16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2016 11:37 AM by seatexan RSS

No A/C at the AC hotel - What do you do?

68barracuda Gold
Currently Being Moderated

This is my first stay at an AC Hotel by Marriott here in Spain.  It is almost 85 degrees in my room. As luck would have it I carry a calibrated thermometer for my work.  The air conditioning does not work.  The front desk's solution?  Open the window.  Lovely, no screen and frontage on the main road.  Lots of noise and exhaust fumes or sweat while I am sitting still. I don't see much sleep tonight either way.  I selected this hotel because I truly like Marriott brand, but the service here has been so so  and now I am not so sure.  I have 6 more nights after tonight reserved here,  and now I am questioning,  should I stay or should I go?  I have another reservation next weekend at an AC hotel in Almeria and I'm wondering if I should find a room elsewhere.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No A/C at the AC hotel - What do you do?
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi 68barracuda,

Sorry to hear of your experience. I'm curious - is the AC at the entire hotel not working, or just in your room? Either way, I'd like to share this with our Customer Care team. Please send me a private message with your Rewards number and reservation/confirmation number.  I look forward to receiving this from you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Sorry to read about your predicament.  I have experienced unresolved issues with A/C at both Marriott and non-Marriott properties in Italy and France.  It's no fun.  I found that while the hotel staff tried to convey empathy, they really weren't motivated quite enough to ultimately find an acceptable resolution (at one property they claimed they were booked and could not move us, and additionally stated that diagnostically, the A/C was working in our room, at another property, they claimed they had the system guys change the setting for the floor, but the difference was only marginal, and at yet another property, they tried to assist us with the a/c remote, but it made little difference as well.  In Europe, Americans (sorry, assuming you are American) are well known for their penchant for cold room temperatures and a love affair with the ice cube.  Europeans seem to find this more amusing than anything, unfortunately.  If it were me, I'd spend the time right away to see if the issue could be resolved, and if not, I'd probably be looking for alternative lodging, but only if it could demonstratively provide good A/C.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've been fortunate to have never run into this problem at a Marriott property.  I have run into situations where the AC was working, though not sufficiently to allow us to sleep.  On those occasions, we were gone in the morning if the situation could not be remedied.  Nobody ever tried to penalize us for leaving and on a couple of occasions we were comped for the night that we stayed.  We once, however had a problem with a heater that would not stop heating the room no matter how hot it got.  This was at an, otherwise, very nice hotel that was privately owned and run.  The owner's wife suggested that we "Think cool and we would be all right."  They, reluctantly, turned the heat off completely, at our request, and moved us to another room in the morning!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Sounds like experience my wife and I had in Brugges (not a Marriott hotel, though). To make matters worse, Brugges is a city of canals, and our room was adjacent to one, so that hot night we had a local "flock" of mosquitoes enter our room. I stayed up half the night trying to rid the room of these pests, and trying to sleep with sheet over my head. The next morning when we went down for breakfast, the hotel clerk noticed our red spots and said, "Should have warned you to not open the window!" - a bit late.

seatexan Platinum

"local "flock" of mosquitoes" LOL! Well put!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

sometimes in the transition time ( spring to summer) the  hotels try to avoid using air to save money in the entire hotel.

seatexan Platinum

How miserable! 6 more nights in 85 degrees, no thanks! I personally would need to move hotels.  I really hope they get it sorted for you!  Let us know how it ended up.

fistuk Platinum

68barracuda,

I may be able to shed some more light for you on this matter:

As jerryl indicated, the reason for this is the period of the year you're staying in: If it's not summer time than all AC hotels disables their A/C in order to save money. I had the same thing when I stayed in the 'AC Hotel Ciutat de Palma' (in Palma De Mallorca) a few years ago. They also ridiculously told me to open the window when I was complaining and that there's nothing else they could do about it. This is exactly why I left them a negative review when Marriott emailed me a request to fill in a survey about my stay there. I got a response to my review from one of the managers in the hotel apologizing and explaining the same thing as a reason for no A/C, but actually there was nothing new in that... When it's a policy it's a policy - even when it's not summer but still burning outside - what an illogical thinking... I could convince a wall before they would agree to listen!!

Lately I understood this is quite a phenomenon when I stayed at the 'Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa' in Italy: This hotel's level is far above any AC hotel but they also had their A/C disabled (till mid of May) because it's not summer yet... So this is a common policy in some European hotels I guess.

A nice solution I found to be useful is to request a fan brought in to the room - really helped 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This mirrors my experiences at several EU hotels, both Marriott and otherwise. Generally room AC is switched off Nov-Apr no matter what the temperature. During that time the room thermostat only controls heating to keep the room up to required temperature. It seldom discomforts me, indeed having been brought up without central heating in the countryside I'm used to sleeping in a wide range of room temperatures, what bothers me is noise, and those AC units can be noisy, indeed I'm in Miami right now and I leave the AC off overnight, I can sleep happily in a warm room but not a noisy one.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

We Brits of a certain age sure are hardy, aren't we brightlybob!  When I was a kid, we had only coal fires for heating, and crittall windows in our house.  When I opened my bedroom curtains in the morning in winter, it was nothing unusual to have ice on the INSIDE of the windows.  But that was the norm, so we thought nothing of it.

But I totally agree with you about noise.  I cannot sleep in a hotel if there is a lot going on outside.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I remember many times waking up to find the glass of water next to my bed on the windowsill (parents couldn't afford a bedside table!) had become a block of ice overnight.

Recently our central heating conked out and it took a couple of days for the plumber to get the right part and the kids complaints were hilarious. And of course this has been one of the mildest winters in record. Wimps

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Couldn't agree more brightlybob.  When I think back to my childhood, kids now would think I was deprived and maltreated.  But actually I was always well fed, properly clothed and LOVED!  I had a wonderful upbringing, but we didn't have air con; TV other than 2 stations in black and white and then not until after I was 7 (and there was a break from about 5pm to 7pm so children could do their homework); no computers; no mobile phones - well actually no phone at all other than the phone box 2 streets away; no car, but I had a bike; and so on.

Know what - I had a fabulous childhood playing outside with the neighbourhood children; going to the swimming pool in the school summer holidays with sandwiches for lunch and coppers in my pocket to buy an ice cream; going to the local church youth club etc etc.  Air con?  What is air con?  Have you got it at home brightlybob?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

After thinking about this subject, further, I realize that the European attitude toward AC is not a problem for me.  I have always travelled to Europe (7 or 8 trips)  between November and February and A/C is never an option there at that time.

I do, however, occasionally experience the European attitude about Americans wanting ice in our water.   Somehow, I am just as perplexed by Europeans drinking water without it.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I have stayed at non-Marriott hotels in Spain during the summer where I would have to call the front desk to have them turn the AC on even though there was a thermostat in the room.  Guess the thermostat didn't control anything!

seatexan Platinum

68barracuda Did you end up staying or going?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...