2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2010 4:28 PM by anadyr RSS

Follow-up not there

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, there are times when things break down--I know that.  At this Courtyard Hotel in Carlsbad CA the suite that we're occupying is on the top floor (of three).  Soon after checking in we noticed a loud rumble coming from either the ceiling or the walls adjacent to the bedroom.  Fortunately Marriott Courtyards provide many many pillows so we were able to shut out most of the noise, but not all of the vibrations. The light fixtures in the ceiling keep time with the vibrations as well.

I mentioned this to the front desk as I left the hotel for the day and was assured that engineering would look into the problem and fix it.  Some of the HVAC equipment on the roof might need to be repaired, he said.  Granted it was a weekend but I was assured that it would be fixed since the engineer came in around 9 am on Saturdays.

I gave the manager on duty my cell number, mentioned that he could have access to the room at any time, and asked for a status update.  I also mentioned that I would prefer another room if the problem could not be identified or fixed.  I reaffirmed the need to know about the solution to the problem.

Nothing happened: The noise and vibration are still there, the lights are syncopated as before,  and more importantly, I never got an explanation why or how this happened.

In this instance there was no follow-up to my request.  Marriott properties, including Courtyards used to have a small stand-up cardboard card that promised a fix to any problem immediately. If that card is here I don't see it.  Sadly, we've had to have two relatively sleepless nights as a result.

I hope (and will contact the management here about this) this property can remedy this situation and that when a guest asks, they follow-up.  I would have appreciated a call or note telling me that nothing could be done, if that was the case.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Follow-up not there
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones,

I'm behind the curve and catching up on posts and just noticed this report about Courtyard Carlsbad. 

Recalling two less-than-favorable nights last year at two properties in CT, I asked myself,  "Did Marriott deliver a guest experience where I felt relaxed, revived and re-energized at check-out?"  W/o getting into the details, the answer is, 'No.'

Thankfully, the incidents were not back-to-back.  One night with repeated sleep interruptions is bad enough to ruin a weekend getaway, but two?  The whole point of staying with Marriott is a restful night's sleep.

Based upon your verbatim account, the Courtyard Carlsbad failed to deliver upon Marriott's promise.  Realizing that the burden of follow-up now shifts to you, the guest; what if anything did Courtyard Carlsbad management do to make amends?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Follow-up not there
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

TJC:  My bad as the kids say.  I was called on my mobile while navigating the 4145 foot Tejon Simmit of the infamous Grapevine Pass on I-5 by one of the management staff who apologized for not having reached me in the room or by phone.  Given CA law (ignored for the most part) I waited until I was in the hamlet of Lebec to call him back.

He apologized. I never ask for compensation, he never offered. It was a cordial conversation.  I urged him to reconnect with guests when they have a problem and to ensure that no problem is unsolved during a stay.  He was sympathetic.  My concern was that this not happen to the next guest checking into that "reserved for VIPs" room.  Regardless of price, or upgrade, getting a good night's sleep is the rationale for staying in a hotel.

So, I have made my concerns known with the Courtyard folks and they have responded, albeit not in a timely fashion. GSS will be forthcoming as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...