12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2016 10:01 PM by hassmh RSS

No fitted sheets at new Springhill Suites San Diego

dpatellos Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We just stayed 2 nights April 2016 at the brand new Springhill Suites bayside.  The king bed had a too small flat bottom sheet that definitely did not stay in place making for an uncomfortable nights sleep.    I spoke with housekeeping who made the bed for night two with a second flat sheet which was an improvement but not great. I commented on this at checkout.  I was told they had received this comment from another guest and offered to add some points to my account.  The hotel was $199 a night, brand new and I would say I would not recommend unless they correct the bedding issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No fitted sheets at new Springhill Suites San Diego
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I don't want to appear contentious, but does a bottom sheet fitting properly really make the difference as to whether you would stay somewhere or not?  I find that quite extraordinary and not something that would be such a deal breaker to most people, and certainly not a valid reason not to recommend a hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Actually quite useful information, in my opinion. Anyone who is an "active" sleeper, or sharing a bed with one, would greatly appreciate and value a properly fitted bottom sheet that does not come loose and bunch up during the night, making an otherwise comfortable bed very uncomfortable.

Perhaps it's not a concern for everyone, but this type of insight makes it easy for me to red-flag the property as well. I hope this is not a trend that will spread to other hotels, as it would make travel decidedly less comfortable for us.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Actually, let me put a bit of perspective on this.

So let's say I stay at a Marriott that is wonderful except for the sheet.  I would mention it to the hotel at the time and try to get it corrected.  Would I make a huge point about such an issue, and post on this site on just that one issue?  No.

So let's say I stay at a Marriott that has a number of issues, including the sheet.  Would I post on this site about it.  Yes, but the sheet would be just one of the points mentioned.

Red flagging a hotel because of a sheet?  My oh my.  If everyone was so fussy, how many hotels would be able to stay open?

hassmh Gold

Perhaps we didn't read the initial post the same way. If multiple guests at a new hotel complain about the sheets not fitting correctly, such that at checkout an additional complaint would cause comment from behind the desk that it's been an issue for others, to me is indicative of a problem at that hotel. A "fitted" sheet is not necessary if the bed is properly made, but a sheet matched to the mattress size and properly tucked is important to a good night's sleep. Even a fitted sheet of improper depth can be problematic.

It should be a relatively simple task to have the right sized sheets properly applied to the mattress. If a hotel cannot accomplish that simple task, what else will they be failing at, and why would I want to stay there?

drlandrum Silver

Agree, without fitted sheets you end up wrapped up in a pile of linen...   I, for one, am not a very still sleeper.   I toss and turn a lot before falling asleep.   I have been in beds without fitted sheets and they end up totally off the mattress.   JMHO

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

But would you red flag a hotel just on that issue?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree with you Doc and another reason is the sheets you know have been cleaned but who's knows about the mattress

drlandrum Silver

Ugh, don't remind me of the mattresses...   I have a horror story about one hotel mattress....   No it was not a Marriott.   

drlandrum Silver

No I don't think I would go so far as to red flag them.   Plenty of hotel use them, but I for one do not prefer them.  

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Hmmm....I friend of mine did housekeeping and laundry work at various IHG properties for years, and I recall her telling me they didn't ever use fitted sheets at all on anything at any of the properties.  Rationale was that it was cheaper and easier to inventory only flat sheets, and fitted sheets weren't typically used in Europe where IHG is based.  I only know this because I went to work with her one day and got a tour of a huge FS Holiday Inn where she worked, including the laundry facilities which were quite fascinating.  Yes, I am a complete hospitality industry nerd.  Curious what our European insiders think about this and whether there is any truth to it.  And no, I'm not suggesting that San Diego is in Europe

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well clebert, at home I have fitted bottom sheets.  But when I am in a UK hotel, sometimes there are fitted, sometimes flat sheets.  I too am a restless sleeper, and the flat sheets sometimes get tangled up a bit.  But is it a deal breaker to me, or Mrs Tommo, or any of our friends?  No.  I will readily complain about issues in hotels, but this one is far down my list of priorities, and would not by itself put me off a hotel.

peymanagement Platinum

dpatellos, Thank you for taking the time to enter the comment. I havn't stayed there yet, but was looking at it and probably will next time in SD in fall. It is a brand new hotel that is really well located. Maybe it is having some growing pains. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...