17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2016 9:23 AM by 702rugbyref RSS

Arrive late at Gatwick - best Marriott in London?

lmnop Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We arrive about 11:30 pm to Gatwick on Friday - and I'm wondering what's the best Marriott to stay - as far as (most easily) getting to from Gatwick to the city at what will likely be after midnight by the time we exit customs etc. This is a quick stop through - since we leave on Sunday afternoon. I lived in London for a quick minute several years ago (& loved it), but my husband has never been - so I'd like to wake up in the city and spend the day showing him a few of my favorite spots. 

Also, I'd love suggestions for the best transport (train?) options from Gatwick late night.

Thanks.

Laura

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Re: Arrive late at Gatwick - best Marriott in London?
    peymanagement Platinum

if you are coming from north America that late, why not stay right there at the Courtyard Gatwick, crash and get your legs under your feet and then venture into London in the am on train to waterloo, spend the day in London and go back to the courtyard and catch your flight noon next day. That is what I did and it worked out fine. your body clock is behind so you can even go to a show. The hotel has a shuttle, it is a two or three  pounds, but we took a cab.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

peymanagement,

What a wonderful suggestion!  Yes, check-in at The CY, keep the luggage there, get a good night sleep, and then go to London Town the next day!

Waterloo would be great but I would also consider going to Victoria Station, via the train, and then relaxing on the "Big Red Bus" around London.  An inexpensive way to do it and I just hope the weather is great for all!

This sounds like a fun trip!

IMG_1726.JPG

Make sure you stop at County Hall, take a break, and introduce yourself.  You will be welcomed at this "Oasis"!

IMG_2171.jpg

"Big Red Bus" in front of County Hall Marriott, just a short walk from Waterloo Station!

Have a great trip!

peymanagement Platinum

Ah you are right jerry, I got mixed up, it was Victoria. Thanks for picking that up. We did the hop on hop off one time too, or if she knows the layout a day pas on the tube, which includes the buses.

lmnop Gold

We'll actually be coming from Munich after 3 weeks in Europe - so we'll be on local time.  And personality wise, my husband isn't a morning person - so it's usually better for us to use the later hours to get us where we need to be so we can wake up where we want to start the day - if that makes sense. Plus the Marriotts in the city are cooler and have more personality vs the generic airport hotel that could be in any city.

We are happy to use the tube and the bus (*a big red one or otherwise!) - and walking. I walked all over that city when I lived there. It's so flat and there's always something to see or explore.

With this additional info - is there a specific Marriott you'd suggest in the city and the best way to get there late night?

Location Brand Hotel
      London, England
      rewired&happy Platinum

I totally agree!.  Don't forget to ask for the room upgrade if you are platinum

peymanagement Platinum

Sorry with my advice yesterday but I assumed you were going the other way. I would go with jerrycoin advice and stay at the country hall. It isup to you, but navigating the trains at that time of the morning is touch and go. I would call the hotel and have them arrange transport, The big bus idea is a good idea because a lot was included, we did about a five mile walk from the hotel and covered a lot.

peymanagement,

In Munich, try to spend some time at Marienplatz!  Wonderfull shopping, dining and walking.  It's an easy walk from the CY or an easy ride on the subway.

This is one place that has the best "Hot-Dogs" in the World!  There are many wonderful places to dine on a budget on The East Side of Marienplatz.  Don't forget to go by The Hof Brau House, you will never forget it!

DSCN0148_0117.jpg

DSCN0152_0120.jpg

These are wonderful places to visit!

Location Brand Hotel
      Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel
      lmnop Gold

Please - No apologies - it's totally logical to think we were coming to London from the states and I wasn't clear in my original post.

We've booked County Hall (we were originally thinking Park Lane - just because it was the most expensive but the same number of points, but I think County Hall looks more perfect!) - it is just soooo close to everything and walkable to Borough Market and those cheese sandwiches that I still dream about often ;-D.

I figure we'll take the Gatwick Express or *maybe* the night tube will be up and running (our trip isn't until September 30th!) and either uber or taxi over from Victoria Station.

Oh and I haven't been to Munich in years, but we rented bicycles at the main train terminal and explored the English Gardens and the Olympic Park - got lost, but had a blast.

Also - does anyone know how to email the hotel? I'd like to let them know we will not arrive until after midnight - so they don't cxl us as a no-show.  *I should probably just contact the general toll-free number, but just thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks for all the help guys (& ladies!)

peymanagement Platinum

Thanks for the info on Munich, we were planning on renting bikes as well, I don't care about getting lost.

You will have a great time at country hall, we only stayed one night, but we walked over the bridge to the house of commons, went to churchill's bunker, walked to Buckingham palace and did a little half pint pub crawl through the city and then took the tube to the tower and then walked back, went on the HMS, which was fun, then walked back did the tower experience and walked to the hotel. Great exercise.

Check with jerrycoin, re e mail at hotel.he sometimes has a contact with the concierge and he may give you a bit of other advice. .

peymanagement,

Please get in touch with Nic at :

mrhs.lonch.guestrelations@marriotthotels.com

Ask for Nic, or Teddi and explain your travel plans and needs.  These people are very helpful and feel free to use my name/  Here's a photo of Nic, he is a "Gold Key" member and that's the highest award for a Concierge in The World.

IMG_1418.JPG

Good luck!

Location Brand Hotel
          London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

As you want to be centrally located in London lmnop, I would suggest either County Hall or St Ermins.  They are both in excellent locations to see the sights, County Hall being just over the bridge from Westminster Abbey, and St Ermins being about the same distance the other way. St Ermins is closer to Victoria, only round the corner from St James underground station, and is also close to Buckingham Palace, Green Park & Hyde Park.  The tour buses stop just round the corner in Tothill Street.  I believe the Taxi rank at Victoria is 24 hour.

702rugbyref Platinum

Glad to read this question as I am going in August

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...