10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 3:21 PM by yyc RSS

Dalmahoy Marriott Hotel & Country Club

yyc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are celebrating a Golden Milestone year in 2016. We will be married for 30 years, her 50th birthday and she is retiring from homeschooling our 4 children through to post secondary.

For this special time, I am taking her to Scotland, (in September 2016) which is the land of both our ancestors. I have a 'Dream Destination' of staying at the Dalmahoy Marriott Hotel & Country Club in Edinburgh and I currently have points for a 4 night stay. The pictures of the location look spectacular and we are looking forward to visiting it.

Does anyone have any information on this hotel? Things to do, things to see. That kind of thing.

I am looking forward to hearing about this hotel and I look forward to sharing our experiences of our stay with the community.

Thanking you in advance.

David

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Dalmahoy Marriott Hotel & Country Club
  • Re: Dalmahoy Marriott Hotel & Country Club
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Congrats on your anniversary, yyc! Scotland sounds like a fabulous place to celebrate such an amazing occasion. I personally have not been to Scotland and therefore can't give you any ideas or insight into things to do, but I bet there are some other Insiders on here who have some to share! Looking forward to hearing them too!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

yyc Platinum

Thanks Lindsey. We are looking forward to it. I hope there are some Insiders here who have stayed there and can share their adventures.

David

aqua Platinum

Went a few years ago and had a grand time - please set aside 1 day to visit Edinburgh castle and see the Crown Jewels (replicas I'm sure ) and enjoy the views from this rockside fortress. Food was not outstanding but very good - at least try the national dish "haggis " ( I won't tell you what it is - better to keep an open mind ) . Perhaps you might enjoy a day trip out to the Kelso or Coldstream area for a day of "pony trekking ". There are many nearby castles and manor houses for touring. People are extremely friendly and we felt very safe and welcome at all times. Ladies tend to dress a bit more formal there than in US - didn't see many jeans or shorts, mostly dresses and skirts and slacks. Enjoy !

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I do very much like the Dalmahoy, though it's a little too far out of Edinburgh for a once-in-a-lifetime visit.

Like many European cities, Edinburgh is a nightmare to find parking places, and when you do you'll find them expensive. Taxis are a possibility but with the hotel 10 miles outside the city centre it's a half hour ride even in easy conditions, and Edinburghs roads are famously uneasy.

But if you want to stay in one of Marriotts best country clubs and experience some fabulous golf, then this is a great choice with good restaurants and bars and plenty of scenic views. Jeans and T shirts are welcome, the place isn't stuck up, everyone is very welcoming and I should know as I had the remarkable good fortune to be "snowed in" there a few years ago!

There's much to see and do in Edinburgh, it's famous national gallery is an easy walk from the central Waverley train station. Likewise, as long as you enjoy a steady climb the fabulous Edinburgh Castle, home to Scotland's Crown jewels (not to be confused with the English ones in the Tower of London) also known as Scotland's Honours. And yes, the jewels youl see there are the real thing as handled by Mary Queen of Scots and many other illustrious monarchs. A fabulous sight. Walk your way back from the castle down the hill all the way to the end (the Royal Mile) and you'll find yourself walking from Scotlands ancient seat of Government to its new Parliament. Then there's Georgian Edinburgh, believe me there's more to do in Edinburgh than you can fit in 4 nights. Of course as you've the points for 4 nights, why not stay 5? Remember your 5th redemption night is free!

Finally, as already remarked you'll have the opportunity of experiencing Dalmahoys unique free-range haggis, provided each day by the hotels famously accurate gamekeeper, known for always getting his haggis with the first shot!

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

My wife and I stayed at the Dahlmahoy for our first trip to Scotland and would highly recommend it.  The staff was excellent and the facility top notch.  I am not a golfer but if I were, I would have followed the recommendation of one day for the course.  The bus to Edinburgh can be picked up at teh entrance to the hotel grounds.  We took it to Prince Street and a short and pleasant walk to all of the sites.  As I was driving and new to the experience of the left side I did not want to drive into town.  The location made for a great base to explore the rest of Scotland as we had some days of as much of 10 hours of round trip drives.  We have been back to Scotland twice more in the 5 years since our original visit and plan on many more.  A beautiful country with wonderful people.  Enjoy!

yyc Platinum

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We are getting excited about the trip already.

And shashack, because I am NOT a golfer is why I think I want to try the links. There may be more water hazards behind me as I divot (sp) the fairways???

I will try to post some pictures after the trip and try to update on this site as well.

David

yyc Platinum

Well the flights are booked, car is rented, arranging the hotel stay at the Dalmahoy. Big banner across the top of the page, The Dalmahoy is leaving the Marriott fold effective August 01, 2016. Our stay was to be in September. Long story short we were able to use our points on our requested days, and I just wanted to shout out to the Dalmahoy publicly THANK YOU. My wife was so excited when I told her that we would be staying in a castle that, that almost became her highlight of the trip. So when we found out that we may not be able to, she was pretty crushed. However that disappointment turned to happiness when I told that we could still stay on our requested dates.

We are flying into London Gatwick (non-stop on WJ from YYC on our anniversary day), spend a couple of days in London then training up to Edinburgh where we will stay in a castle . Rent a car ahead out to the highlands visiting with family and enjoying the sights and sounds, and absolutely some haggis.

We will then head south and drop off the car in Edinburgh, and take the train to London where we will spend another couple of nights with family before boarding our non-stop flight home. This will certainly be stretching financially but hey, as the old saying goes, "You can't take it with you'. I will fill you all in as things progress and if I can figure out how to attach pictures I will certainly try to do so.

Safe travels everyone.

mav Platinum

Sounds like it will be a wonderful celebration trip!  If u have enough points to book 4 nights, remember the 5th night is FREE so book that 5th night!

Enjoy and congrats on the wonderful milestones!

yyc Platinum

Thanks mav. I actually do have the points for the free 5th night but because os scheduling and our only being 'in-country' for a short period of time we can 'only' do the 2 nights. But hey, 2 free nights is OK by me!!!

yyc Platinum

Well, we are back. All I can say is wow!! My wife and I had a great time exploring through England and Scotland. The Dalmahoy was a great stay and it is too bad that they have decided to become an independent hotel. The food was great, the rooms were old but classy, and the views of the golf course are astounding.

I tried the haggis and black pudding and determined that I am not a real fan of the foods, but hey, a guy has to try. Didn't play any golf as my wife and I spent so much time touring through Edinburgh.

We are talking about a return visit in 2 years and really hope that the Dalmahoy is once again in the 'family' of Marriott. A real big shout out to the staff and management of the Dalmahoy. We stayed after they left the chain but still accepted my certificate to stay there using my points. Thank you very much for helping my wife and I celebrate such an important time in our lives.

The flight over on Westjet was uneventful and on time in both directions, the weather cooperated in that we had very little rain, went Nessie spotting and out to the west coast village of Mallaig. Almost a month after the whole trip we are still looking at pictures and saying "remember"?

Thanks for reading.

David

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...