3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2016 3:50 AM by brightlybob RSS

Earth Day Pre-Litigation

Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

XXXXXXX XXXXX

XX *** XX

XXXXX XX XXXXX XX XX

Rewards# *********

******************

*** XXXXXXXX,Hotel Manager

XXXXXXXXXX ******

XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX

XXXXXXXX XX XXXXX

As a XXXX XXXX-level member with more than XXXXX *** stays, I know a poorly run hotel from a well run hotel. I have been very displeased with my stay here for reasons you and your staff should be aware of.

Smoking: I've had an ongoing problem with people smoking in the hotel since I first checked in, on ********* X, 2014. Obviously, this is not limited to just one guest's failure to comply with the hotel's non-smoking policy, but several guests, over time, in addition to your staff's failure to adequately address the smoking problem, and the frequent lack of concern demonstrated to my complaints.

I chose to stay at the XXXXXXX ********* ****** precisely because of the non-smoking policy. Unfortunately, at this particular *** hotel, I didn't receive the benefits of a non-smoking hotel, as advertised. Guests in neighboring rooms have continually smoked-especially late at night-inside their rooms with the smoke making its way into my room. I have complained to your staff neumerous times via text message, phone calls, and at the front desk. Your staff, while polite, has done nothing to effectively remedy this situation. I continue to be awoken by cigarette smoke, and to suffer the health effects of this second hand smoke.

Expectations: Guests of a hotel have the legal right to smoke-free environment, meaning I have the right to reasonable freedom from being disturbed by guests, as well as a right to expect the hotel is safe and habitable. Moreover, hotels that are smoke-free and have free WiFi incorporate the cost of those amenities in their fee structure. As these amenities have not been provided, I have been overpaying a significant amount since the start of my stay. Because of this, ********* ****** of XXXXXXX, XX is not entitled to any additional monies.

Due to the overall lack of effort and the ability to provide and ensure me a smoke-free hotel experience by law and to comply with XXXXX own non-smoking policy, I have decided to leave the suite and hotel property immediately. I contend that you and your employees haven't met the basic requirements for providing a a quiet enjoyment of my suite, as required by law and/or by own polices, to the detriment of my health, safety, and welfare.

Remedy:

1. I owe nothing beyond the amounts already charged to the credit card you have on file. XXXXXXXXXX ****** is not authorized to make any further charges to this card, and I have informed my credit card company that any further attempted charges would be disputed. ********* ****** may keep any reward club points that I would have earned for this period of stay.

2. ********* ****** will not file any complaints against me, nor will I file any complaints against ********* ****** with any legal administrative authority.

For your edification: I have included some information pertaining to secondhand smoke in hotels.

* Enacted by the Commonwealth of XXXXXXX.:

-The general assembly of XX finds that tobacco smoke is harmful and dangerous carcinogen to human beings and a hazard to public health.

-Section 15. No person may smoke in a public place within 15 feet of any entrance to a public place.

-Section 45. A person who owns, operates, or otherwise controls a public place that violates Section 15 of this act shall be fined not less than $250 for the first violation, not less than $500 for the second violation, and not less than $2,500 for each additional violation.

*Other points to consider:

-The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) has provisions to protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke in public accommodations. Hotels are a public accommodation.

-The secondhand smoke migrating into my suite has had  substantial limitation on the "major life activity of breathing". This secondhand smoke compromises my health and prevents my further stay at the hotel.

-Secondhand smoke has been deemed a nuisance in several jurisdictions and litigants have won significant awards on such claims under common law.

-There is legal support for assault and battery claims against hotels and its employees for exposing its guests to secondhand smoke.

To all the people who have suffered at the hands of secondhand smoke in hotels. While it has worked for me,I do not represent the effectiveness of such for you however. This was not a Marriott hotel, although I've had the same issues at Marriott and have used a similar approach.

Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Earth Day Pre-Litigation
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This has really got you going eh, Wes?

I guess it's a bad time to ask how your SBS stay towards your accelerate promo is going?

I do like the letter though, it's a great template for long stayers for whom this problem must be awful when it occurs - I can stand a day or 2 of it, but not weeks - yuk!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 4 Reviews

This was written for a stay in 2014.

Are you interested in getting the 1,000 IHG bonus points and free night (that I will surely earn from May 1-Sept 5) that I will have to share with the new Share Forever promo?  I believe I've found a way to take advantage of the rules the way they're written (that exclude anyone not from North/Central/South America from receiving the shared points and free night from another IHG member). I don't know anyone interested over here, so I figured you might be. Just a thought.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

So, you're still at the Staybridge Suites then, Wes? And how does it compare to the Residence Inn, both rooms and evening stuff? I did see your earlier post on another thread with a jpeg of the SBS leaflet, which did look better than the RI Mixx, but of course that advertising guff always looks good. Any photos of the offering to share?

Whilst I'd be happy to try and receive your shared IHG promo I'm sure there's some American IHG point hounds around these parts to whom sharing would be much easier, but if none make themselves known I'd be happy to share in your largesse as it actually looks like there'll be no Euro promo with IHG at all for the summer (boo!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...