5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2016 2:25 PM by peymanagement RSS

Prepaid Rate Frustration & terrible customer experience

travelingangler Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am fed up with Marriot, and terrible costumer service that has nothing to do with the hotel stay.  Four of my last six bookings I have been forced into a prepaid rate.  In February I booked a stay in New Orleans for Jazz Fest which is next week.  I was told that only prepaid rates were available and I could not cancel after 24 hrs.  Later that day I called to cancel the first night, and booked a room near the airport instead, which was also a prepaid rate.   Despite 4 phone calls and 2months, I have not been refunded ($750 for 2 rooms) for that first night which I attempted to cancel within 24 hrs.  I was told that the person I spoke to modified my reservation instead canceling it, as I was told.  I have spoken to 4 different people, who have told me... "oh well", or that it would be referred to someone else and they would contact me.  2 Months, not a single call back, and I have still not been refunded.

I also booked 2 different stays in Panama last month, again a prepaid rate booked on the Marriot website.  (Note: The Sortis: AC in Panama City does not honor the breakfast for Gold and Platinum members).  It has taken a month, 4 emails, and emailing receipts 3 times to get the stays credited and rewards points for a stay that I booked on their website, prepaid with their branded credit card,  and I received satisfaction surveys about.  It shouldn't be this difficult.

What is going on with Marriot?  If this is how they treat Elite members, I cannot imagine the service received by others.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Prepaid Rate Frustration & terrible customer experience
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi travelinganglerSo sorry to hear of this. I'd like to provide support. Would you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number and confirmation numbers of the stays you've mentioned?  Thanks in advance. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Sorry, but if anyone books a prepaid rate, that is exactly what it is.  Prepaid.  In my experience, Marriott only does this at times of an event in the immediate vicinity, and needing to be sure that they do not end up with a load of cancellations a few days before which would cost them a shed load of money.

I really don't understand the complaint.

travelingangler Gold

The rate is prepaid, but the policy states that it can be cancelled within 24hrs.  I called 5 hrs later after conferring with my wife, to cancel and booked a different room at a different hotel.  Despite multiple calls and 2 months passing I have never been refunded for the cancelled rooms.

To add insult to injury both hotels still have rooms available at lower rates than I was forced to prepay over 2 months ago, but that is not my complaint.  I can accept that as my risk, but when I call and cancel within their parameters and am told I will receive a refund for a cancelled stay.....I expect it without having to make a half dozen calls, be given the run around, no follow-up, and having to wait 2 months.

peymanagement Platinum

travelingangler, It sounds to me that you have a case, especially seeing that the date has not arrived and you cancelled the reservation a few hours after you made it, that is clear in the ToCs. I have been fortunate to have had all of my issues resolved quickly by the first Marriott person that I talked to, Now, I am going to give you a little advice with respect to the tone of your entries on here. You are on the offence, If you convey the same frustrated tone when you are talking to CS people, you may not get as much resolution as you hope. Stay calm, respectful and remember it is your 750 USD that you are trying to get back. treat it as your problem not Marriott's,  This should have been resolved two months ago.

seatexan Platinum

Did you get a cancellation e-mail from the hotel?  It should have also reflected it was cancelled in the "cancelled" section of your online account.  If you got these e-mails, that would prove you did cancel.  I always make sure I get one of these and I keep it.

You are right, it should not be so difficult to get credit for your stays.  There was another posting here about the JW in Panama and how difficult it was to deal with them. 

You are brave to go to Nola for Jazz Fest! I haven't been as I think it will be a zoo!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...