26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2016 3:42 AM by karlywood RSS

Wifi on airplane

pilam76 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

has anyone used the Wi-Fi on and American airlines flight recently? I am on an American Airlines flight Tuesday and want to know if the Wi-Fi is strong enough to stream video? Such as YouTube or Netflix?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, Florida
  • Re: Wifi on airplane
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I haven't used wifi on AA, pilam76, but have heard many accounts stating that it isn't fast enough to stream video, especially if many on the flight are using the service as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I regualry use wifi on AA and it is too slow to stream video.  I do believe that they note that the wifi feed is not adequate for streaming (please  don't hold me to this).  Like all plane wifi it is not cheap, about $5 for 30 minutes, with all day or complete flight options also avaialbe.  Hope this helps and have a great flight.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

actually on longer flights they charge even more than 5 for 30 minutes.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

pilam76, some flights now claim that they do have wifi suitable for streaming.  I haven't tried it myself.  When you go to go-go inflight (or whatever the wifi provider is), if the streaming option is available, it will tell you.  shashack is right that it will warn you if the connection is not suitable for streaming. To know ahead of time, you could AA to see what your flight offers.

thansau_239 Member

I think it's not enough for streaming video. look it for more detail https://www.americanairlines.com/i18n/travelInformation/duringFlight/onboardTechnology.jsp

<a href="http://dulichre.org/kinh-nghiem-du-lich-nha-trang/">Du lich Nha Trang gia re</a>

Platinum

At least you fliers on AA have the potential - United explicitly blocks all forms of streaming (Netflix, Hulu, etc) so even if the bandwidth can theoretically handle it, I'm outta luck. Too many points and better routing for my needs to switch - so hoping UA improves sometime in the next year or ??

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

No  it is not for that.

It is very slow .....so you can message or slowly surf the web.

ramoneur Platinum

is nobody a littlebit worried about all the wifi signals, interfering (increasing in strength at resonance points), and the effect on our bodies?

we're already taking a higher dose of cosmic radiation out there (less Van Allen protection)...

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I really don't think most people are thinking of or worrying about that, to be honest.

peymanagement Platinum

did you ever do your calculation of increased rad dose? I think you will find it is not that significant.

Platinum

tinfoil hats are available at most major airport bars - just ask!

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I've never used the wireless service on AA but have used it a number of times on United and have never had any issues watching streaming video on You Tube or Netflix.  I was very happy with the service and it only cost $3.99 on a 2 hour flight.

Platinum

renaissanceman1944  - I fly on United every 2 weeks, total of 6 segments each trip,  and I can tell you that Netflix and Youtube are explicitly blocked on all planes where I've used wifi. Are you outside of the US? Last flown a while ago? It also varies in price depending on the distance and it's been up to near $20 on a cross country flight of 6 hrs.

See United's stated policy here: Wi-Fi frequently asked questions | United Airlines

Below are bullets from the site:

Why can't I use Netflix or other streaming video websites?

Live video and Internet streaming services are not permitted. Streaming video from a website requires extensive bandwidth and will not work as well on a plane as it does on the ground

Does United Wi-Fi restrict what content I may view?United does not allow customers to access certain websites that may be inappropriate or unsuitable for inflight viewing. We also do not support live video and Internet-based streaming services.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

Thats odd dansplan...neither were blocked for me...domestic flight...LGA to ORD...flew roundtrip twice in the last two weeks and watched both on my iPad.  Both trips were on relatively newer planes which may have had the newer wifi systems the airlines are all going to.

Platinum

Yep, I actually sat next to a guy from gogo who do all of the wireless for UA's planes about a week ago. Their system is a mishmosh right now (just look at the flights you get in with the Beta video stuff, vs Direct TV, vs some with nothing but the back of the headrest - even in 1st class! )So you may very well have been on a newer or at least different plane. No harm no foul

greekbecky Platinum

Same here, just flew United yesterday and had no issues streaming.

Platinum

greekbecky I have 3 more long haul flights between now and June, all on UAL, so I'll check it out and see if anything's changed. ORD to LAX LAX - ORD and EWR to LAX (PS flight)

greekbecky Platinum

Forget the wifi concern, my advice is to avoid EWR, lol!  I never have a good experience going through that airport.

Oh, no!  We are connecting through EWR for the next trip.  Say it isn't so!

greekbecky Platinum

Lol, its probably just me, you'll be fine....:)

Platinum

It's not just you, but... I am normally on the middle segment of 3 when I arrive or depart EWR or ORD, so I don't actually have to deal with the TSA process there. If you fly UAL, you really should know what a P.S. (Premium Service) flight is all about in 1st - any there are very few domestic PS routes - 2 of them being EWR LAX and EWR SFO  either direction. Of course, if you think the combination of UA and EWR is close to the definition of hell, then I wouldn't blame you either

greekbecky Platinum

My issue is not with EWR TSA, but more with the general crappy attitude of the airport staff including United gate crews.  I've had the door closed on my face more times that I want to admit, forcing me to spend a leisurely 5 hours sitting in the filthiest of all United Clubs.  I guess its just something in the air at that airport.

dansplan, I bought the $3.99 wifi on an ORD-BOS last week on UA, and no streaming for me, either.  And I couldn't get a decent connection to my office's virtual desktop, so the wifi was not useful for my needs.

Jsucool76 Gold

I rarely use in flight wifi, but there's usually a disclaimer on american (nearly the only airline I fly) that they won't allow you to use netflix or other streaming services due to bandwith constraints.

For flights that use Gogo in flight wifi...

"Gogo does not support live video or streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO GO."

Platinum

OK, so we need a photo of anyone who is streaming Netflix, Hulu, VUDO, HBOGO, Amazon Prime, or even youtube, on United, Delta, or American - game on folks!

karlywood Member

Have you an Apple Watch and finding to turn on Airplane mode on Apple iWatch?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...