92 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2016 7:59 PM by YogiB RSS

Why does Marriott Point-Short so often? Only 1.5 points awarded per $!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is now getting silly. Why do I have to be Marriotts unpaid policeman?

April has been a busy month stay-wise what with work in Peterborough and Windsor and a honeymoon, all at Marriotts. I've spent the first 15 nights this month in Marriotts over 6 stays, only 3 have been correctly posted. 2 have been horribly point-shorted, 1 has been missed off entirely

My last 6 stays were:

1. 1st and 2nd April - paid stay at Marriott Peterborough. Posted correctly

2. 2nd April - paid room for my sister joining me in Marriott Peterborough at £67. No points posted

3. 3rd April - paid stay at Marriott Windsor. Posted correctly

4. 4th to 7th April - paid stay at Marriott South Beach Stanton. Posted correctly

5. 7th to 14th April - redemption at Marriott South Beach Stanton. $170.46 incidentals... 212 base points posted

6. 15th April - paid stay at Renaissance London Heathrow at £86.74... 337 base points posted.

So on half of my stays the points have been incorrectly posted. An unbelievable 3 of the last 4 hotels I've stayed at have significantly fouled up my points. I should be feeling really good about Marriott right now, I've just stayed 7 nights at SoBe and taken return first class flights all on Marriott points. Instead that goodwill is rapidly evaporating on the twin altars of Marriotts most common problems, missing stays and point shorting. 3 out of 6 stays have been fouled up by 3 of the last 4 hotels I've stayed at. $390 of spending has been awarded 549 base points, the equivalent of spending less than $55. Since when did Marriott change the rules to award 1.5 base points per $ spent?

And again, at the pinnacle of this sad list of incompetence stands the Heathrow Renaissance, now no doubt chest-puffingly proud to have managed to short me, or just not bother to post points at 3 of my last 4 stays with them. How does it manage such incompetence? Why isn't Marriott retraining this place?

So now I must endure "ordeal by customer service" where I am expected to produce my bills and explain how they're wrong and then police the replies and make sure they all come in. And last time I suffered this series of incompetence it took over 2 months and several calls to sort it all out as rectification took place on the drip. It was only finally resolved after I blew my top at them on New Years eve... I feel my temperature rising already. Then we have to argue about appropriate compensation for policing this serial incompetence. Yet it continues unabated.

Argh... Why, Marriott, why????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hounslow, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Miami Beach, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Stanton South Beach
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Peterborough Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Why does Marriott Point-Short so often? Only 1.5 points awarded per $!!
    AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So sorry to hear about this,

Please send me a direct message with your Rewards number and I will pass these stay dates along to our team to clarify.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

brightlybob that is frustrating, To be honest, I have never actually checked the detail. Maybe I should.

I hope your trip went great otherwise.

See you in September.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Sometimes I don't even bother when I am off by 500 points if they don't apply the free platinum gift .

seatexan Platinum

Same here peymanagement! I always just assume things are posted correctly. :/

I should look into my stays from now on.  I don't think I will bother with any past ones.  I need to learn which properties award 10 and 5 per dollar spent.  hassmh said it was stated somewhere in the Term of Service. EDIT: bejacob to the rescue!!! Re: What does LifeTime Platinum Mean?  Perks?

Then there is that percentage added depending on status... *head hurts*

brightlybob do you have a spreadsheet set up???

OH, SeaTexan, I'm a luddite, so no spreadsheet. Instead I have a system for expenses and when I first noticed this issue a few years ago I simply began ensuring all Marriott bills are added to my expenses system, so I can police Marriott since it clearly doesn't police itself.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

SeaTexan I have a spreadsheet.  I also include credit card points as well, to make sure I get what I am entitled to.

I am impressed, Tommo781, are you finding any pointshorting going on?

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I had an issue last year which I think I mentioned on another thread brightlybob.  We stayed for 9 nights, and friends came with us for 3 nights, which I booked and paid for.  We got 3 elite nights for their room instead of 9 for our own, and the points for our room but not theirs, when we should have had points for the total spend for both rooms.  That came to a lot of points short, and 6 nights.  We got it sorted out, but what a lot of messing about!

I dont remember seeing your issues before. Although I try to look in daily I can miss a few days and stuff here rapidly sinks into the bowels. Pleased to hear it got sorted for you, though I'm disappointed but alas unsurprised it was a struggle. That's my experience when dealing with Marriott point shorting, call, copy bill, remind, remind again, call to push, get acknowledgement. Rinse and repeat as required!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Aha at brightlybob.  Found you out!  I am not the only one who has "senior moments".  I was looking through my posts to find out something to refer Seatexan to, and I found it.

I said:-

"Must admit, I have rarely had problems.  Mine are usually posted the day after here in the UK too.  The only times I recall having to get points corrected involved the same scenario.  Two rooms booked under my Rewards number as we were staying with friends and the points and elite nights were wrong.  For instance, one hotel we stayed for 9 nights, the friends came for 4.  I didn't get the points for their room - even though I paid - but was awarded 4 nights instead of 9.  Weird!  But even those errors got sorted out in a couple of days."

You replied - yes you replied:-

"Yes, I find it's mostly right but I'm still getting significant point-shorting two or three times a year and at least one missing stay most years. That's out of around 30 stays per year. Keeping track of it is a pain and I don't see why it's necessary, as IHG have an excellent system that never shorts or misses stays, so it can be done!

Still prefer my Marriotts though "

Welcome to my world!

The only brands that pay 5 points per $ are Towneplace Suites and Residence Inn. Everything else is 10 points per $ on the roomrate with FS hotels (Autograph, Marriott, JW, Delta and Renaissance) also paying 10 points per $ on incidentals charged to the room.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It's pretty important to track points to make sure things are credited properly. The more stays you make, the more important it becomes to be organized. I've only had to go after points a couple times, but knowing what you should be getting makes it easier to be sure things are correct.

I use a two-part spreadsheet. The first part is basically a summary by month (including bonuses, credit card earnings, and Insider points) of what I earned along with running totals of my current points balance and lifetime totals,

points p1.PNG

The second part is specific to the actual stays (I use the date the points posted, but the date of the stay also would make sense). The "Extra" points are Platinum Arrival gifts and points for when the lounge is closed.

points p2.PNG

I sum the totals each month and use that to fill in my spreadsheet part 1.

What you see here (in both parts) covers December thru March. Many of us track our points. This is how I do it. FInd a way that works best for you.

seatexan Platinum

Whoa! that's impressive.  Yes I should make a spreadsheet too.

Base would be the number in dollars at the bottom of my paper bill minus parking and taxes? or does it include room tax? EDIT: I just figured out tax is not included only the room rate itself.  Or at least that is how it was done for my Marriott North Houston stay.

EDIT TWO!: BUT I do get the points anyway for tax in the end for using my Marriott CC... just at the lower 5 points per $ spent.  Can't complain there .

Aha, a little off topic SeaTexan, whats the Houston Marriott North like? I'm due there the Thursday and Friday nights after TIPPLE, so a review about the hotel and lounge would be helpful.

OH, and as a favour for a favour (favor) - no Marriott points are awarded on Tax. Parking usually does qualift for points unless it's an outside contractor/carpark

seatexan Platinum

Ha the Marriott North! Well I went on a weekend so the CL was closed and even if it were open I was still just a little silver fish in the sea! Seeing as I booked the room, we didn't get perks that my mom (plat at the time) would have had she booked it. 

Re: Marriott Blooper

I warned you!

2 nights... don't do it! Right IAHFLYR?  It's not interesting in the least and there is no where to walk. Ref. to gas station pump sign and walk at your own risk!  Now if you don't plan on leaving the hotel and just lounge around or work all day, it will be fine for that.

While I was perfectly comfortable for one night, I would not have stayed two.  The highway noise is pretty loud and being its RIGHT on the Beltway 8... the noise is 24/7.  Free shuttle to the airport tho!

I wish I could tell you about the lounge maybe someone else can.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

SeaTexan

I'm not going to say "I told you so", but as pluto77 says, "lesson learned".

brightlybob, if it were me, I'd avoid the Houston North Marriott Greenspoint.  Unless you just want to be in that place for convenience of a meeting place and then I'd still avoid it.  Heck the IAH Marriott would be a better selection and is 10 minutes from the North property, even better drive the 20 minutes from The Woodlands area hotels if you must be at a meeting in Greenspoint.

Thanks very much for that info about the Marriott North SeaTexan and IAHFLYR, and your no doubt wise counsel to avoid the area, but I'm not sure I can resist spending the 2 nights there... Allow me to explain.

FIRSTLY... No car, I'm relying on cabs/Uber and public transport. I'm a happy busser!

My plan for Wednesday after TIPPLE (21st Sept) is to be at the Icon overnight when I'll checkout in the morning, leave my bag with concierge and take the quick walk to the Houston civil courts where I'll spend the Thursday (22nd), and thereafter have a drink with the attorneys I meet. Once suitably oiled I'll then make my way back to the Icon to collect my baggage and get a cab to the Houston North where I'll arrive late, checkin and sleep. The next day (Friday 23rd) I'll meet up at the next door AGs office around 10/11am where I'll stay for the rest of the day, and maybe a drink afterwards (though deputy Attorney Generals may not be the sots trial lawyers are) returning at the end to sleep at the Houston North and checkout the next morning (Saturday 24th) at 11am for my connecting United flight back to the UK via DC (anyone want to speculate on my chances of a silver upgrade?)

So as you can see Gunspoint is undeniably convenient for what will be just 2 overnight sleeps, however It's mainly the cheapskate in me that is finding it irresistible, the Marriott North is on a special "weekend" 2-night offer - only $59/night!!! - Gunspoint or no Gunspoint - and it has a lounge AND free airport shuttle - yet more cheapskating! Now I could stay at the IAH Marriott on the Friday night after the AGs office which would work as it's the night before my Saturday flight and I could sample the delights of the M lounge (if it's open Friday night) something I've yet to try, but that would cost $160, just for that night. That's more than the cost of both nights at the Marriott North! And I'm still at a loose end on the Thusday night. I could still spend that at the Houston North but it would cost $180 just for the one night - for Gunspoint... That makes very little sense. I could of course stay the Thursday night downtown and sample the delights of the JW Downtown, but at $360, I think not! Extending my Icon stay could work but would cost $260... Ouch! Even the CY or RI are $200.

You see this trip is funded by my own self employed business, so at the end of the day I'm paying the cost - less tax relief - out of my own profits and hence my own pocket. 2 nights resting my head in a busy work schedule means whether its Gunspoint, Downtown or Airport makes little difference. That deliciously comfy Marriott bed is after all still a Marriott bed, whichever neighbourhood its in, right?

So now you know my plans, will you 2 change your minds? Or should I?

seatexan Platinum

Untitled-1.jpg

I hope you get a ride! The hotel should be able to drop you off.  The AG is pretty close.  Considering you will be pretty busy all day, and you aren't REALLY going to hang out there or be stuck in the hotel for long, $59 sounds like a GREAT deal!  The Marriott does make good drinks .

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

brightlybob sure sounds like you've got a huge plan and I'd stick with it since you won't be seeking any food or beverage much outside the hotel.  My only question might be where on earth do you plan on enjoying "oiling" up the folks after your meeting near Greenspoint?  That is a very good question my friend!!

Obviously it'll be easy to choose a bar after my meetings at the civil courts downtown, but my Greenspoint AG meeting on Friday is I think less likely to lead to a good soak-up because:

a) AGs are generally more earnest and skinter than their more long-in-the-tooth trial lawyer compatriots, and

b) As you point out, it's Greenspoint, and whilst I'm sure there are local bars in the area I can't see any deputy AG likely to be very welcome - but you never know, there may be a skinhead tattooed gun-toting hard rocker deputy AG working there!

Just look at your activity on Marriott.com

points p3.PNG

It's pretty easy to tell if something is missing. WIth the itemized bill, figuring out if points were calculated correctly doesn't take much effort.

peymanagement Platinum

Bryan did you find any discrepancy in that time? I went back though mine an hour ago and only found a hertz rental that has not hit yet,

I think the only issue I had was a couple of bookings I made on Marriott.com that I used the advance purchase rate. In two different instances, the Platinum Arrival Points did not show up. As I think back, both hotels didn't know I was Platinum until I mentioned it. Something about prepaid rates appearing as third party bookings. I recall asking the customer service rep who corrected my points to pass that info along to the IT folks. I haven't used the advanced purchase rate since, so I don't know if it's still a problem.

BTW, it's Brian with and "i." No big deal, just thought I'd mention it. More often I get people adding an "s" to my last name. That happens with some regularity. I just tell them I'm not plural, thank you very much.

peymanagement Platinum

I have been lucky on the on the points too. Sorry about the spelling, I noticed it when I sent it, but you responded before I corrected. My cousin has a y..lol and interestingly enough his name is j****bs, a small world.

Wow, Brian only a couple of mistakes in your extensive and closely monitored stay pattern? I originally thought that USA hotels would be more accurate than international due to the ease of calculating 10 points per $, yet here I am after only 4 USA stays having had to chase up inaccuracies on 3 of the 4.

1. Oct 2014 Marriott Philadelphia "forgot" to post the 1,000 points per night in lieu of weekend breakfast

2. July 2015 Marriott Marquis NYC "forgot" to post the 1,000 points per night in lieu of weekend breakfast

3. April 2016 Marriott Stanton Miami Beach awards just 212 points on $170 incidentals

Each shortfall is 2,000 points. It's a shameful record. Truly shameful how these hotels are ripping off loyal guests. How many thousands of points are these properties saving from guests that don't check, and worse, how much damage is being done to Marriotts reputation by those who just can't be bothered to chase it up.

What say you Marriott? Why is this happening? What, if anything is being done to address it? Or does Marriott just prefer to do nothing, whistle in the corner, blame the franchisees and pocket the difference? Seems like the latter to me!

Very impressive, bejacob, if a little sad - surely you must have better things to do than keep detailed accounts about your dealings with Marriott - oh of course you're an accountant, your life is crammed with this stuff

Guilty as charged, sir. Some aspects of being an accountant don't go away when I leave the office.

What I haven't tried to do is figure out the value of MR points. Luckily, I know a few folks who have. I just hoard them until I use them for a two week Hawaiian vacation or something equally as enjoyable.

trevfour Platinum

I've had 11 stays over the last 2 months, including 5 at Renaissance Heathrow and 2 at Peterborough. All points posted correctly apart from 2 instances where additional bonus points stated at time of booking were not posted until I queried with the hotels concerned. I must admit, I do check after every stay.

mustanggt Platinum

You absolutely have to monitor your points after each stay to ensure proper credit.  I have a few issues every year.  Presently I'm waiting for the "10 day" period to pass so that I can file a missing stay report.  It's crazy that this is an issue.  The problem must lie with the individual properties.  Marriott should credit a customer with bonus points anytime there are missing points.  The cost of these bonus points should be charged back to the property as a penalty.  Maybe then management would come up with some air tight procedures to eliminate these problems.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

mustanggt, I think it is the individual properties.  It took me 2 emails and a call to MR to get my points from a recent stay at the Cosmopolitan.  If I hadn't followed up, I bet I never would have gotten them.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I can't be absolutely certain, but I am pretty sure the individual hotel has to "press a button" or input something for us to get our points following a stay.  They certainly have the ability to adjust points themselves - I know that for a fact because of a discussion I had with a Marriott manager a while ago.

Platinum

This is true Tommo781  The front desk needs to actually submit the request for points to corporate for them to post. Seems they could use a modern update to the whole system, but for now, with a bit of manual intervention now and then, it mostly works. I just think Marriott should realize that whenever a guest has to "work" just to get what's supposed to be due in terms of points, the whole experience goes from being a positive to a negative.

peymanagement Platinum

"I just think Marriott should realize that whenever a guest has to "work" just to get what's supposed to be due in terms of points, the whole experience goes from being a positive to a negative"

dansplan, your statement is so true. The very last transaction that happens with a stay is the points being credited to our accounts. If this final step fails, it leaves a negative feeling towards the property. You may not remember the minor maintenance issue that arose half way through your stay but you will always remember the points not being posted or posted wrong. I had a wonderful 9 day stay at a Marriott property two weeks ago but still no points, Therefore I am irritated.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Two of my stays from early last week have failed to post to my account despite having received the e-folios promptly.  Just waiting for the required 10 days after check out to file a missing stays request. 

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I always have issues with points when I stay at resorts and it is always a hassle but it does eventually get corrected. My most recent resort stay was at Grand Cayman and they did not credit me any points for my incidentals and they credited me points based on Cayman dollars instead of US dollars which was the currency I had to pay in from my credit card.

I rarely, although it does happen, have issues with points credited at non-resorts but I am vigilant now to watch it. After returning from a trip from a resort I am always prepared that my credited points will be incorrect and just expect to have to call or e-mail Marriott. I wish they would correct these issues. I understand your pain !

I Would add that after Andrews involvement the missing points were dealt with, so thanks AndrewT for your help here.

Now point-shorting and missing points has only happened twice to my extensive staying freind bejacob, yet to me it's a regular event?

Why is that? Maybe I'm a whingy-Brexit-Brit, but I stay and I pay, but here we go again... Not one but two!!!

7-10 July at Marriott Chateau Champlain... i booked 2 rooms, one for me for 3 nights and another for a friend for 1. The 3-nighter is missing.

12-14 July at Quebec Delta... Missing entirely.

Now you might think I'm staying lots and a few missing stays here and there hardly seems worth it, but the missing poinints total over 10,000. In fact I've eschewed Marriott for a short while making only 7 stays including these 2 since my major whinge that triggered this thread in April, so this represents a near 30% failure rate. What is going on Marriott? Do you have a contract out on my stays, because it sure feels like it

And again, I ask, Why, oh why do I have to police this litany of failure