27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2016 3:01 PM by psudad RSS

Florida keys

greattraveltime Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are about to embark on our first trip to the Florida Keys. Any must see recommendations that we should add to our to do list?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Florida Keys, Florida, USA
  • Re: Florida keys
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

greattraveltime,

Great question and you are in for a wonderful experience!  First of all, be careful on "The Key's Highway's", especially if you go on Sunday or Friday night.  There are a lot of people in a hurry, so try to drive down early in the day either way.''

A few suggestions:

If you stop in Homestead, here is a good place to casually dine:  The Mutineer!

Now as you drive South, you may want to visit 'The African Queen" in Key Largo, a nice place to take a break, then.

When you get to Islamorada, the is a wonderful place to take a break, shop, dine or whatever, FH000018.jpg

This is a beautiful place to take a break!

FH000019.jpg

Relaxing deck for dining!

As you drive further South do not speed!  You will want to be especially careful when you see the signs about "Key Deer", they are rare and protected!

When in Key West, enjoy the place, but be prepared for anything!  All the Marriott properties are nice, and do use their shuttles to Duval Street, you will want to enjoy:

Sunset, IMG_0656.JPG

At Mallory Square!

IMG_0055.jpg

The Key West Lighthouse, just across the street from Hemingway's Home!  A great view of Key West!  Say hi to my friend who manages the property:

08-25-2011 07;47;00PM.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

The Hog's Breath is a wonderful place to relax on Duvall Street.  The have a camera that allows you to email anyone and show you relaxing in their place.  Across the street is another famous place, Sloppy Joe's!  All are fun!

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Wonderful photos and excellent ideas as always jerrycoin, particularly sunset at Mallory Square....but get there early for sure!

Hey greattraveltime are you flying in or drive to Key West?

A must have a weekend brunch is blueheaven as the place is so fun, friendly, very good food plus great music. 

There are so many fun places on Key West to venture out to, so go explore and tell us about it. 

Sunset sail maybe and don't forget Mallory Square!!

S3600007.JPGS3600028.JPG

IAHFLYR,

Great photo's!  Great information!

Here are a few more of my favorites:  BTW, would you and the Mrs. be my guest at The Petroleum Club in Houston for the MRI get together?

FH000009.jpg

Don't forget to go fishing in Key West!

FH000007.jpg

Never cared if I caught anything, just enjoyed the scenery!

IMG_0588.JPG

Another great place for a "Sundown", is Louis Back Yard!

IMG_0593.JPG

Even the "Birds" are friendly at Louis!

Jimmy Buffets.JPG

Don't forget to have your "Cheeseburger in Paradise", at Jimmy Buffet's!  It is really a good place to visit!

The Metior! What a ship!.JPG

Nothing like seeing the wonderful yachts in Key West!

You will find the people very friendly, especially the wonderful servers at many places to dine!

IMG_0056.JPG

I don't get treated like this in St. Louis!

It makes for a difficult dinner, but I survived! 

What a sacrifice you have to make to be you jerrycoin, what a sacrifice!!

I'd be honored to dine with you and our two wives in September, let's see what we can work out date wise as time approaches with schedules.  Thank you Sir.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, we will work out a time and enjoy a meal together in Houston!

Thanks for the kind note!  We will have a few wonderful laughs!

greattraveltime Platinum

Thank you so much for your advice. We will be driving down from Miami Beach and are looking forward to an amazing time!

Enjoy the drive and be careful on U.S. 1 as there are some very slow drivers as well as folks hauling donkey's only to be made even more fun by those who just pull out in front of you.

greattraveltime Platinum

Thank you so much for the tips! This is exactly what I was looking for.

mustanggt Platinum

If you make it to Key West, you need to go to Jimmy Buffet's restaurant Margaritaville.  He periodically shows up unannounced and plays live music.  Even if he isn't there, the margaritas are terrific!

FH000011.jpg

Great point!  A fun place to visit!  Never saw Jimmy, but everyone was wonderful including the customers!

greattraveltime Platinum

Thank you for the tip!

greattraveltime Platinum

We had an amazing trip! Thank you again for all the helpful information.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

greattraveltime  Do you have any additional recommendations for dining or activities?

How many recommendations would you like razorbackfan as I'm sure there are plenty of Insiders that can provide tips on wonderful dining, sunsets and sunset sails and more.  I know there have been some excellent suggestions provided in this thread. 

At the risk of repeating.....check out sunsets at Mallory Square always good drinks and plenty of great music.

S3600028.JPG

Sunset sails are wonderful as well.

S3600007.JPG

A fun spot with yummy brunch on weekends also with very good tunes is blueheaven.

Then a spot most would never venture into, but food is excellent and is also highly recommended by none other than our own jerrycoin is http://www.bosfishwagon.com/.

I'll take as many recommendations as I can get.  I want to be an informed traveler.  I have been making a list of all the tips so many Insiders have offered.  I really appreciate all the tips you and others have offered. 

Hey greattraveltime, you're not getting off that easily.  Tell us about your trip to Key West please with photos as well.

greattraveltime Platinum

I know I'm lagging! Crazy how much work can be waiting after returning from a one week vacation. How about we start with a little something different? I will post a few random pictures and let's see how many insiders can identify the structure or location?

120160512_134058.jpg

220160512_113254.jpg

320160512_162820.jpg

420160513_200516.jpg

520160514_161807.jpg

620160514_194649.jpg

720160514_203300.jpg

820160515_195445.jpg

20160517_123659.jpg

Ahhh there's that drive I despise that it looks like you made on US1!!

Where are photos 7 & 9 taken?

greattraveltime Platinum

7) Blue Heaven - Key West

9) Lorelei - Islamorada

Thanks, I did remember Blue Heaven after looking at the pic just not at night with all the lights as we've only been there for their lunches and brunches.

I don't recognize any of them, but I sure hope I get to see all of them when we are in Key West.  Thanks for posting.

A great seafood dining place, but very small, make sure you have a reservation!

Seven Fish, always good!.JPG

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Great recommendation.  We were there in October and had a great meal - excellent, extremely fresh fish.  You are also correct, it is tight, so reservations are a must.

Sunset from Latitudes.jpg

Here was the view from our table at Latitudes on Sunset Key.  The food, drinks and service were excellent, the view of the sunset outrageous, and the boat ride out and back was pleasant and beautiful.  We booked our reservation about 30 minutes before sunset.  You get on the boat at your reservation time and it is about a 10-15 min ride from the Key West docks.

Great tip psudad, just added Latitudes to our trip to Key West in a few months!

It is a beautiful spot.  Make your reservations early and ask for one of the tables closest to the water (pending fair weather, of course)

Make sure you time your reservation for the sunset, so you have your cocktail in hand when it starts its splashdown.  www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/key-west

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...