1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 4, 2016 2:49 PM by deannad RSS

Poor Experience at Check In at Marriott St. Louis Grand

marriottman1988 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just had an unfortunately poor check-in experience at the Marriott St. Louis Grand. I have frequented this hotel many times and have usually gotten excellent service. The check-in started good with the clerk immediately noting my Platinum status (hey its corny but I appreciate that). However, things took a turn for the worse when I asked for an upgrade (I always do and sometimes I get them sometime I don't). The person checking me in said that she will see if there are any upgrades available and said that I would have to pay for them if they were. When I reminded her that I was Platinum (something that she acknowledged at the beginning check in), she said that did not matter and that Plats and Golds only get upgraded to the next room type. Now, I have stayed at this hotel many, many times and I have gotten upgraded to a suite with no charge and nice rooms and no charge. I was done and not going to get into with her until she said that other clerks need to be "retrained" because they have been giving out better upgrades to Plats and Golds and unfortunately Plats and Golds have come to expect that. Wow just wow that this person (who seemed like a manager) thought they clerks should be retrained because they were actually valuing Plats and Golds.

This is completely against the ToS of upgrade rewards (hell just tell me its not available don't retrain or punish employees for actually giving me a good experience). It really soured my view of Marriott as a brand because if you are actually going to criticize employees who go above and beyond for their customers and especially go above and beyond for rewards members, then this company has a major problem. Needless to say I am pretty pissed and I can't say that I would recommend going to this hotel if that is the attitude. Which is a major disappointment since many of the employees do attempt to go above and beyond. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Poor Experience at Check In at Marriott St. Louis Grand
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
    Currently Being Moderated

Sorry to hear of this experience marriottman1988. Please send me a private message with your Rewards number, reservation/confirmation number, and any additional details (clerk's name if you have it), so I can notify our Customer Care team of this incident. You are correct in that Platinum Elite members receive complimentary upgrades based on availability, inserted below from the Terms & Conditions:

Learn about Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites.  All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

I look forward to hearing from you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...