7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2016 5:29 PM by saraswati1013 RSS

Long term stay how are points applied?

dzuspann Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I currently have a 90 day reservation that I have started. I am curious if points earned can be added to my rewards account prior to checking out of this reservation? In this instance if I stay 31 day or more I am exempt from all the hotel taxes and this allows me to keep my belongings in my room over the weekends. Checking out starts the 31 day count all over so that has consequences.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Long term stay how are points applied?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi dzuspann.  Wow, sounds like quite the stay!  When it comes to receiving points, they are posted to your account within 10 business days of check-out.  If you would like to receive the points sooner, you can ask the front desk to "pre-settle" your account.  In doing this, you will be responsible to pay for all the charges up to that point and would void your 31 day count. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jonsummers Gold

I wish I could pay for your stay!  I need to get that kind of points and nights!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Here to shed light. In regards to receiving your points,  you will need to speak with the hotel and ask if they will report the stay to MRW on a weekly basis.  The only way the hotel can do this is if you pay each week.  When it comes to leaving your belongings kept in the room, that is also completely up to the hotel.  Not all hotels allow this, so if the hotel has made an exception you will need to discuss with them further. 

In summary, it is best to reach out to the hotel directly as they will be able to answer with clarity.  Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

interface7 Platinum

I encounter this scenario often. I stay at a certain property for 11 or 12 nights sometimes. They will do a "pre-settlement" after a week of stay (so 7 or 8 nights). Once they do that the points and nights get posted into my account. I do encounter a problem with this too because the final 3-4 nights do not get posted to my account at all after I've officially checked out. I called the Marriott Rewards hotline and the wonderful gentleman help me out with posting the missing nights and explained to me that the hotel needs to be reminded to complete a SECOND "pre-settlement" action after I officially check out with only the nights not included on the previous pre-settlement. That way it doesn't look like a duplicate stay to the Marriott Rewards system. See, when I check out they are putting in the entire stay dates when in fact the first 7/8 nights have already posted. The system sees that as a duplicate and doesn't catch the final 3-4 nights. SO....with your situation keep an eye on it and maybe sure you're familiar with when the hotel does pre-settlements each week (most likely every Monday) and you'll see nights and points posted Wednesday/Thursday.

And when you check out officially ensure that the final few nights are posted!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Worthwhile knowing that! Thanks interface7

saraswati1013 Platinum

Very interesting. I've been at a property for 6 months. I asked them to pre-settle and they are telling me their property does not do this - which is really a pain for me as I was wanting to use some of the points at the next stay. The staff and property have been outstanding during our entire stay, which makes it harder to raise this as a big issue. But why am I staying with Marriott if certain properties do or don't participate in certain policies? How would I know?

Thank you for the interesting thread. And apologies for all the spamming, the site kept saying it couldn't post :-/.

/sh

saraswati1013 Platinum

I just thought I would add a bit to the excellent response shared by interface7! I choose the RI properties, whenever possible. They are just a larger room, and have a kitchen. I travel with my kitties, (I'm not quite a crazy kat lady, but I do like everyone to be happy in their space). Anyway, I found that some properties that are NOT directly owned by Marriott have difficultly doing a pre-settle as they just are not familiar with the process. At least that is what they have said. Now, they usually end up doing it, and it always works out, but it's been a pain to get it done. SO- if that pre-settle is important to you, you might want to ensure it's a directly owned Marriott property before you decide to stay. That's my 1 penny thought. Thanks and Rock on Marriott!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...