29 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2016 7:19 AM by bejacob RSS

Why I'm Leaving Marriott - April Fools!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In the spirit of the April Fool's' Day, I offer the following generic form letter for anyone wishing to express their dissatisfaction with Marriott and Marriott Rewards. It is important that this letter only be used by brand new participants to this forum (otherwise it loses some of its impact).

I know many longtime Insiders will appreciate the humor humour expressed here. For newer members, please understand this is meant as a joke. I do not wish to offend anyone.

Form Letter - Please strikethrough the wording that does not apply and fill in any blanks as necessary.

Dear Marriott Rewards Insiders (that is what you call yourselves, right?),

I have decided to end my relationship with Marriott and thought for some reason all of you would care to know why. While I’m sure no one from Marriott corporate will ever see this, I feel the need to post it somewhere, and where better than a community of Marriott loyal guests that, until today, I had no idea even existed.

I’ve have been a semi-loyal Platinum|Gold|Silver|Basic member for the past (   18  ) years. I am taking my business to Hilton|Hyatt|Starwood|IHG|( Motel 6  ) as I feel they better appreciate me. I lost faith in Marriott due to points devaluations|lack of upgrades|poor customer service|lame MegaBonus promotions|(all of the above).

I will be spending the next ( 4 ) months burning through my ( 257,395 ) Marriott Rewards Points because ( I want to extract every bit of value I can from the program even though it will pain me to continue to support a company I no longer believe in ). If you know of any rundown category 1-5 properties, I would be grateful to hear of them as I prefer to have something additional to complain about during my last months with Marriott and I still have one more certificate left to use.

To paraphrase the old Country song, “Marriott, you done me wrong and I ain’t sleepin’ in your bed no more.” Please don't ask me which song, I can't remember, but I know I heard it somewhere.

Insincerely,

M.R. Disgruntled

Enjoy

April Fools!

bejacob

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why I'm Leaving Marriott - April Fools!
    seatexan Platinum

LOL motel 6!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Well aren't you just a little jokester today bejacob!

Almost reminds me of a Mad Libs where you insert verb/adjective/nouns to make others laugh !

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You should have listed Motel 6 as the destination.

flyingsouth Platinum

Lol, love this bejacob.  I thought the best line was when they asked for suggestions for run down cat 1-5 properties!  And deannad, you are so right, it does remind me of Mad Libs. 

peymanagement Platinum

chuck.jpgbejacob, I will have you know that I am the international spokesman for the chain that you slander. There are no lights at Motel 6.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, realistic peymanagement, mind you I thought one of the benefits of Motel6 Cardboard Elite was the free use of a lightbulb for the duration of your stay.

And if you reached the dizzy heights of copper elite they'd turn on the electricity so you could use it!

seatexan Platinum

hahahahahaha!!!!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Ummmmmm.  What is Motel 6 please?

And thank you bejacob for ensuring your spell check inserted the correct spelling of humour. 

You may not know this Tommo781, but despite being born in the U.S., I grew up in Australia. That meant that when I moved back to the States, I had to relearn how to spell a great many words as well as forget the metric system.  On the plus side, it does make it easier when traveling, as I have less trouble understanding weather reports in Celsius than most of my compatriots.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Hey bejacob I didn't know that at all.  Where in Australia?  We have very good friends in Brisbane.  Childhood friends of ours in the UK also have a son who was a chef at the Marriott York, Uk.  He went travelling a couple of years ago with his girlfriend, and arranged in advance to chef at Marriott Brisbane for 6 months.  Totally unrelated to our friends in the area; they have never met.

We also have friends who emigrated 30 years ago to Auckland, New Zealand, where we have visited them several times, and even flown out to attend their daughter's wedding.  But as you will know Kiwis and Aussies are daggers drawn!  Know what?  Neither Mr or Mrs Tommo have ever gone metric.  Here in the UK the Tommos still think in feet and inches, fahrenheit, miles etc.  How do you stand on that brightlybob

Sydney. Lived in the town of Oyster Bay, N.S.W.

Oh, gosh, I'm metric through and through Tommo781

I measure in in mm, cm and metres, and although I drive in miles I convert that distance in my head to kilometres to get an idea of the distance I've really covered. Fluids are litres and ml and I convert MPG to litres to understand what fuel economy I'm really getting. A mile is 1.6km, a foot is 30cm, a pint is 568ml and a pound is 454g. 0 degrees is freezing point, 100 is boiling, 20 is a nice day, 25 is lovely and 30 is hot. All Fahrenheit has to be converted to Celsius by deducting 30 and dividing by 2. I have to convert all imperial measurements in my head to metric so I can understand what they really are!

It's not easy living in Britain with a mind as metricated as mine, Tommo781

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

The only temperatures I ever remember in Celcius brightlybob are 28 and 16.  Just because they are simply reversals of fahrenheit!

And greetings to you Tommo781 from beautiful Miami Beach where I'm just watching the sun rise as the remaining residents (and the wife) sleep on!

Let me treat you to a quick photo of the view right now from my balcony at the Marriott Stanton... Paradise!

image.jpeg

Coincidentally enough, its going to be 28 today (and thanks to your new fact we both now know what that is in our respective "proper money")with abundant sunshine... Woohoo

In truth, I prefer "humor".  The extra "u" probably adds greatly to Global Warming" due to the tons of ink used to print all these extra letters!

peymanagement Platinum

Tommo, the motel 6 is a low low budget motel chain in North America.  It started in the 60's with the promise that you could get a room for 6 dollars. Similar to todays budget airlines it was very basic with add ons such as an extra dollar for a tv.. Now they are scattered along freeways around North America. They are considered the lowest budget hotel chain, thus the joke.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks for that peymanagement.  I know where not to stay in the US now. 

In less prosperous days, I really appreciated Motel 6.  I started in the early 70s when we could still get a room for $6.  You had to pay an extra dollar if you wanted to use the TV.  Nevertheless, the rooms were clean and comfortable,

I do however enjoy a FS Marriott with a CL, nowadays.

I stayed a time or two myself in my younger, poorer days.

peymanagement Platinum

phctourist yes I do not knock it either. When we were traveling to Florida  on I 75 or I 95 with two kids and a light  budget, we were happy to find a super 8 or motel 6 late at night, and get a few hours of sleep and get moving again in morning. The super 8 had a cup of coffee, a toaster and loaf of bread and jam. I could load the kids up for a couple of hours before stopping at cracker barrel, bob evens or waffle house,

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

you must be related to my father, who in the late 1970's and early 1980's took us (me and my sister) on the trips down I-95 to Florida and we stayed at either motel 6 (for the $6) or Days inn ($8). I remember him complaining when Days inn went to $9!!!!!. Gas was 31cents/gallon(pre oil shock/embargo days). Rooms were clean, and decent. I didn't stay in a "fancy" hotel until I stated working when I went to San Juan, PR on business and stayed at the Condado Hilton (in 1985, it was $200/night for an ocean view room) and when I told my dad he asked if I was buying the hotel!!!! And Cracker Barrel was too fancy for my father, we ate at roadside stands and I lived to tell about it! Thanks for the memories, and to really show my age, I remember those trips because in parts of SC and Georgia, you had to get off I-95 and get onto old road 301 since 1-95 was still being constructed in parts of those states!!

peymanagement Platinum

LOL, No I think I am a bit later than that, Mine were in the 80s and 90s, By then, rooms along the interstate were around 40 bucks. My first loyalty program was Howard Johnson's which wasn't such a bad brand back then. I persecuted my kids with Cracker Barrel on those trips. We had to stop there.

By the way the 8 dollar hotel that your father stopped at was probably the super 8. The Days Inn was much more upscale than that, They had a pool.

I was at the Condado Hilton in 1985 as well and I am sure the company paid something like that. My first fancy hotel was the inter-continental in Seoul at about at that time. It was amazing, and still is. 

nmballoonist Platinum

As your rewards bonus they'll leave the light on for ya and Tom Beaudet will check you in.

mavster Silver

Good April Fool's post.  This conversation reminded me of Tom Bodett's appearance on NPR's Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me show last year.  He talked about being sued over the "leave the light on" slogan.  It was during the Bluff the Listener game so may or may not have been real, but was funny...especially if you like courtroom humor.

You can find the audio (Bodett's segment starts at 4:15) and the show transcript at: Bluff The Listener : NPR .

I remember listening to that particular show. I found it even more amusing since the fictitious lawsuit took place in my city.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...