11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2016 10:00 PM by ramoneur RSS

What do hotels get out of points?

pilam76 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

When you use points for free nights at hotels, what does the hotel get out of of it besides the body for their occupancy rate? Do they get reimbursed money from HQ? How does the hotel view a customer using points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do hotels get out of points?
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I believe the hotel gets a payment from Marriott Rewards.  Personally, I have always been treated very well when paying with points.  After all, if the guest has enough points to pay for their stay, they must have been a past Marriott customer, who has bothered to sign up for the Rewards programme.  Therefore, they should be looked after as well as, or even better than the casual customer just there for a night.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

I have always wondered the same question on reimbursement. However, I would say that like Tommo, I have always been treated very well on points trips. I do no however remember being given any noticeable upgrade while on points, but everything else is the same.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Glad you agree peymanagement.  However, I have actually been upgraded as well when paying with points.  Maybe I am just lucky.

peymanagement Platinum

Yes, I thought back and I did get at least two nice upgrades on points. Not to suites but to nicer rooms.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

They get reimbursed by the company at some predetermined rate that is not public information.  It would be absurd for a hotel to give me a free room because I had previously stayed other hotels.

I have neverbeen treated any different by any Marriott property when staying on points.  In fact, the best I was ever treated was at a hotel in Paris when I was making two stays totaling 9 nights.  Five were on points and four for a very inexpensive rate.  I was upgraded, both times to suites and greeted upon my return wit a wine and cheese platter in our room.

seatexan Platinum

I found this site:

Marriott's Award Night Reimbursements To Hotels | LoyaltyLobby

Now I am not sure where the author got the info from. Heh and someone down at the bottom left a comment and wanted to know where these were taken from.

Here is another good one:

DansDeals.com » Blog Archive » The Dollars And Cents Behind A Hotel Award Stay

This guy said sometimes the hotel will goof and the reimbursement showed up on his statement. 

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Having worked at another hotel chain that was the same case. We would only get reimbursed just enough to cover the cost of cleaning the room and the predetermined possible cost of utilities which was about $35 I believe. Also we would get the ADR if the hotel was more than 90 or 95% full. The manager hated when there were many points reservations and the hotel was not going to fill up because we would lose potential revenue. There were cases where they would increased or decreased the number of rooms allocation for points for whatever reason, the gm and rev manager sort of tried to explain but I really didn't care back then. Same with closing and opening different levels of discounts.

fistuk Platinum

The hotels get a full payment from Marriott Rewards for any points redemption.

I can also elaborate and tell you that even when you use the 'Look No Further' rate Marriott Rewards pay the hotel the reduced rate difference (I was told that by a front desk manager).

So practically the hotels always get their full payment.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I've always found that I get treated as well or better whenever I stayed using points.  Keep in mind that the whole purpose of any hotel or airline rewards program is to keep the members with "STATUS" happy and to assure that they continue to spend their money at the Marriott chain.

bctg77 Platinum 6 Reviews

I find the same thing to be true. Usually they acknowledge me that they appreciate my Plat. status and are pleased that I am using the certificate and congratulate me!  The last one I used I was surprised to get an upgrade as well and gladly accepted.

ramoneur Platinum

this is actually a question I have had for a long time myself!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...