22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2016 5:05 PM by seatexan RSS

What does LifeTime Platinum Mean?  Perks?

GoToGo Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So, I just found out recently that Marriott had a LifeTime platinum status. I never know...I just always travelled a lot and was always platinum.  It turned out I have 886 nights and 2.7M points and was declared LifeTime Platinum in 2014.  But I don't recall ever being notified....of course not knowing they had such a program I might have just ignored something.

So - is there any special benefit to being LifeTime Platinum?  If you're an airline member, they make a huge deal over their 1M milers, etc......

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What does LifeTime Platinum Mean?  Perks?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

One benefit. You no longer have to renew your Platinum status each year by reaching 75 nights. No matter how few nights you stay, Platinum status is yours to keep.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

I agree with you that there should be some notification, I have not got there yet and maybe never will, but it is a huge milestone of loyalty, I think that Marriott should recognize you. Recognition is a fundamental to loyalty,

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Agree also . I was lifetime for a couple of years but still was earning platinum and once I stopped earning it I got a lifetime card which of course I haven't ever needed to use

seatexan Platinum

I wonder if earning Plat every year overrides the earned Lifetime in the system so it's not recognized? I doubt someone actually looks at accounts and its all computer driven.  Maybe a trigger should be added to the system if this is the case.  The system does keep count as you can click on your status see how far along you are.  I am not a programmer, so I don't know what would be involved.

The system might check nights first, then check where you stand lifetime wise when it sees you are low on nights for the year of that given status.  Just a theory...

peymanagement Platinum

And a good theory my dear and respected friend, but it is kind of like the sales rep who makes required quotas every year of her career and gets good bonuses, but after 25 years someone gives her a golden watch, a party and cake, and she feels special.

seatexan Platinum

Well Marriott should fix its system and recognize (in a timely fashion) those that have been so dedicated.  Lifetimers have given a lot of time and money to Marriott.  A gold watch would be very nice.

I would settle for a nice letter and some cake too. Maybe a compensated stay at a Cat 9 for a weekend get away.  I know they were giving out TILEs. I bought some and they sure have have come in handy, but I found out they die after one year of use.  

I do find it a bit strange that people on here that have earned Lifetime Plat were a little let down once they achieved it.  It is slightly disheartening.

hopefully a better system can be put in place for recognizing people.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I am looking forward to reaching lifetime Platinum 12 to 18 months from now.  Just having the benefit will be reward enough for me.  Marriott will be extending to me Platinum Elite benefits for the remainder of my life and that's all the reward I require.  It will be great, not having to make an unplanned trip in December just to get my Platinum for next year.  I'll also appreciate not having to stay at a CY when it's the only available Marriott property at my destination.

I really don't think that Marriott owes me any recognition beyond extending me lifetime Platinum benefits.  Of course, I'd enjoy a weekend at a cat 9, but I don't think that it's something that I should expect.

I expect Marriott to continue treating me the way they always have, which is better than any other big hotel company ever treated me.

seatexan Platinum

That's awesome phctourist! You make some great points.

Let us know if they send you an e-mail letting you know.  My mom got gold lifetime and didn't know it until I pointed it out to her a few weeks ago while we were booking something on her acct.  She thought they would at least send a "Hey Congrats!" e-mail.  She was Plat at the time, but she told me she dropped to gold last week and Marriott wanted her to buy her Plat back.  She didn't as she knows she can get it again this year.  So it really does make me wonder if it is a computer blip in not letting people know.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks,for trhe good wordsSeaTexan.  I received no notice when I got LT Gold, but there is a simple display.  After logging in click on <my Account>  and then <Lifetime Status>.  To find out your progress on lifetime status, click on <Learn More>.  I'll let you know when I reach LP status.  I have more than enough points and after June, I'll be about 90 nights short.

seatexan Platinum

What helped you get the points?  I read that most people have the nights but the points are lacking. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I made the points last year but I'm still over 100 nights short...

seatexan Platinum

What is your secret?

My secret SeaTexan is I'm afraid an expensive one

Here in England we have virtually only FS Marriotts, Rens and Autographs, so you'll never see a cheap £35 ($50) night. So my business nights are all usually £100 or more. That and a couple of 100-night years with all the 3 megabonuses plus extra promos run during the recession enabled me to clock up some huge numbers between 2007 and 2013. It's far more difficult now to earn those kind of points each year. Last year my paid stats showed:

30 stays

44 nights

£5,000 spent

150,000 points received

Staying only FS it's easy to see how I found myself with 2million lifetime points but only 600 nights...

seatexan Platinum

I thought I read a comment somewhere about certain brands giving more points. I think maybe bejacob said something but I could have misunderstood. Are points given based on brand or just the price, maybe a combo? I have seen some really crazy expensive Courtyards and Res Inns. 

I suppose just being Plat helps A LOT with gaining points too!

hassmh Gold

The specifics can be found in the Rewards program details, but as I understand it all properties give 10 points/$, except RI and TPS which give 5 points/$, on the room rate. Some properties, like the Marriott brand, also give 10 points/$ on additional spend like restaurant charges and other things billed to your room, while other brands do not. So the best brands for building points are those that give 10 points/$ on all spend, and charge everything possible to the room. I think what brightlybob is saying is the vast majority of his stays were at these types of properties, so he maximized his points/$ and also spent more per night than those in the US that may make many cheaper stays at places like FFI or CY when those cheap rates are available, building nights but not so many points.

Exactly, hassmh, my stays as theyre FS are more expensive, and my incidentals receive points - and all at 10 per $. There's only 1 RI and 2 CYs here in the UK out of 70 hotels. Until last month I hadn't stayed at any of the 3 but I was at the very nice LGW CY at the end of last month and having spent about £40 there on incidentals it was painful when only the roomrate received points! Alas thats the way it is. And as SeaTexan points out the Platinum bonuses help pile on the points too!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

This may help SeaTexan.

brand earning.PNG

As the others mentioned, some brands only earn points on the room rate while others include "qualifying charges," dining being the main one (on very rare occasions, I've even gotten points for paid parking). Charge everything to your Marriott Rewards credit card, and run up the points total even faster.

There there is the Platinum Arrival Gift, which also varies by brand.

PAG.PNG

Choose points over the food & beverage credit/amenity. It can add up quickly, especially if you make a lot of short stays. These points are separate from the 50% Platinum bonus.

With many properties now allowing points for forgoing housekeeping, that's another way to run up the total a bit.

seatexan Platinum

GoToGo Congratulations!

bctg77 Platinum 6 Reviews

I am also within 12-18 months away from receiving Lifetime Plat. status.  I will reach the points requirement by mid-summer and then just will need some additional nights. I keep track of my status but I do hope that Marriott will at least send an email or something.  As for the benefits, I am happy with the fact that I will have Plat. status and not have to worry about getting there each year. It has taken a long time for me to reach this status but I think well worth the effort, especially getting Lifetime status and the benefits that come with it.

I will look forward to Marriott still taking care of me and treating me a little special each time I check in.

GoToGo Platinum

Some asked what helped me get the points - honestly - get the Marriott Rewards Credit Card - when I wasn't traveling as much, using the card helped me stay platinum and get huge chunks of points.

But interestingly, now that I'm Marriott Platinum for Life, I'm less convinced I should keep using this card and maybe use something like Platinum Delta Airlines.....the STATUS is probably more important than the points....and now that I have the status, I can use another card and try and get my lifetime status (1M miler) on Delta Airlines....

It's a game, why not play it.

seatexan Platinum

I have the card so I am at least on the right track .   I use my Amex for most things but I am considering changing that.  I do love my Amex...I feel its a lot more secure and if I have an issue its resolved quickly.  Tho so far so good with all my MR card purchases.