since when I comment on Marriott's properties on facebook I get a response within minutes most of the time, same goes with twitter so you know they are on social media.

ramoneur Platinum

unfortunately facebook and twitter cannot be used in China

ramoneur Platinum

...maybe we should open a separate public topic with all known emails of hotels?

what do the moderators think of this?

it may save them some time to respond to each individual request for email-addresses, but the topic should be closely moderated to only show email-addresses

ramoneur Platinum

...so, mods?
      what do you think?

should we open a topic to collect all known email-addresses?