7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2010 11:21 AM by anadyr RSS

So long and thanks for all the fish...

carolynp Gold
Currently Being Moderated

In the words of a late, great author who had an accent just like mine, 'So Long and Thanks for all the Fish' - Google it - I bid you farewell.  Having discussed my recent experience here with a lady from Marriott today and then with my spouse I will be bowing out of these forums. Do I think the entire episode was handled badly by the moderator? Yes I do.  

Will this discussion be pulled in a heartbeat - I reckon yes it will. But will my comments be noticed by some members and/or the powers that be? Definitely.

Will I stay the course as a Marriott customer? Probably, possibly, well maybe.  Unlike some of you we pay our own way so our level of Rewards importance is down entirely to us and I get it that I am way down the pile. My husband travels for work and his employer tends to favour another company but for personal travel I usually manage to hold sway.

I would like to think that  this post will remain long enough to thank the few regular posters here who have answered my questions etc.  I will definitely be discussing this with friends and family members, some of whom are waaayyy up there when it comes to international travel and business.  Will it influence them? Maybe, maybe not.  I can tell you this, as someone who has very long experience of forums culture and how word of mouth recommendations go - remember the 1/20 rule.  Look that one up too.

Watch for me on TripAdvisor.

• Re: So long and thanks for all the fish...
    carolynp Gold

Just kicking it back in long enough for some of the regulars to see it. But while I have your attention BETA refers to software.  Not to policy or management.  For those of us who have been programmers since the 60's, we know what Beta means.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carolynp Gold

Don't know who you are but thank you for the vote.  Much appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience, truely I am.  I wish there was a way to make things right for you.  You are not the only person here with other community forum experience.  I lead/moderate a forum with over 50k daily, active members.  I am not aware of the various things you have delt with here but bumping your own good bye thread seems to beg for attention. Just my opinion.  I will say dealing with soo many different users, opinions, online personas takes a toll, perhaps you can try a call to the customer service center, or post over on Bill Marriott's blog (I know he reads those).

I wish you the best of luck, I hope you can find a way to stay and contribute as you have in the past.  If not, hopefully you find greener pastures on the other side of the fence.

And the book was great, the movie was hillarious :)

carolynp Gold

Zukracer I didn't bump it.  Someone else did. Though I do know how of course. Maybe Marriott needs to employ real moderators. No not me, couldn't pay me enough to even consider it, but with your experience, maybe you? 

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Tell me you didn't go back and remove all of your contributions to the site?  Help the active membership to understand that it was some action taken by the staff.....

If the staff here did it, I suspect there should be some explanation left in the posts, if nothing else removed by moderator blah blah.  If not, that should be the action taken moving forward and Carolynp's posts should be updated properly.

If you went back CarolynP and deleted your contributions, you should remove this thread as well.  You had previously contributed some valuable content and helped the members in their quest for information/knowledge.  This type of thing would significantly reduce/remove your credibility, making this thread fairly worthless.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"You had previously contributed some valuable content and helped the members in their quest for information/knowledge.  This type of thing would significantly reduce/remove your credibility, making this thread fairly worthless."

Zukracer - Very well stated.  One of her posts, Heading back to Tarranna bear no replies but enjoys 1,277 views.  Unfortunately, CarolynP edited all prior posts leaving an empty shell behind.  Clearly disruptive, it's quite the dissonant swansong.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I will watch for your posts at Trip Advisor. Might I suggest that you also offer your hotel and other comments to Zagat, since their guides tend to be filled with small snippets of great import.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...