74 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2016 9:29 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Here's a Question for Insiders - How Do You Book Your Hotel Reservations?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I noticed in one of today's newspapers that some hotel chains offer discounts to those who book their reservations directly with the hotel versus agencies such as Expedia, Hotels.com, etc.

I always book my reservations directly with Marriott (either via Internet, Marriott mobile app, or by calling Marriott 800 telephone reservation number), but I don't think I've ever received a discount for doing so, On Marriott reservations website they state, "Marriott Rewards members always receive lowest rates by booking direct." However,  I've found it more advantageous, or necessary, to call Marriott Reservations when booking reward rooms for someone other than myself, or trying to book a two-bedroom suite (such as at Residence Inn).I usually call the Residence Inn where I'll be staying to see if they have 2 BR suite available, and then call the 800 number to make the reservation, as most hotels will not allow direct booking.

Now, it appears Marriott is trying to especially entice "Marriott Reward Members" to book direct with Marriott.com (or mobile app):

Online Hotel Booking and Reservations | Book Right on Marriott.com

Just wondering how other "Insiders" traditionally book their hotel reservations - especially for staying at Marriott facilities.

July 13 edit:  In my opinion, here's another example of why I always book my travel reservations (hotel, airline and car rentals) directly with the respective company of my choice and not a so-called, discount agency:  wow. did i have a disappointing Marriott day.....

Message was edited by: fschumpert

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dallas, Texas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Dallas Central Expressway
Where do you book
  • Re: Here's a Question for Insiders - How Do You Book Your Hotel Reservations?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Always book my Marriott reservations on the website unless at the last minute a change in travel plans such as a flight divert or cancellation due to weather so there are many others needing a hotel room, then I call the hotel ASAP.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

I always book at Marriott.com because you don't get points if you book through a third party. The article is probably referring to the newly started Marriott members rate, which is sometimes lower. I am still having better luck with the CAA or senior rates though,

seatexan Platinum

I too always book thru Marriott.com.  If there is no Marriott (which is rare) I check TripAdvisor, find a hotel and book directly thru the hotels site.  It is always better to book thru the actual hotel's site or call their reservation line.  It helps to get a better room, to not be walked, and for changes/cancellations to be made.

In college I used Expedia (I didn't know any better!)... it was a nightmare when I needed to change things.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Always on Marriott.com. Same thing for airfares. Research elsewhere, but book with the airline. Too many things can go wrong when you add an extra company in the process.

I've found that for last minute changes due to weather or flight cancellations, using the Marriott app is even more convenient that calling the MR reservations line. Haven't needed it often, but it was extremely helpful for comparing rates/properties when I did.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I ALWAYS book direct with Marriott, on the basis that I am loyal to the brand, not to a booking agent.  Also, if I deal direct there is less to go wrong, and it should be easier to sort out any errors if I have dealt direct.

However, I rarely use the website to book.  There are very good reasons for that, which do not probably apply to the majority of Insiders, especially those who travel extensively on business in the US.

I am retired and mainly use the same hotels on a regular basis here in the UK.  I am known personally at 3 of them.  So if I am booking those 3, I look at the rates on the website, then phone one of my contacts at the hotel to book.  I often then automatically get offered a "deal" be it a reduced price, or the immediate offer of a better room at the lower price etc etc.  The beauty is that they then input my booking via their system, and I still get the normal email confirmation as if I had booked online.

fistuk Platinum

Naturally, always on Marriott.com!

This is due to the simple reason that I always get the LNF (Look No Further) discounted rate which requires to book directly with Marriott.

Recently Marriott added the new members reduced rates but they're quite insignificant (only around 2%-3% lower), so getting a LNF rate always saves me around 50% 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Either on marriott.com or using the mobile app.  I can look at the different rates and pick the best one.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

For Marriott stays either Marriott.com or the mobile app.

mustanggt Platinum

I usually book directly on Marriott.com.  If the reservation is a bit complicated where I might need multiple rooms or varied room types, I will call the Platinum Premier Elite number to get help with the reservation.  I wouldn't use a third party site for the reasons mentioned by other insiders.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Primarily their website (Marriott.com).  Have booked last minute reservations through the mobile app when I didn't have immediate access to a computer.  Like mustanggt if I have a more complex reservation then I'll call the Platinum Reservations Number.   Never book hotels or flights through 3rd Party websites. 

nmballoonist Platinum

Usually direct on the Marriott web site. Sometimes when government rate is not available there, go through our corporate travel agency and can get rate there. Also still get points.  

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Always directly with the hotel whether its Marriott or another chain. Its much easier. My local marriott does have significantly lower Rewards Member rates . Regular rates were 199,  aaa was 179, Rewards rate 169,  Exclusive Rewards rate was 139 +5k bonus points.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great thread, fschumpert 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

always thru web site

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Here's another question:  How do you book your car hire reservations?  I don't rent cars often.  When I do, I go through Travelocity.  Is there a better way?

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Pluto,

I have been using the Marriott car rental site to book my rental cars for the last several years.   They have continually offered a choice of rental agencies & car types that have lower rates than other sites.

It is also easier to change the reservation if a lower rate appears closer to the rental date or if I have to change dates..  No advance payment is ever required and the reservations have always been honored.    Often the car rental employee will comment "how did you get such a low rate?".

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I usually call the car rental company directly - usually Hertz.  When booking for European travel, it is advanced pay.  Then you get a voucher to present at the counter.  Cuts down on the wide variation between what was quoted and what is paid.  Often, there will be an additional charge for super coverage (i.e. no deductible) which you pay at pick up, but you know the cost before you arrive.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Thanks, psudad.  I just went and searched Hertz through the marriott.com portal.  I was quoted €24/day, €117 total including all fees for 4 days, the arrangement being pay at counter.  Nice, larger car, 42+ mpg.  Seems reasonable.  Last year, I went through travelocity and ended up renting with Sixt, didn't pay until I turned the car in and paid exactly what was quoted.  Talking about Paris here.  I like the idea of getting 5K MR points for using Hertz through Marriott.

Those points are a nice plus.  I have booked cars in Europe, where I pay when I turn it in, pay when I pick it up and pay in advance.  The most predictable has been the advance pay.  I remember arguing for an hour, just off the via Veneto in Rome, with the counter, because they insisted on charging me considerably more for coverage, than I was quoted in the US, when I made the reservation.  Traveling these days, I go for path of least resistance.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I always use Kemwel.com or autoeurope.com for my European rental cars.  They are US-based consolidators and sister companies.  Always seem to get the best rates through them.   Picking up from train stations and airports in France incur an additional fee so I pick up at other city locations.  But I don't drive on arrival day after an overnight flght anyway.  This year, I will fly in Geneva and take the bus to Annecy on arrival day.  Then I will pick up a car when leaving Annecy.

Dropping at an airport or train station does not incur any additional fee.

As a starting point for car rentals I usually go to CarRentals.com to see which major car rental company offers the lowest base rate and then go to the company's website directly.  Once there I can look for additional discounts like AAA. Since I had such a good experience with Silver Car recently I maybe inclined to use their service when I'm in one of the areas that they serve.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I always use Marriott.com. That way I know my account is linked properly, my preferences will be attached to the res and I'll get a decent rate. I've checked a few times. The Marriott site gives very competitive rates.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I always use Marriott's website for booking.    Easy to use, shows multiple choices & rates, and makes changes and/or cancellations much easier than having to phone.

However, it would be great if they would show multiple discount rates (like HH does) when booking.   You have to click either Member Rate, AAA, Senior, Corp, etc.   each time to get the best rate.  There seems to be no consistency in discount percentages..

Marriott.Com and Marriott app.

Jsucool76 Gold

I book direct with marriott for any stay under 4 nights. Anything over 4 nights I book through the Citi Prestige concierge, and carlson wagonlit travel to get my 4th night free deal. =]

Jsucool76,

When your booking through Citi Prestige to get the 4th night free are you still getting Marriott Points and Elite Night credits?

Jsucool76 Gold

Yes. During booking they'll ask for your Marriott rewards number. You'll see the reservation pop up in your account, and you earn all nights and elite credits.

Only downside is you won't get the bonus for card spend like if you were using the Marriott or Ritz credit card, however, a free night will always be worth more than those points.

One of the best parts is that even though you get refunded for the 4th night, you get points and nights for all nights, even the one you get the refund for.

Very Cool Indeed.  Getting the bonus points for the "free night" almost makes up for not getting the credit card points.

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews
          Re: Here's a Question for Insiders - How Do You Book Your Hotel Reservations?

Jsucool76Gold

Jsucool76 Gold

Glad to explain.

With the Citi prestige card, any hotel stay booked through the concierge is eligible for what Citi calls "4th night free."

As long as you book through the concierge, and pay with your Citi prestige card, you will get a statement credit for the cost of your 4th night, including taxes.

Note that this benefit will be changing (in 2017 I believe) and it will end up being a statement credit for 25% of the cost of your 4 night hotel stay, not including taxes.

Totally worth the annual fee for the card in my opinion, for this benefit alone.

The rates the concierge books are all eligible to earn points, as well as elite night credits.

If you want some more info let me know. Posting this from my phone so I tried to keep it somewhat concise. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I use Marriott.com.  It is a bit cumbersome to find the best rates, but it does the job!

greattraveltime Platinum

I always book my reservations directly with Marriott (either via Internet or by calling the Marriott Elite reservation line).

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I usually go to Marriott.com to book a reservation.

When booking multiple reservations at once, I usually phone Marriott using the especial elite number.  I find the people on that line to be quite efficient, helpful, and friendly.  To make changes, usually use the elite line.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I also book directly with Marriott through their website.

I will say that I always check my reservations starting at approximately 1 month prior to my stay(on Marriott website) to see if price per night has gone down. I check each week up to a few days before my scheduled stay.  I have found that more often than not, I can get a cheaper price for the same room type!!!

There is one particular hotel that I stay at several times per year, and I have always been able to get my room for less (typically $30 to $40 less per night!!!).

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Always on Marriott s website  and always cheek them daily after booking I'm of to Phoenix in 2 weeks time and when I booked the hotel it was $2498 for 12 nights 2 months on now it's $1629 and hopefully will fa bit more in the next  2 weeks

mevangelisto Platinum

I always book through Marriott.com. The one big issue I have with it though is that they do not show you the best rate available on the list of hotels presented. They always show the either the standard rate or a special rate, like AAA, if you asked for it as part of the search criteria. If you then click through to view the rates on a hotel, you often find a lower rate on one of the different tabs, whether it was the standard rate, AAA or a Rewards special rate.

I wish they would just be able to show the lowest rate available on this first page so that I can see them all on one glance. Right now, I have to do multiple searches with AAA and without and compare the results to find which property offers the best bang for the buck. For example, I was traveling to DC a couple of times earlier this year and doing the multiple searches showed that I could stay at one of the Ritz properties cheaper than the Courtyard property I typically stayed at.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I book my stays on-line at Marriott.com or on rare occasions via the phone (such as redeeming points for a travel package and subsequent reservation).  I follow the same procedure for other branded hotels if a Marriott is not available and for airline tickets as well.  Generally, booking stays on points and award tickets for airline travel is easy enough to complete on-line.  On-line booking is a godsend as one can avoid the endless phone tree answering programs with numerous choices and the inevitable serenade of elevator music and advertisements during the all too long wait for a real person.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I use the Marriott website or the Marriott Mobile app.  I don't see the point in giving someone else money that Marriott is entitled to.  I generally do the same for flights, booking directly with the airline, and for car rentals, booking directly with the car rental company.

jlsmith Platinum 14 Reviews

I always book through Marriott.com if one or two nights, call the Elite Line Monday through Friday if more than two nights for personal travel, or if using points, a certificate, or multiple reservations and Carlson Wagonlit for work travel. The one issue I'm finding is that when I go online is that the first rate the comes up is the Advanced Pay rate - I hate that. I don't pay in advance because my plans may change at any given moment. But ultimately, I can get the lowest rate by choosing AAA or like ne_traveling_man said above, continuing to check the rate to see if it has gone down. It's time consuming, but it's worth it. If the rate has gone down, I generally make the change online.

As a side-note, compared to the rates I get through work and AAA, the MR Member Rate has never been the lowest rate. 

jbritt51 Platinum 1 Reviews

I always book using the Marriott website.  However, if my reservation is for an arrival in more than a week, I always recheck the website.  Prices are obviously fluid as hotels try Revenue Management.  Sometimes, I am able to lower my rate substantially.

monisame Platinum

Always at Marriott.com. There is always a representative arround to help you with the reservation if you have any doubts.  I rarely use the application. .

nomadfamily Platinum

Always at Marriott.com

Though.... I have found that in some cases, the Member's rates are higher than the Special offer rates, so I do check. But I hadn't thought to cancel and rebook at a lower rate closer to the time. Good tips - thank you all!

cdhoops Platinum

I book through Marriott.com - mostly because of its convenience.

702rugbyref Platinum

99.8 % online through Marriott website

sherlock3 Member

I use the app or book on the Marriott site

jbritt51 Platinum 1 Reviews

I use the app or book on the Marriott site as well

rwtexas Platinum

I use the corporate app. (Orbitz business which will soon be axed) for business and book direct at Marriott for personal trips. It's easy to book and change/cancel if your plan changes.

ang15 Platinum

When booking for work I have to do it on my work travel site, but when booking personal trips I always do it from Marriott direct.

Dallasrediscovered Member

When you book through the app or directly on the website there is a members reward rate that you are given along with any other promotion rates that are going on or that you have registered for that aren't offered to people that are not registered as Marriott Reward members. Many other hotel chains are doing the same thing where when you book directly through them you are given a special rate but you wouldn't get otherwise. Some are even doing it for booking on their website even if you aren't a part of their reward program to get consumers to book directly through them as opposed to third-party sites. There's always a catch to the Guaranteed Rate through hotel chains because some of the discounted rates that you were getting on the third party sites or because of certain memberships that you may have acquired or it might be a secret hotel that you are signing up to get and those would disqualify you from getting those rates honored. Personally I have always found it best after my years of hotel stays to book directly through the hotel chain itself because even if by chance you are paying a slightly higher rate you get to reap the benefits and rewards from the programs that the hotel chains offer. On top of that you are much more likely to get upgraded rooms no matter what level you are at in later check outs impossible free amenities that people who booked through third parties would never get. Plus it's fun to be a part of a club.

When you book through the app or directly on the website there is a members reward rate that you are given along with any other promotion rates that are going on or that you have registered for that aren't offered to people that are not registered as Marriott Reward members. Many other hotel chains are doing the same thing where when you book directly through them you are given a special rate but you wouldn't get otherwise. Some are even doing it for booking on their website even if you aren't a part of their reward program to get consumers to book directly through them as opposed to third-party sites. There's always a catch to the Guaranteed Rate through hotel chains because some of the discounted rates that you were getting on the third party sites or because of certain memberships that you may have acquired or it might be a secret hotel that you are signing up to get and those would disqualify you from getting those rates honored. Personally I have always found it best after my years of hotel stays to book directly through the hotel chain itself because even if by chance you are paying a slightly higher rate you get to reap the benefits and rewards from the programs that the hotel chains offer. On top of that you are much more likely to get upgraded rooms no matter what level you are at in later check outs impossible free amenities that people who booked through third parties would never get. Plus it's fun to be a part of a club.

Location Brand Hotel
    Dallas, Texas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Dallas Central Expressway
    Jsucool76 Gold

Somebody really likes the Marriott member rates xD