12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2016 3:58 PM by zukracer RSS

Ever had something go missing from your room?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I accidentally left a memory card on the night stand this morning and came back this evening and it's now missing.  I called the desk and they are saying its not been turned in, etc.  Standard "we no nothing" answer, I felt like I had Sgt Schultz on the phone.

Feeling like I really have to reconsider this property is no longer viable as my ability to leave an item in my room is now gone.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so how did you resolve it?  Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ever had something go missing from your room?
    seatexan Platinum

First I would be sure to check around the night stand to make sure it didn't fall off.  If you know it has 100% gone missing (you didn't misplace it) and you have already contacted the manager about it (with no resolution), the only thing left might be to file a police report. 

Be sure to talk to a manager, not just someone down at the front.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I don't want to doubt you at all zukracer, but are you perhaps jumping to conclusions too quickly?  I would probably feel as angry as you initially, but think about it a little first.  SeaTexan is right to say to check it hasn't fallen from where it was.  Are you talking about a camera memory card?  If so they are small, and housekeeping may even have accidentally wiped it up when cleaning the room.  It could be in the trash.  I don't know how police reports work in the US, but I doubt the police in the UK would be interested in such an occurrence.  But do discuss it with the Hotel Manager, just in case it has been put somewhere safe, and the person you first spoke to didn't realise.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Agreed. It could easily have been accidentally thrown away. Or you could have a memory slip and forgot that you put it in your bag (I've done that more than once). Even if one of the cleaning staff stole it, you can't expect that the guy at the desk will know that ahead of time so when you call him he'll tell you "Sarah the maid stole it".

Search all your own pockets and bags again (don't forget to look in your camera   ) and if you still can't find it discuss it with the hotel manager but don't make accusations.

Let's face it. There's not a huge black market for used memory cards so I wouldn't think "theft" first.

seatexan Platinum

Chances are the police here cannot do much in the way of getting it back, however if something goes missing/stolen, there is an official record of it.  Reports add up.  They are important. If someone steals enough, it can add up to a felony.

I hope it just fell off the table. 

Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had stuff stolen more times then I can count, but only on long-term stays. Nothing big, mostly games (missing from inside the jacket), change, Redskin Jersey (stolen out of laundry), even food.

Funny but true story: I was in Birmingham AL and the maintenance guy who coincidentally went to the same church created by the guy the gov't was after for fraud of his company (not church related) would come to my room and make up reasons to attempt to come inside when I was working in my room. He would swear the light in the bathroom needed changed when it was perfectly fine. One day he even came by for peep hole maintenance. Haha  I would put a piece of scotch tape on the front of the door at the bottom to see if someone had been in the room despite the do not disturb sign. If the tape was broken when I came home I'd call the front desk and ask why. The hotel staff was honest....just not this guy, although he probably wasn't looking to steal anything. He just had alternative motives.

I now have a camera inside the room to track what goes on and to see what the dog is doing when I'm at work. My take of hotels is trust....but verify. Most hotel employees are honest...some not so much.

grimlock Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, a maid stole a camera bag from our room.  It had a (at the time) high end digital camcorder and a digital camera in it.  I realized it was missing after we checked out and when I went to the desk they said they would ask around but no one seemed to know anything.  I filed a police report and left.

About a week later I got a call from a police officer.  Both items had been sold at a pawn shop by one of the maids.  They recovered the camera but the pawn shop had already sold the camcorder so we lost it.  We also lost the memory card that was in the camera.  It had pictures of our son with his grandmother that were taken between his birth and her death about six months later.  I had asked the hotel to post a sign saying I would pay a cash reward for the return of the memory card and no questions asked before the items turned up in the pawn shop but apparently the maid had already thrown out the memory card.

The property asked me for copies of the receipts from when I bought the items which I luckily still had and they issued me a check for the amount we paid but we never did recover the card or the pictures on it.

I checked everywhere before calling down to the front desk.  I literally moved every piece of furniture, ripped the bed apart, shook out the pillows, the sheet, took the comforter out of the cover, went through my backpack, went through my suitcase and every piece of clothing in it.  I looked on top of the tv stand, behind the tv, heck I looked in the bathroom just in case it fell out of the bedding on the way out the door.  For sanity I even checked at the office I'm working at, nada.  The thing was on the night stand and wasnt there when I returned. 

Now the problem I have is lack of communication or ownership of the issue from the hotel.  I was asked to fill out an incident report at midnight last night.  I was told there would be a call from the loss prevention person at 9am today.  I not only didn't get that call I didnt get anything, not even a note or vmail in the room.  I called down and asked to speak to a manager as to why I've not heard anything back.  I was told I'd get a call back in a few minutes.  That was 2hrs ago and nothing.

I've decided that I'm going to stay at a different property from now on here in San Antonio, which really sucks because the staff has to this point been nice and the location is perfect.  I just can't reward them with business when they can't even handle the situation adequately and communicate with me.

At this point I just don't know what I should expect from the hotel.  Money wise it wasn't a very expensive item, it could have been a lincoln log or lego piece for all that matters.  The principle of it all for me is the core and the data on it I'll never get back.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Your frustration is understandable zukracer.  But may I make a suggestion for the future, both for yourself and other Insiders.

The loss of data/photos is always the issue, not the monetary value of the card.  I am assuming you also have a laptop/tablet with you, as most people do nowadays.  Whenever I take a camera away with me, the same night I load the photos from the memory card to my laptop.  If your laptop/tablet doesn't have a card slot, you can buy a gizmo with a card slot which fits into a USB port for very little money.  That's what I have, and it is very useful.

If you do this, you can only ever lose what is on the card since the last transfer to your device.  I look on it as a back up, as the photos are then in more than one place.

The reason I do this is not because of potential theft, but a friend managed to drop a photo card overboard on a ship when they were changing cards in their camera.  That was a warning to me.

seatexan Platinum

File a police report.  I know that sounds silly but its REALLY official... more so than a hotel incident report.

I completely agree on the principle of the matter.

Is this a Marriott property you are staying at?

Yes it's a full service Marriott here in San Antonio.  Still 3pm local time now and not a peep from the hotel management.  Sad.

The really sad part was this was my backup drive.  I back it up to the cloud when home but the wifi at the hotel just doesnt cut it for backups.  I just havent been home in weeks.

Platinum

I did have an experience a year ago or so at an RI. They were having mattresses replaced, and when I returned to my room, my phone charger (which was plugged into the outlet next the bed) was missing. The manager apologized and purchased a new one within the next few days - loaning me one until the new one arrived

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...