47 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2016 3:15 PM by clebert RSS

AAAAARGH!  Adults who go to the breakfast area in their pjs.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

One of my biggest pet peeves is when adults go to breakfast in their pjs.  I find it so !!!  Unless you're a baby, get dressed before you go to eat in public!  Okay, rant over.   It just really irks me...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: AAAAARGH!  Adults who go to the breakfast area in their pjs.
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

you get my vote to but to me those that go run a few miles and come up still sweating rather than go to their room first are worse

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

I agree with both of you. My pet peeve is never a crowded CL or breakfast area it is exactly what you say. Adults in pj's, sweating adults and people in bare feet.

We just returned home from a VA trip, and one of the hotels we stayed at had a sign that "shirt and shoes are required in the breakfast area."  Makes you wonder how people were attired for them to put up a sign like that!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Total lack of any class.  No doubt learned it from some reality show.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

muppetwrangler, I concur.  And I also agree 100% with jerryl.  A third but related category is people on their way to or from the hotel spa, and those folks can often be found wearing hotel robes.  Lord only knows what they are wearing or not wearing underneath. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well that I have been lucky enough not to observe

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jusr curious, how do you envision people going about traveling to/from their room to the exercise pool and back?

peymanagement Platinum

Actually that does not bother me, going to the pool and exercise rooms is probably why they provide the robes.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Haha!  I meant those people who wear the robes into the CL or breakfast buffet before or after their spa visits.  Personally, I would wear the hotel robe around my hotel room and wear street clothes to the spa where they generally provide locker/changing rooms and give you robes to wear once you're in the spa.  Granted, I have actually only been to one hotel spa in my lifetime, so I don't claim to be the world's spa expert  

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Ha ha, thanks for clarifying.  But I'm glad we're having the discussion.  I have never visited a hotel spa and have no idea what amenities are offered.  I've always presumed that spa amenities are off limits to non-paying customers.  I do know that spas have pools that are separate from the general guest pool.  I only started keeping swimwear in my luggage about two years ago, for occasions when I might find myself at an urban full service property with a pool.  I am not experienced with urban properties with pools or what amenities they may offer (like non-spa showers and/or changing rooms).  I'm guessing that it varies from property to property and country to country. 

So last summer, when I stayed at yours and my favorite Chicago property, the JW Marriott, I was delighted to learn that there was an indoor pool along side the gym (and had no knowledge of the spa at the time).  I threw on my swimwear at 6am one morning, and only then thought, "Okay, now what?"  I didn't want to go down in just swimwear (even though it was swim shorts and swim tee)...  I didn't want to change in a bathroom stall... I didn't know if there were changing stalls - still don't know (I guess I assumed not, maybe I should've assumed otherwise, maybe I should've called the hotel and asked in advance - but then the whole point of always having swimwear in my luggage is that I don't have to think about it)... I didn't want to put clean clothes on a sweaty body after a swim workout in a humid pool area, and again, in a bathroom stall, and not knowing if there were lockers...  So I threw the robe on and headed down to the pool(!), praying to GOD that no one would see me. Luckily I managed unseen, disrobed and threw it on a chaise, took my swim, dried off as best I could, wrapped myself back up in the robe and headed back up to my room, again unseen.  I have to admit, I felt really uncomfortable doing this, but - call me stupid or lazy or whatever, I didn't know what else to do.  If it had been at a resort, it would've been different, as everybody is wandering around in swim/pool related wear, but this was an urban property in a business district.  So what's the moral of the story?  I'm not sure?  I really don't want to pack extra clothes just to go to/from the pool!  What to do?

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Thank goodness only the Lord knows!  Let's keep it that way.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I agree with you muppetwrangler and my wife feels so strongly about this that she gets angry when  she sees it.  Perhaps it's because of our age, but we were raised to wear clothes in public and pjs at home for sleeping and breakfast.

My son is 12, and has been traveling with us since he was 3 months old.  I would never allow him to wear pjs to the CL or breakfast area, even when he was much younger. 

greekbecky Platinum

You all have renewed my hope in mankind.  When I see some adult in MJ Hammer pants and 20-somethings going to the store in their jammies, I see them as lazy.  I wonder what's happening to our society.

mistergreen Member

How utterly charming ! I find this habit that some people have so revolting and selfish. It's very similar to Moms taking the kids to school whilst still in pj's and slippers ! So lazy.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

from someone that does not wear pjs to bed, i have no other choice than to change.

henderjess Silver

I've only observed this twice with teenage girls traveling with their basketball teams. They made the breakfast area look like a big slumber party. I have never seen adults wearing PJs in public areas of any hotel; it certainly isn't a big problem.     

ramoneur Platinum

ah well;

I just went for a quick "dinner" in Mac Donald's here in Beijing;

while trying to eat, a guy sat next to me and lit up a cigarette;

it can always be worse

greekbecky Platinum

Been there, done that...be thankful you're not in Shenzhen.

ramoneur Platinum

you're right;

Beijing I consider to be the most "civilized" city here in Beijing (it's very hard to find "interesting places" here btw)

I have been to many cities in the last few years, and found cities like Shenzen, Chongqing, Xiamen, etc. to be far worse regarding this behavior

MarriotSavedMyFamily Member

Hello,

sometimes people do good to go down and get breakfast.  I've spent many mornings without breakfast because I have been fighting a mysterious illness.  When you see someone try to keep an open mind.  I absolutely see where you are coming from but consider the fact that person may be doing well to walk down and get something which definitely will impact if they have a good day or not.

i haven't gone down to eat in my PJ's but I have been able to smell it and was just too ill to walk down.  Changing was absolutely out of question because I was too sick.  My family has been poisoned by organic building materials used in mid 2000's and later.  Our home was built in 2009 and we had to leave everything we own behind.  If I make it down at this point in my recovery it would have to be in PJ's.  Simply because I'm ill, my kids and husband are too.

thsnk you

ramoneur Platinum

I am in a "very Chinese" hotel now in Beijing

Pressed for time, I just tried the restaurant area at the basement level;

69 rmb (about 12 dollars) for buffet;

ok, I thought, I'll do this

- I saw people jamming full their table with stuff I am sure they'll only eat half of

- an entire family was there eating food in their pajama's

- this hotel is supposed to be non-smoking; think again my friend...

- I left my table to go for a second round (fruit this time); I come back: table taken; I think not my friend...

- I can eat things "that would make a goat barf" (Rambo); I could only down about 50% of what was offered

- burping, farting, loud talking on phone and/or with each other, etc.

- children - some in only PJ's - are running around screaming

I am really looking forward to go to a Marriott again tomorrow

worrying thing is: I could travel for weeks around this country without bothering about these things too much;

now, after barely a week, I am already longing to go home again

the only culture left in Beijing is to be found in the museums

greekbecky Platinum

Oh you painted that picture PERFECTLY, but you left out 'nose picking'.  Everywhere I went, there's someone knuckle deep in a nostril...am I right? 

ramoneur Platinum

you're spot on :-)

in the taxi to my new hotel here I again got into a "double-row-single-gate" situation;

in my home country, people would be courteous and just let you in the "right row";

not here;

rearview mirror almost touched the stoic driver to our left, who just ignored my taxi and refused to let us pass into the row;

god forbid he had to wait an extra 10 seconds to get the toll ticket

(sometimes I cannot stand it anymore; luckily there still are enough fun things to do/see here in China)

greekbecky Platinum

That reminds me of when you wait to get on a China Air flight...its a contact sport.

ramoneur Platinum

unfortunately I know what you mean with this

greekbecky Platinum

Please forgive me if I asked this already...but what are you doing in China?  Are you doing an international assignment or do you permanently live there?  Are you in IT?  I'm not trying to be nosy (yes, pun intended)...I'm in IT, that's why I go, so I thought maybe you're there for the same purpose.  I am still being asked to do an extended assignment, but it would have to be Singapore or Australia instead, not China...seen too many things, had too many eye infections from the pollution and the nose picking, well I think we have that one covered lol.

ramoneur Platinum

trained as a tool/construction engineer, I am now somewhere between sales and engineering

I love IT and had some jobs in IT;

I still do a lot of side projects for the company I work for related to IT (I made a Quote Generator for Sales Assistents, saving about 2000 hours per year now),

but my job is Sales Support;

I work for a big food machine company and I basically travel with Chinese sales guys, answering all technical and technological questions;

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Knuckle deep in a nostril... Ugh!

ramoneur Platinum

why don't they have the decency to throw the ends into the toilet when they ignore the non-smoke police?

20160505 - non-smoking hotels here in beijing 1.JPG

oh, wait, some of them did:

20160505 - non-smoking hotels here in beijing 2.JPG

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sign in my local pub:

"Please don't throw dog-ends into the Urinal as it makes them soggy and difficult to light"

Classy place

Oh and for my American friends, what we in the UK call a dog-end, you call a used cigarette butt.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...