8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2010 12:27 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Not enough loyalty?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to a recent study all loyalty programs have missed key opportunities to connect with their most frequent customers.

Maybe, maybe not but worth checking out.

• Re: Not enough loyatly?
    kahunapremier Platinum

Hyatt and others have called me and basically given me upgrade status, which is another reason hotels are feeling the "depression pinch".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Not enough loyatly?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Great article.  I agree with the statement,

"loyal consumers expect marketers to understand them better and deliver more relevant and valued offers"

The immense popularity of Elite Rollover Nights and Double Nights reflects Marriott's keen understanding of an elite-driven loyalty culture that spans the major brands in hospitality. 

On the other hand, Marriott still has ground to cover in responding to the high % of loyal guest feedback favoring complimentary internet across all brands for Marriott Rewards members.

My hunch is that complimentary internet will be as popular as Elite Rollover Nights and be very persuasive in recapturing business that went to other brands.  As several Insiders have pointed out, Marriott is bundling complimentary internet in corporate room rates. 

While unsurprisingly conservative, the approach places smaller organizations and the self-employed at an unnecessary disadvantage at the full-service brands in a way that undermines brand loyalty - IMHO.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Not enough loyalty?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Pingreeman -- that may be.  they did the same thing to me when I suggested that people quit whining...not directed at anyone specifically, just generally speaking...but the moderator sent me a message and accused me of harassment.  Oh well, I guess it's their site.  If it was mine, I'd probably be deleting a bunch of what I consider junk posts too.

tjcnewyork Platinum

All,

Community and content go hand-in-hand. Insiders participate in this online forum because of the content.  When controversial topics arise, of course there will be heated debate. 

The best illustration is the Welcome to our 2009 Program Changes forum! (which will take several minutes to load because of 600+ messages.)  As many active Insiders know, this very heated discussion was removed from Insiders last February and restored in July.  Examining the Profiles of some of the most active posters in that discussion reveals that posting activity ceased after the discussion was removed.  If content is removed, then the reason to come back no longer exists. 

If building a thriving online Insiders community is Marriott's objective, then removing a message because of errant words is counterproductive. There has to be a better way.  If a word or phrase crosses the line, why not simply bracket and replace?  For example:  [####]. 

A 'bracket and replace' approach offers an alternative.  Visually, it alerts the author and the community that an edit was required without the disruption and disengagement that deletion can cause.  At the same time, it's respectful of the author's intent to provide a meaning contribution; and respectful of the life of the community focused on the candid exchange of views and opinions.

james30 Platinum

I agree with the article and particularly agree with PINGREEMAN.  

tjcnewyork Platinum

"UPDATE - My post is back again - and in its entirety!"

Good - the restoration diffuses any potential issues about censorship. Now, we can go head to head.  (ducking) 

Question - do disclose where the stats about forum membership come from?  The numbers are fascinating.

If I recall, access to Insiders by all Marriott Rewards members is more recent.  The forum was initially exclusive to top tier Elite.  Perhaps that explains the skewing towards top tier?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Click only on "Ambassadors" under advanced search and you will get 11,357 results.  I can only see two Ambassadors listed at the moment on the site.  But if this is the total universe of members who are active with Insiders as a whole it's a big number and growing.

Gallup and Rasmussen do not survey that many folks to extrapolate to the entire population of the US in their polling.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Near the top of this page Under the Search/Go is Advanced Search"

Fascinating.  I wish there was a way to identify MVCI owners as a group and by Elite status, too. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...