7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2016 8:17 AM by brightlybob RSS

Thanks but no Thanks

roadscholar Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Today I received an email from Radius Global stating my opinion was very important. It was being conducted for Marriott International and would I take 15 minutes to offer my responses to various questions. My opinion was needed and important. After answering the first 2 questions,state I reside and gender the 3rd question was age. I put in my age 60+ and was immediately told my opinion was no longer necessary. I found this offensive. I have spent over 800 nights at various Marriott properties and thought I could offer some good insight. Apparently not!   Am I overreacting?  Has thishappened to any other rewards members?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Thanks but no Thanks
    peymanagement Platinum

Don't worry it was a scam. Don't answer any calls claiming to be Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have had a couple of similar requests with a number of yes and no's to begin and with one no I was then told they no longer needed my answers. it could have been an attempt to get younger people or as peymanagement said a scam 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have been contacted, via e-mail by Marriott, asking me to participate in a survey.  I never was treated that way, regardless of my answer to any question.  This sounds like some sort of scam that  had no connection to Marriott.  Report this to Marriott and see if they react in any way!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Yes I have had the same, but not from Marriott.  Whether it was a scam or not I don't know, but I do know a little about market research.

There is usually a demographic whose opinions are needed for the particular research at the time.  It could be younger people, older people, people with children etc.

Here in the UK we often have market researchers in the street.  As we walk towards them, we can always tell if we will be stopped or not by the people they are approaching ahead of us.  If we are not approached (and we HATE being approached like this in the street) we just say to each other "Oh good.  They didn't want oldies today."

So don't be offended roadscholar  You just didn't fit the demographic they were looking for that day.  Just think, you saved nearly 15 minutes of your life!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Like Tommo781, I don't think it was a scam. Scammers will harvest any info they can from anyone - they're equal opportunity scumbags!

You've experienced the online version of being looked right through by the clipboard wielding street researcher, and like Tommo781, when that happens to me I breathe a sigh of relief that they're not researching the handsome, young, well-dressed demographic

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Oh Dear brightlybob.  If only you could see yourself as others see you!

superchief1 Platinum

You are absolutely correct. I have worked in Marketing research for many years and in several industries. Most marketing research studies are done to accomplish specific objectives, so the target audience may vary. In some cases, quotas are set for each age group in order to have a balanced sample of opinions. Others target specific age groups. When roadscholar answered this question, either the quota for the age group was already full or the research was targeting younger respondents. If this survey was truly sponsored by Marriott, I would have expected them to be able to know your age from your MR profile.

It seems that most major companies today no longer care about more 'seasoned' people like us, even though boomers still represent the majority of revenue for most companies. Many, including Marriott, are trying to please Millennials while alienating long-term loyal customers. I think part of the problem is that most Marketing people today are younger and think everyone is like them. I have to fight everyday to remind our marketing team that both groups need to be considered, and companies can attract new customers without alienating the 'old' ones, and it is important to understand the opinions of both groups.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...