20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2016 4:01 PM by hassmh RSS

Mileage Plus for Dummies

benbuck6 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

About a month ago I went through 2 weeks of Hades as I compiled and filed all of our 1095C information for our company and our employees. I have never had issues with any type of tax returns but this gave me fits. The only way I got through it was finally a google search entitled "1095c for Dummies". It wasn't perfect but it began to point in me in the right directions.

I have seen MileagePlus mentioned. I have read a few posts on it. As of today, I was clueless to what it was because we drive EVERYWHERE and I thought I wouldn't be able to get any reward miles bc I don't fly...(did I mention we don't fly), but eventually we want to fly to Maui. So, it didn't cost anything to join the program and now I have a United Mileage plus member Number and I have scanned the website. Now, I may be more lost than I was than when I started. So, I need a Mileage Plus for Dummies version and how that relates to Marriot Rewards and how to use the two together.

I don't even know how the miles translate....1000 air miles = what exactly? In Mileage Plus for Dummies terms.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mileage Plus for Dummies
    seatexan Platinum

I don't know a thing about taxes but the short of it for Marriott + United:

You must be a Marriott Platinum Elite to qualify for MileagePlus Premier Silver Status. The two programs won't talk to one another (can't transfer points) unless you are Marriott Plat OR MileagePlus Gold status and above.

If you don't fly, then you can't get points added to the MileagePlus account.

If you have the MileagePlus card, but don't fly, you can still get points by using it for every day purchases. Just like using the Marriott card for every day purchases gets you Marriott points.

Maybe this site will help:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/reg/rewards_plus/faqs.html?lang=en

I am a member of both, but I am only Gold for Marriott and only a Member for United (MileagePlus).  I can't sign up for "RewardsPlus" until I hit Marriott Platinum.  I do not fly much so hitting MileagePlus Gold won't happen.

Edit:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/earn/default.aspx

This site from United has ways listed to EARN MilagePlus points. You need to use that site to book things from.  As it is connected (once you sign in) to your United MileagePlus account.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Actually, you can transfer Marriott points to MileagePlus miles without status on MileagePlus, just not the reverse. I don't recall the details but I did look into it once and decided not to do it because I didn't have time to wait a few days for the transfer to go through to book the tickets; I just paid one way and used miles for the other way. I wouldn't recommend it as the transfer ratio isn't that great; I was just trying to be cheap and not pay anything for the vacation!

The MileagePlus site has many, many ways to earn miles. I've earned far more miles with MileagePlus through these means than I have by flying. The online shopping portal is far better than Marriott's, and they also introduced an app a year or so ago, MileagePlusX, which gives miles/$ to buy eGift cards for various stores, which can then be used online or in store. They even have Amazon on there at 2 miles/$, which gets used quite a bit. If you have a MileagePlus credit card you also receive a 25% bonus, even if not using the card for the transaction.

I just took a look at my account online, and from 01/01/2015 until now, I had 0 miles earned from airline activity (1 trip purchased got rebooked at the airport onto Delta due to mechanical issues, so no UA miles ), and 71,218 miles from other activity. So clearly it's possible to get a lot of miles without actually flying, and I don't try nearly as hard as many of the die-hard miles people.

I'm only active with MileagePlus because I'm about halfway between PHL and EWR, and the direct flights out of PHL with USAir, now AA, to anywhere were awful and expensive so EWR is worth the pain for us, especially with the plentiful miles available for everyday transactions making nearly free flight feasible. We already booked EWR-MCO for August on miles. If Marriott points were this easy, I'd be even happier, as we stay in hotels more than we fly.

seatexan Platinum

hassmh I can't find anything other than "RewardsPlus" to tranf. miles between the two.  If you find the link, can you send it to me? Thank you!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Benbuck,

As a Marriott Rewards member (any level), with the Marriott travel packages, you can transfer Marriott Rewards points to your Mileage Plus account at a 1:1 ratio.  You can also opt to earn United miles instead of Marriott Rewards points.  You would earn at 2 pts/$1 spend with Marriott (depending on the brand).  Airline Miles Program | Earn Miles with Marriott Rewards

Also right now, you can earn 50,000 bonus miles with the Mileage Plus business credit card with a $2,000 spend in the first three months, and annual fee waived for the first year.  I think they give more bonus miles if you add an authorized user.  You also get United Club passes to use each year.  Check out the 'More Like This' section in the upper right screen.

Message was edited by: pluto77 @benbuck6, really sorry, they must've just very recently dumped the 50k offer, as I now can't find it anywhere.  The best offer going right now is for 30K miles.  https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/products/chase/default.aspx

seatexan Platinum

What is this "Marriott travel package".... I need to look into that.

So... if I want to move my United miles to Marriott I can? 

hassmh Gold

Travel packages: Flight and Hotel Packages | Marriott Hotel Packages

You can't move United miles to Marriott points without status on United. You can move Marriott points to United miles without status (travel package being the most efficient exchange rate).

seatexan Platinum

LOL Thank you pluto77 and hassmh!

I have way more use for Marriott than United.  I only fly 2-3 times a year.  The free checked bag is awesome and the card pays for itself.  I haven't used the club passes either.  I have REALLY short layovers.

hassmh Gold

I usually try for no layover (nonstop)! That's one benefit of the hour-long drive to EWR, as a United hub we can get nonstop to far more places! Plus we usually use a car service so we're not driving to the airport, either!

hassmh Gold

Good point on the travel packages, that's a great way if you have a hoard of points to use, and will be staying somewhere for 7 days to use the certificate. I personally wouldn't use the miles earning with Marriott, as I think the value of the points is better than the miles earning, but it is an option.

I have yet to use the club passes from the MileagePlus card. They're nice to have, but I'm not about to head to the airport early to stop in the club, and I rarely have a long layover anywhere. The nicer perk with the card is the free checked bag, as I can't avoid checking when I have the family in tow, which is almost always when I'm paying for the tickets on the card.

I would never opt to earn miles on Marriott spends either.  I'm actually not a United flier, but did the credit card recently, because I wanted to fly a B747-8i and a B788 Dreamliner to/from Europe later this year, and United/Lufthansa are presently the only airlines I can do that with, so it made sense.

The travel package is especially good right now, because with rewards plus, you get 12K bonus United miles with the travel package over other airlines.  RewardsPlus │ Marriott Rewards │ United MileagePlus

Also, I think it is a little known fact that you can contact Marriott about 5 night travel packages too, which provide the same value, but only 5 nights (costing less points).

The club passes will come in handy for me with my flights later this year, as I'll have a 3-4 hour layover at LAX, and a layover at LHR.  The free bags don't matter, since I have United Silver (for just this year), because I was Marriott Plat last year, and signed up.  I wouldn't head to any airport early just to use a club, but if I arrived early just as a measure of prudence to avoid any unanticipated mishaps, the clubs can be nice (though we know that not all clubs are created equal.)

Message was edited by: pluto77

I haven't flown UA in about 10 years, since a couple of bad flights (relating to customer service and sourpuss F/A's), so I thought I would give them a try again.  They're not helping their own case however, as a month ago, I was pricing some open jaw segments relating to a Houston visit later this year, and the price came in at about $400.  Suddenly, the same open jaw segments are going to cost me over $700, due to a recent pricing policy change with regards to open jaw ticketing with United (okay, UA reportedly isn't the only one who pulled this naughty little number).

Additionally, on their newest crop of Dreamliners (the B789's), they are reducing legroom and seat width in economy, so they can jam in more seats.  Shame, shame, everyone knows your name, United Airlines.  I guess they don't really want me back. Congress recently tried to pass a bill that would standardize (regulate) seat space on airlines, but it failed (and surprise, straight across party lines.)

hassmh Gold

I am aware of the 5-night packages, but have heard they are hit-and-miss depending on the agent, and are intended for MVCI owners rather than being generally available. If one is to call and ask about them and be allowed to purchase them without being an MVCI owner, then that's an even better value than the 7 day, as it incorporates the 5th night free in the points value; the 7 day packages tack on the additional 2 nights of points which diminishes the value slightly in my view, but the airline transfer more than makes up for it.

The 7 night packages do in fact take into account the 5th night free.

I would like to clarify that transferring Marriott points to airline miles at a 1:1 ratio is only for certain Marriott Rewards travel packages, namely the Rewards Plus travel package (greater than 1:1 ratio), and Hotel + Air Packages 1 and 3.

Hotel + Air Packages 2 and 4 don't provide as good of a ratio.  The package differences are based on the airline that you choose.

hassmh Gold

Without a set time when you'll be flying, it's impossible to set the flight to Maui = x miles, as the program can change from year to year. At this time, domestic saver economy one-way award tickets go for 12,500 miles. That's for 49 states, excluding HI (of course!). That's 25,000 miles for round-trip. For any of the other 49 states to HI, its currently 22,500 one-way, 45,000 round trip. And that's assuming you can arrange for a saver award in each direction, which requires significant advance planning and may not even be possible depending on your starting airport. A standard award is double the saver award, so 45,000 for one-way to/from HI. So HI is a lot of miles, but if you have a couple years to save up, it should be possible to do at least one or two tickets on award miles, depending how much of the program you can use to your benefit.

seatexan Platinum

benbuck6 Did we help or confuse you?

benbuck6 Silver

kind of like the 1095c Google search. I've been pointed in some directions that I think can be benefit me. I'm looking at anyway I can to reduce the cost while still having the quality of vacation I want. I need to look more into this. I could shop with MileagePlus and begin to get some miles that way. If I could reduce the cost of the vacation by 25%+ I would consider that worth the trouble for sure.

seatexan Platinum

It might help to start checking prices for certain times of the year.  I have saved A TON of money by checking out when low seasons are for flights and hotel stays.

hassmh Gold

If you are going this route I would highly recommend getting the MileagePlus credit card. It's not really that great for everyday use, but you get many additional bonuses just for having the card, not necessarily using it. It is mainly useful when used to buy tickets on United, with free checked bags and other perks, and 2 miles/$ on that spend, 1 mile/$ on other spend which isn't very good.

As I mentioned previously, the MileagePlusX app gives a 25% bonus just for having the card. You can also get other bonuses when using their partners when you have their credit card. Some of these bonuses are one-time for signing up for things (e.g. VIP status, 5 miles/$, and extra bonus introductory miles for using the Dining program when a cardholder, vs flat 1500 miles and 1 mile/$ when not a cardholder), so would be wasting potential miles not to have.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...