13 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2016 8:52 PM by metfan RSS

Applying for Marriott Rewards Premier Visa

dancer95 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Newbie needing advice regarding the MR premier visa credit card. Would love to be approved for this card especially with the current 80K bonus point promotion, 3K spend, $85 annual fee being offered but am hesitant to apply for it due to having a very short and thin credit history (one credit card for the past year). Just recently received an email from Marriott offering a promotion of 40K bonus points, 3K spend and $0 introductory annual fee. This was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. Also, Chase has another offer if applying by phone for 50K, 2K spend and $0 introductory annual fee. Obviously the 80K promotion and the 50K phone promotion are both better than the email offer that was received. So my question is this. Am I to assume that the email offer is already a pre-approval for the card and therefore there should also be approval for the card if applying online through the MR account for the 80K or by phone for the 50K? Have 23 Marriott nights planned starting in May so there is a timeframe that also needs to be factored in. Just would like to take advantage of the best promotion I can but would welcome any thoughts and advice to help sort this out and on how to proceed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Applying for Marriott Rewards Premier Visa
    vertol46 Platinum

Marriott awards you 5 points for every $1 spent at a Marriott property when you use their branded card from Chase, roughly the same as a 3-5% cash-back reward. The 80k sign-up bonus is valued at about $500-800. There are other benefits, too, that I'm sure you've read about. The offer to apply was made without conducting a check of your credit history. I wouldn't expect approval to be guaranteed. But if you apply online, you'll know immediately if you've been approved. Enjoy your travels, and let us know if you have any notable experiences.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Perhaps the biggest benefit for me is the 1 night elite credit for each $3,000 spent.  It has enabled me to reach platinum every year since it was added as a benefit.

In addition, remember that the $85 annual fee is offset by the free certificate for one night (cat 1-5) that you get each year.

It really won't hurt to apply.  You might get the card with a low credit limit, but that will increase as you establish a credit history.  You do have start somewhere.  As a young man 9more than 50 years ago, I was turned down by AMEX for a card.  I got a lest prestigious card, from another vendor, paid my bills in a timely fashion, and have never been turned down again.  I doubt, however, that the e-mail is any indication of a pre-approval.

seatexan Platinum

It helps to bank with Chase.  I am pretty sure that is the only reason I was approved.  That and I had JUST paid off my jeep (that my father had to co-sign for! hahaha).  The loan was thru Chase so that helped a good bit and I was approved right away.

I know that applying can put a small ding on ones credit report.  As long as you are not going to apply for a loan in the next 6-12 months, I don't think its enough of a ding to do any real damage. 

monisame Platinum

Great !! I would love to apply for this but as far as I know is only for US residents. Not my case.

metfan Gold

Love the card - GREAT way to accrue rewards points, elite night and an anniversary night - can't hurt to apply...minor hit to your credit report.

AZDesertRat Platinum

dancer95  I would strongly encourage you to apply for the card with the biggest bonus offer, as use of the card during your planned Marriott stays will greatly increase your points and stays totals.  The offers you see online are not "pre-approved" and they will do a credit review before a decision is made.  You may not get a decision immediately, as Chase typically says they will review and advise by mail of their decision. [It took me two tries to get the 80,000 bonus card, so I have some recent experience with this].  Yes, an inquiry or application for credit may reduce your credit score, but unless you have other credit applications in process, that shouldn't have more than a short-term impact, especially if the card is approved.  I agree with @metfan [except about baseball] - it can't hurt to apply.

metfan Gold

@AZDesertRat .....want to discuss how much fun October baseball is? haha - our diversity is what makes America beautiful - enjoy your team !!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Not a Mets fan, but we do love Bartolo.  Saw him pitch at Chase Field last year.

metfan Gold

you mean Bartolo Ruth? Haha - hit his first home run this past week. I have been to your ballpark for a D'Back game during my travels and it is a really great park !!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Ya, he did that last week at Petco Park.  We thought that was great! 

Chase Field isn't my home field, but we went last year, just cuz we wanted to visit Chase Field (I'm working through a list of ballparks).  It was in June, and there was a thunderstorm, which cooled the temps and so they opened the roof (the rain having stopped).  It was very cool.  That's actually the first time we ever saw Bartolo, and we became instant fans.

metfan Gold

I traveled extensively when I worked and it afforded me the opportunity to work through my list of ball parks - always tell my kids to visit ball parks during their travels to get a real sense of the city. Now, I travel for leisure and only have a few left on my list - live in Pittsburgh and PNC is one of the best in country (same architect as CitiField) so put it on you list !!!

AZDesertRat Platinum

Would love to get to PNC and see a game.  Our hero here in Phoenix is Randy Johnson.  Today they announced the naming of a street that runs by Chase Field after him. 

metfan Gold

5 Cy Youngs and HOF...should get a street named after him. haha. He was fun to watch. I only go to PNC Park when the Mets are in town.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...