9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2016 5:49 PM by 7 RSS

A lack of slippers in London

7 Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I never cared about hotel slippers, but my wife always uses them (even at home, it's an Asian thing). As we were packing for our trip she asked if she should bring some and I said "Why bother? They always have them in the rooms." Naturally, now it's my fault that she finds herself without any slippers as neither of the hotels we've stayed at so far had them.

She mentioned it to her friend that lives here and said that has been a common complaint from everyone that has come to visit her and she doesn't know why, but it seems London hotels never provide slippers.

I wanted to ask my fellow travellers about the state of slippers in the world of hotels today. Do you typically see them? Anybody use them? Anyone have a reason for their absence across brands in a specific location? (I was thinking theoretically that it could theoretically be the result of some weird interpretation of some unusual law.)

Note to Marriott: This isn't a complaint on my part, just a curious observation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A lack of slippers in London
    Platinum 4 Reviews

I've never seen complimentary slippers or booties at Marriott (although I can't speak to all Marriott's).

Costs would most likely be the determining  factor overriding any cultural disparity for Marriott.   My mum always wears slippers inside a hotel room for a fear of germs. However its more of an anal thing with her.  Sorry Mum!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Mrs Tommo likes hotel slippers.  She wears them during the stay, then bins them at the end.  Actually, we always get them at West India Quay, London, and York UK.  I don't know if that is because we always stay in a higher grade room/suite, and they are only included in the room price of the higher tiers.  However, I am sure all the hotels in London have them, so just ask for some if you want them.  I would, especially as you are a Platinum.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

When they came by for the turndown service she asked and they said they will bring her some.

seatexan Platinum

I have never seen slippers in any of my rooms, at least not that I can recall.  Do you throw them out or take them with you when you leave? 

I wonder if other people wear them too and put them back...

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I've never used them, but she takes them with her under the assumption that is the sort of thing that shouldn't be reused for other people anyway.

hassmh Gold

I've only ever observed them when we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Tyson's Corner. May have seen and not remembered in other locations.

The ones at the Ritz-Carlton were in a sealed plastic bag, virtually impossible to put back without being obvious, not to mention being white would show almost any sign of prior wear. I wore them there and brought home as a souvenir, since I don't know when I'll next get to a Ritz-Carlton! But they are probably meant to be disposable, with what seems to be cardboard inside the sole I don't imagine they wash well at all!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I really don't understand why no-one gets slippers and we always do.  We get 2 pairs, each in plastic.  Mrs Tommo wears hers and throws them in the bin at the end of the stay.  If the second pair isn't used, we just leave them there.  They are quite cheap, and are meant to be disposable.  I have found this picture on the internet of exactly what we get.

fistuk Platinum

I truly sympathize with you, 7.

My wife also likes those sleepers very much, and she even takes them home with her

She always asks me if she'll have sleepers in the hotel we're going to stay at so I always check in advance, since it depends on the room type.

Here's a nice tip:

In your reservation click the room type you booked and see what it contains. If you ought to get those sleepers it will be indicated in the room's amenities.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks, I did know that was listed there. I just checked and it is listed for my room type.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...