17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 9:59 PM by misterchk RSS

Update on Marriott Lifetime Status

kahunapremier Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

This seems to be an ongoing discussion and really, I am surprised that Ed French or Marriott Rewards haven't addressed this (maybe they have, but haven't searched on this board for the answer) as they would officially end all known rumors and such.

What MIGHT not be known, but only to a few (excuse me if other's knows this, as I have been busy with coaching two sports-and traveling with no time to get on this board) is that recently Marriott has made changes to the Lifetime status program, (thought I would help those that don't know about this) so here goes.

What we KNOW

Three levels: Silver, Gold and Plat

Have to be in the Marriott Rewards program for 12 years

Have to be at the Platinum level for ONE year

Nights at Silver=600

Nights at Gold=800

Nights at Plat=1,000

Points at Silver=1 Mil

Points at Gold=2 Mil

Points at Platinum=3 Mil

What has CHANGED

Everything is the same, EXCEPT for the following:

Points at Silver=1.2 Mil

Points at Gold=1.6 Mil

Points at Platinum= 2 Mil

Once you achive the Lifetime Platinum (also known as Platinum Emerities) then if you don't travel, you will be recognized and continue to receive Platinum perks.

I think the changes are wonderful (in these current economic times) and glad to see Marriott reward time traveled business folks, who value the Marriott brand. In return, I continue to support Marriott.

• Re: Update on Marriott Lifetime Status
    diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

This is very interesting, Kahuna, and news to me, although I'm a Platinum member.  I think you are correct: little is known, even among us Platinum members, of the Emeritus status and what it entails, to say nothing of these changes which certainly make it more accessable.  This has the same connotations as the Emeritus status which universities use to recognize excellent faculty after years of service...only with Emeritus Marriott status the perks are better!  Where did you learn about this?  Can we read this somehere?  Thanks for enlightening others like myself.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

take a look at insiders lobby, what's new tab.  There's been a lot of discussion about this on this message board.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear Kahuna Premier:

According to the folks at Marriott Rewards the new cards for those just making lifetime will indicate that status on them. In the past there was an annual renewal date on the cards and when a Platinum (or other Elite) member failed to make their nights for the year, they were issued a card with a future date (perhaps 20 years down the road) instead of the annual one.

So, according to the folks in Salt Lake we now get a Lifetime Card even though we're earning points and nights, once we qualify with the new more generous points requirements.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Whenever the denominator increases more rapidly than the numerator, you get, by mathematical definition, a watered-down chance of getting an upgrade as the ratio of rooms-to-status decreases (i.e., becomes more diluted)."

Kudos for expressing the point very clearly. However, the 'numerator' speaks to what Marriott and the hospitality industry refers to as, "Lodging Development".   With the ongoing addition of new brands such as the Autograph Collection, the expansion of existing brands in new and growing markets, the refurbishment and upgrading of 5 and 10 year old properties, Marriott's 'numerator' is hardly fixed, but constantly growing.

In an off year, Marriott's move forward with the Autograph Collection is very bold. It speaks very clearly to Marriott's continued dominance at the forefront of the hospitality marketplace.  Correspondingly, it is strategic that planned growth of the 'denominator' via all of the marketing programs mentioned is not only stimulated but actually realized.

Although our expected lifetime as human beings is becoming more elastic (I know of an MVC owner with a relative who just turned the corner on 106), replenishing the ranks of the elite, is more imperative to sustaining the 'elite' culture that drives Marriott Rewards into the future than the thinking suggested implies.

IMHO, implying that the numerator and the denominator remain fixed is by mathematical definition - and - any other definition - the death bell for Marriott Rewards.  

I don't agree with you.  I don't agree with that thinking.

OK Pingreeman I admit to being math challenged but not lacking in common sense (you can decide after reading this).

Marriott Rewards is a group of thirty million plus, an undetermined number of whom are scattered among four Elite levels and one general membership one.  I do not have either current or historical numbers on the allocation of Elites by percentage in the whole.

This group is not static--people leave the program--they quit, they violate the Ts and Cs and are terminated, they stop staying, they pass way. New members join.  Again I do not have those figures.  Suffice to say the total membership group is expanding but at what levels within the total I cannot say with certainty.

Thus the universe of members who would be effected by lifetime status is an unknown.  To know that I would need to know the percentage with twelve years in the program at any given point in time and who have met the other two criteria.  I cannot therefore assume anything without data to support my assumption.

Let's say for argument's sake that 10% of Platinum members are within a few hundred thousand points of the three million point level. How many have 12 years in and 1000 nights?  Let's say it's only 5%--same question.

With 3000 hotels to choose from what are the odds that a newly-minted Lifetime Platinum Elite member (with two million points) would be competing with another older (three million points one) for a room?  My guess it that it would be a remote possibility, but without data can't say, can I?

So, can we agree that we suppose that this lifetime change dilutes the lifetime elite pool, but admit that we have no data on which to base that supposition?

End of math averse discussion for now.

• Update on Marriott's Goodwill & Generosity
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"bags of popcorn"

Candidly, what's with the splitting of kernels?  What purpose is served and to what end?  What's the objective?

This Insider is in agreement with KahunaPremier's thinking:

"I think the changes are wonderful (in these current economic times) and glad to see Marriott reward time traveled business folks, who value the Marriott brand. In return, I continue to support Marriott."

The reduction in required points to reach Lifetime means that many Insiders will be standing shoulder-to-shoulder because Marriott corporate has elected to extend goodwill and generosity to long-time loyal guests.  This doesn't take away from anyone who achieved Lifetime, it elevates them - as far as I'm concerned.

Prior to the debacle in the banking industry, let's not forget how many companies routinely budgeted to send flocks of employees to hotels and resorts for Annual Sales Conferences, Corporate Events, Trade Shows and Symposia.

RevPAR climbed, occupancy soared and road warriors were on the fast-track with points.  Widespread criticism combined with known excess and abuse changed the landscape leaving empty hotel rooms.

For the Lifetimers who paid their dues, congratulations.  Achieving Lifetime in a different landscape is just as hard - if not harder.  

As Kahuna Premier's thinking clearly suggests, kudos to Marriott for recognizing the challenge and responding so generously.  Echoing Kahuna, "In return, I continue to support Marriott."

Dear Pingreeman, thanks.

I wonder still what the statistical probablity of being in a contest with another lifetime member might be at a given hotel at any given time, and what percent "dilution" would occur with the new lifetime levels?

You did not mention that in your post.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree with you Pingreeman. Thanks for sticking to your views.

tjcnewyork Platinum

All,

Communities of all kinds lend themselves to discussion and debate about topics they care about.  As a matter of course, discussion can get heated.  There is such a precedent in this forum. In fact, the debate became so vitriolic, that it required removal.

There were several Insiders who pointed out the clear connection between content and community.  Removing users' content takes away from the lifeblood of the community.  In response, Marriott restored the content.

There are ways to state a position, clarify, defend and/or disagree w/o resorting to accusation or insinuation that disparages or promotes an attack of another member of the Insiders community. 

Each user is responsible for the content he/she posts.  There is an Edit Reply button to facilitate correction of your post so that the tone and/or language can be modified to meet the Terms and Conditions of Marriott Rewards Insiders below.

Being Respectful

It is our goal to maintain a community that is respectful of various views and opinions and is appropriate for Marriott Rewards members. With this in mind, we cannot permit posts or links that in our reasonable judgment:

1. are obscene, promote racism, prejudice, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
    2. harass or advocate harassment of another person or organization;
    3. contain nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter;
    4. promote information that you know is false or misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
    5. exploit people in a sexual, violent or other manner not respectful of human rights;
    6. further or promote any criminal activity or enterprise, or provide instructional information about illegal activities, such as making or buying illegal products or violating someone's privacy;
    7. solicit passwords or personal information from others for commercial or unlawful purposes;
    8. knowingly introduce viruses, worms, harmful code, or Trojan horses on the Internet; or
    9. involve commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent, such as contests, sweepstakes, solicitation of donations, bartering, advertising or pyramid schemes.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Kahuna Premier

"I think the changes are wonderful (in these current economic times) and glad to see Marriott reward time traveled business folks, who value the Marriott brand. In return, I continue to support Marriott."

Thank you for posting this update on Marriott Lifetime Status. As NUHusker points out, the information was first shared with the Insiders community when 2009 turned the corner on 2010: What's New  

As a charter Marriott Marquis member, I've enjoyed Marriott Rewards for more than a quarter of a century.  Since I am also a Marriott Vacation Club owner, and my deeded nights did NOT start getting counted until MVCI made a policy change in the middle of 2008, there is a HUGE disparity between the millions of lifetime points versus the number of lifetime nights. 

Number of nights and quantity of points do not of themselves sum up a lifetime of unforgettable experiences and memories staying at Marriott.  When I was Silver Elite, Marriott treated me and my family like Platinum.  Whenever something wasn't right, Marriott made the effort to make things right.  So, for over a quarter century, Marriott retained my loyalty. 

From this perspective, the news that it is easier to attain lifetime status is as welcome to me as it is to you.  As I've heard from many owners, given the way Marriott treats their guests in general, I'm sure many feel that they are Lifetime Platinum.  One doesn't need a piece of plastic to feel that way.

arbplatinum Platinum

How does one find out if they have any level of Lifetime Status? Thanks.

Dear ARBPlatinum:

Tomorrow call the folks at Mariott Rewards and ask them for an accounting.  You can check your total qualifying nights online when you check your account. If you also have twelve yeard in the program, you're OK there.  If you have 2 million points and 1000 nights you're life Platinum.

seattlite Platinum

I'd agree with you.  As another platinum premier elite member, the points we've earned over the past years aren't worth what they used to be and a 5th free night won't fix that.  I've even had to fight for what I think are some basics of customer service over this past year (which I thought would only improve with premier status).  Ah well, all things come to bear when you test their mettle and do not simply glimpse their promise.

kahunapremier Platinum

SS,

Actually it is based on four corners

1. 12 years in the system

2. One year at Platinum

3. Points (Silver, Gold, Plat)

4. Nights (Silver, Gold or Plat levels)

It isn't any ONE of these, but all four. BTW, Have been a member for a long time and yes, already achieved the "hard" earned points. You can thank me for the 9 brands, one card, three level concept....you're welcome. :-)

dcweekly Platinum

How long does it take to be notified of Lifetime Platinum after meeting all the requirements? I passed the last hurdle (1000 nights) a few months ago but haven't heard anything from Marriott yet.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Now that I have been told verbally over the phone of my lifetime status AND said recognition will not arrive until I fail to  qualify for a yearly PE.

Well I have a daughter in college, as well as a business supporting about 15 families.  TRANSLATION:  I GET MY LIFETIME RECOGNITION POSTHUMOUSLY!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...