12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2014 12:23 AM by panusr RSS

Platinum Premier Members Unite -  ROLLOVER NIGHTS!!

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

To all of my fellow Platinum Premier Members - We need to address this issue as a group.

The roll-over nights issue of only allowing nights over 100 to count for the PP and the rest of Platium members getting credit for nights over 75 is absolute nonsense.

If the PP level is just a recognition level of the top 3% of Platinum members, then, why in their recognition are they penalizing us?

What they are saying is that by achieving this level prior to last year, we are being underappreciated by not allowing us to count the same promotion as the other 97% of the Platinum members.  They are "cheating" us out of 25 nights that would count towards lifetime status.  That's right - ROLLOVER NIGHTS COUNT TWICE TOWARDS LIFETIME STATUS!!.

That means that someone who was not even in the program until last year, if they stayed 140 nights, and earned Platinum for the first time would be credited with 65 nights towards their status the following year and would have 205 nightstowards their lifetime status.  A PP with the same activity would have 40 nights credited towardz their next year status and only 180 nights towards their lifetime status.

How is this even remotely fair????

• Re: Platinum Premier Members Unite -  ROLLOVER NIGHTS!!
    pltnmprincess Platinum

I agree with you.  If there were tangible additional benefits over platinum such as increased bonus points, free internet, confirmable free upgrades.....(something more than a separate reservations number) then it might be fair, but since there arent, it isnt.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

Am I reading this correctly?  

Roll over nights keep rolling over... and you're complaining about it?  That's a gift, friend, you can't really complain about that.  Maybe Marriott just doesn't have all the kinks worked out.  I mean... surely, at least in my case, they not going to keep giving me the same hundreds of nights over and over on top of my annual accrual each January... right?  I'll use myself as an example.  Calendar year 2009 I stayed 323 paid nights and earned 60 bonus nights for a total of 383 nights (absurd, I know).  I rolled over 308 nights in 2010, thank you Marriott, and so next year let's just estimate I'll stay 325 nights again and we wont even try to count bonus nights or what have you.  That means I'll end the year with 633 nights.  Then I'll roll over (less 100 nights)... wait for it... 533 nights!!??  For real?  and then the next year.... I'll roll over... 758 nights!!!  And then for 2013 I'll roll over damn near one thousand nights!!!  Holy moly! 

I'm sure Marriott will sort this out quickly otherwise it's going to get out of control real quick.

Troy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"absurd, I know"

60 Bonus Nights? That has to be a record.

• ROLLOVER NIGHTS MYTHOLOGY
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"As I have posted before and will post again - rollover nights dilute top-tier statuses but do nothing monetarily - you cannot turn in nights for vacation stays, Marriott cheques, or anything else of value such as free interent."

LOL. More rollover top-tier dilution-urban-legends-penalty mythology?

The overwhelming appeal of Rollover Nights has at least two tangible benefits which seem to be conveniently and repeatedly ignored in this discourse.  Upon reaching the Platinum Elite tier:

• Depending upon the brand, the Elite member receives the option of a 500 or 200 points arrival gift.
    • Depending upon eligible revenue, the Elite member receives a 50% Bonus on Base Points.

The Arrival Gift points and 50% Bonus have perceived and actual value.  Factoring the 50% Bonus at $100/night for 75 nights, a Platinum Elite member can earn 37,500 points which translates into a free night at Category 6 plus a point upgrade award with points left over. Assuming forty 2-night stays at Full Service properties opting to receive 500 Arrival points, that's an additional 20,000 points.  Heck, with 57,500 points, it's possible to take an 8-day 7 night vacation on a PointSavers award at a limited service brand.  For many families on a tight budget, that's affordable and a true value.

For the road warriors with 90, 120 and 200+ nights, the added bonus points are quite substantial.  So, where's the dilution?  Is Rollover Nights taking these bonus points away?  NOT!

It's really very simple.  In agreement with Stepping Stones, Rollover Nights has Elite appeal because it is 'common sense'.

Regrets, IMHO top-tier-dilution-thinking is pure myth.

pltnmprincess Platinum

Troy,

A couple of questions:

"I rolled over 308 nights in 2010, thank you Marriott"

Congratulations on your rollover, you should be set for the next decade.  Dont you think that your situation is somewhat unique?  You obviously dont need rollover nights to attain/maintain status, but do you think that an extra 25 nights might be important to others? 

"Roll over nights keep rolling over... and you're complaining about it?  That's a gift, friend, you can't really complain about that.

Rollover nights is a great gift from Marriott - agreed.  But Ravnwyng was pointing out a DISPARITY in the gift such that the TOP 3% of MR members - the best of the best customers of Marriott, are losing out on 25 nights counting toward lifetime status.  If a platinum and a platinum premier both stay 100 nights in 2010, the platinum gets 25 nights rolled over and double counted toward lifetime status.  The plat premier does not.  Doesnt Ravnwyng have a right to point out the descrepancy without being accused of complaining?  How else might it get resolved if someone doesnt point it out?

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

Let's try this from another angle:

A simple breakdown of the system and my understanding of what may happen:

Currently: Marriott rewarded frequent travelers with a system that made it advantageous to choose Marriott over other chains.  A win - win if you will.  Marriott retained / increased business and the consumer (me, you, us) was rewarded with an advantage over other's who may not travel so much.

Points toward a free night. Maybe merchandise.  Perhaps miles.  Perks.

Within this system there are tiers of commitment. Base, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Lifetime and Premier.  As we all worked our way to the top we enjoyed the "perks" each tier offered along the way and looked forward to the next level.  Why bother moving up?  More perks such as upgrades, lounge access, more points, guaranteed room, etc...  

Exclusivity. This has value, otherwise none of us would bother and this forum wouldn't exist.  This comes in many forms from the way we are treated at check in to benefits other's aren't able to enjoy. For example:  I've just received an email from the full service property that I'm staying at this weekend stating there is a tournament in town and check-in lines may be long and the lobby congested.  So, for Platinum and Premier guests they have set up a separate kiosk to make it a care free experience during this hectic time.  I like that I got this email.  I like that this particular property thought of ME.  Because for me, time is worth more than money. 

Soon:  Due to Marriott lowering the amount of effort / work / travel (whatever you want to call it) it takes to advance through the tier system currently in place, more people are enjoying MY / YOUR perks.  More people are going on vacation on points.  The lounge is getting crowded.  Somebody beat me to the punch on the last available upgrade.  The elite line is longer than the regular line. How is Marriott going to continue to afford to feed everybody in the lounge for free and / or with free breakfast coupons?  They might have to shut some down!  How will they field the increased number of calls from elite customers using the silver / gold / platinum / premier phone lines? The population of elite clients within the Marriott Rewards system is going to grow at a rapid pace.  I just tried to book my Residence Inn room in Louisville, KY, for a week in October and was shut down online AND on the Premier line.  Nine months out! Booked!  No platinum override.  Sorry 'bout your luck.  I even spoke to the property manager who said to me, "Call back in April and I'll have a better handle on how packed we're gonna be."  For real?!!!

I don't like that, and neither would any of us who enjoy the exclusive benefits of the Marriott Rewards program as is was one year ago.  Before rollover, before lifetime status eligibility was lowered, before bonus nights, and before it started to get... crowded in the concierge lounge!

My 2 cents,

Troy  

edited to add:  I think everyone should enjoy the chase and everyone has a right to earn their way through the MR system to the top.  What I and most of you at some point are doing is expressing a dissatisfaction with the recent changes to the program.  My situation is unique and is most likely a poor example, and... I can't figure out how to change font size.  

-- Edited by Bikesdestroy at 01/28/2010 5:57 PM PST

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I just tried to book my Residence Inn room in Louisville, KY, for a week in October and was shut down online AND on the Premier line.  Nine months out! Booked"

You must be referring to the RI Louisville East which is booked solid.  Every other RI in the Louisville area has excellent availability every week in October 2010 using points or paid:

• Louisville Downtown has Studios, 1 Br and 2 Br suites
    • Louisville Airport has Studios and 1 Br suites
    • Louisville Northeast has Studios, 1 Br and 2 Br suites

RI Louisville East has 96 suites on 2 floors.  While it is entirely possible that 96 lifetime, premier and newly minted plats jumped ahead of you, my hunch is that the RI Louisville East blocked all 96 units until April under contract.  And, rollover nights, elite status or dilution of benefits has absolutely nothing to do with the shutout.

When my daughter was an undergraduate, the university hosted an annual Parents & Alumni Weekend around the 3rd week of October.  Parents received notice in May/June. The local Marriott was always the venue for the invitation-only cocktail reception and dinner. The hotel has 319 rooms, 4 suites and a CL.  With over 2,000 undergraduates alone, you could count on the Marriott being booked w/in 2 weeks of the notice. Paid reservations only, no exceptions.  The point is that Marriott entered into contract with the University to block all rooms for parents of registered students or alumni attending the event.

When the economy improves and it will, the likelihood of a resurgence in all types of travel and group events will create conditions as described above.  When that happens, affiliation with the group blocking the rooms at a given property combined with Elite status along with the timing of the reservation will determine who gets the coveted rooms and whatever perks.  Sure Platinum Elite will receive their Arrival Points and 50% Bonus on Base Points.  But there might be a pinch regards upgrading. The likely scenario is that Guest History will prevail and that returning guests with the highest Elite status will be more likely to score the coveted rooms.

Under the Marriott Vacation Club brand, timeshare ownership determines priority, not Elite status.  Similarly, ability to pay rack rate drives room assignment at Ritz-Carlton.  These are just a few more scenarios that illustrate the 'mythological thinking' of so-called 'dilution' of benefits.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"minimizing my opinon and comments"

Platinum Premier status is a level not an individual. 'Devaluation' of points and 'Dilution' of benefits are concepts cut from the same piece of carpet which has been walked-on by many before

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Let's all step back and think logically about all this:  The Rewards program is Marriott's to change or to discontinue as it pleases. (Terms and Conditions first item) Points earned and stored in the program are exchangeable for things but have no monetary value per se. We are all nonpaying members in a loyalty program that rewards us for using the service Marriott provides.  We can choose not to use that service.

Changes to the program began (that changed my participation) in late 2008 when it was announced that the higher 50% room night bonus would be applied for Platinum members.  The change in points required for 7 night stays and the creation of a category 8 also made my points staying more expensive in terms of outlay. Rollover and double nights made things easier for me last year.

I do not expect to have everything remain the same in my loyalty program since the program is a cost to the Marriott corporation and they need to balance the cost of that program with the overall company bottom line.

Let's drill to the micro level: have any of these changes made my stays less enjoyable? No, since I have found that most times it is my attitude toward the hotel and its staff that makes a difference, more than my "status" as a Platinum Premier or Platinum Lifetime Member. 

Have I noticed any "dilution" of Rewards benefits because of these changes? Nope, the hotels that I frequent try their best to accommodate my requests, and at least treat me as they would any other paying guest.

Am I hopeful that the Program will continue to evolve for my benefit? Yes, but I also know that the hospitality world is one of intense competition and often a place where cost-cutting overwhelms service.  I hope that does not happen but know it can.

So, for me, while the argument about rollover nights, failure to get them in the 75-99 night category, and dilution of benefits is compelling and heartfelt, in my case (and perhaps many others) other variables color my check in and reservation experience with Marriott.

• I make sure I speak with associates on a common ground, I do not insist, I ask, I thank them. 
    • I follow up with notes to hotel management for feedback. 
    • I tell others of my experiences when asked, not exaggerating or downplaying the time spent at a hotel. 
    • If I get known at a certain place I then make an appointment with the GM to chat about everything I've noticed.

I choose Marriott because of the perks that Marriott Rewards offers, and hope they continue as they have for me over the last 25 years.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

AMEN!

pltnmprincess Platinum

Stepping,

Great post!!  If I could vote more than once I would.  Great way to express your opinion while at the same time not invalidating the opinions of others.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...