9 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2016 12:19 AM by phctourist RSS

Luggage Stands in Rooms?

boomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Why don't all hotels have luggage stands/racks for you to place your luggage on in the room?  I stay at the CY Annapolis and the rooms never had them key most other Marriott properties (from FFI to RC) have them. Even the nicest hotels can get bedbugs and, from what I have read, one way of avoiding transferring them form hotel to home or the reverse is not to put your luggage on the bed.  I usually end up using the couch for it to be safe.

Thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Luggage Stands in Rooms?
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

They seem to be an outdated item. Fewer and fewer hotels have them, IMO. Except the big full service. The JWM I use has a shelf that will hold two bags and give you room to open them.

I think you may be overly worried about bedbugs. Yes, they can happen. But it's pretty rare. And if the bed in your hotel is infested, odds are the couch is, too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

As you all know, here in the UK most Marriotts are FS.  In my experience, there is always a luggage stand.  I always use them, because of not wanting to put a case on the bed.  But not because of bugs or anything.  All our luggage has wheels, and these naturally pick up dirt and are also oily.  I don't want to transfer that grime and oil to the hotel bed linen.  I just don't think that is courteous.

In the past, on a cruise, they have put large plastic sheets on the beds when you board so that the linen is kept clean.  You are also asked to put the plastic on the bed when packing at the end of the cruise. 

richbine Platinum

I agree that I like to have the luggage stand in the room. Your point is well taken about the current use of roller bags and their associated dirt.  In addition, when I travel with my wife who is a bit of a germ-a-phobe, we like to keep the inevitably soiled bags off the bed and wipe and spray many other accessible items (remotes, light switches, phone, etc.) in the room.  Our concern is dirt not bed bugs in these situations.  Marriott, please keep the luggage racks in the closets at all of your properties!  Thanks.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I was going to say the only places I see them is in Europe now

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I'm a fan of the luggage stand and hope it never becomes a thing of the past!  In the absence of one recently at a CY, I just used the coffee table cube as a make shift luggage stand.  Not a fan of laying luggage on the floor or the bed.  Yes, I realize that the outside of my luggage is probably as germy as the floor, considering all of where it's been.  Still, don't like living out of a suitcase on a floor.  The Marriott's that have the huge built-in closets with shelves for luggage are fabulous.

Bed bugs, that's a whole different topic, and knock on wood, so far, so good.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

On the few times there was none, I have used the sofa or the desk.  Some places are now taking away the desk.  The other challenge is when my wife and I travel - there are never two luggage stands.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes, it would be definitely nice to have two luggage stands in a room. 

everydayischristmas! Silver

I like luggage stands, too.  Not only are they convenient, and you don't have to stoop over, there is something wonderfully nostalgic about it.  Some of the Chinese owned hotels I stay at in China still have a valet stand to lay out your clothes for the next day.  They are really intended for the suit crowd, but I use them anyhow for my khakis and button-downs.  Yes, times are moving on, but some of these perks of hotel history are still really cool to me.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Most hotels have luggage stands and if I don't find one (or two) in my room I call the front desk and usually have one within a short time.  They are definitely a way to reduce the chances for bed bugs.  BTW the sofa is almost as likelely to have bed bugs as the bed, so I don't consider it a suitable alternative.  Remember that there is a bed inside the sofa at a CY. 

When in Annapolis, I stay at the Marriott and have never been short a luggage stand.

I deo consider these items to be an essential piece of equipment in any hotel room.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...