18 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2016 11:34 AM by fschumpert RSS

Exclusive Marriott Vacation Club Offer

jhensler98 Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know I should never fall for one of these, but recently I answered my cell phone from an unidentified number and ended up talking with a Marriott Vacation Club member who pitched a deal stating it was for Marriott Members exclusively. He did a good enough job that I asked him to call me back the next day, which he did and at the time I requested. He pitched a deal to visit Aruba for 5 days and 4 nights at a nice price of $399, as long as I would agree to see a sales pitch for the Vacation Club. My wife and I had just talked about a trip to Aruba and I bit, especially being a Platinum with Marriott. His pitch that put it over the top was "we value the Platinum members and would not put you in any position to "lose" your business.

Well, after at least 6 attempts to set a variety of dates and times to visit Aruba being rejected, I lost my patience with the vacation club client services and agreed to an alternative plan by booking another Marriott Vacation Club location (Palm Desert). It was either that or lose my $200 down payment.

The client service group really did nothing to show they valued a top level customer and must have this happen so often that become insensitive to the customer. This, in my mind, has really given Marriott a black eye and if I can caution other Reward Members, that is my goal today..

Such a shame with the great deal of effort put forth by the rest of the Marriott hotel and customer service personnel.

• Re: Exclusive Marriott Vacation Club Offer
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

MVCI and Marriott hotels are two different companies.

However, in my opinion you should never accept an offer such as they made.  They get your deposit to help their cash flow and then who knows what will happen (e.g., "no days available ... fully booked").

Time share business is a very high sales pressure business, and they know how to do it.  Hang up next time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

Come on, they cant keep your money....... can they?

I would cancel unless you intend to buy., you are going to have a miserable time. You are going to a place that you didn't want to go, you are going to have to go to a presentation that you do not want to go to and......that same guy(s) that you said no to ten times at the presentation are going to phone you in your room, bump into you at the pool, he will be in the line for breakfast.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jhensler98 Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks. I travel quite a bit and have stayed at many of the Vacation Clubs for business. It is what it is. I was just trying to warn others.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Marriott Vacation Club, is probably the most ethical or the time share  operators.  Nevertheless, this is not much different from calling  someone the most ethical of the gangsters around.  It is an industry that practices (actually, they are masters and no longer need any practice) unethical behavior.  I would not have let the person get past their first sentence!

pd315 Silver

I would have called them ethical until a few years ago when MVCI was spun off from Marriott. Since then they operate totally differently using high pressure tactics, lying to you about why they would like to meet with you etc.

peymanagement Platinum

yep, you have to be slippery (slimy in UK tommo to sell a concept that is well past its best before date. Timesharing, no matter what you call it is based on selling accommodation for a long time for more than what it is worth. I know that there are some avid  time share people who will disagree, but I believe that if you put your "investment" plus the maintenance in an account at a modest interest rate, and go each year where you want recognizing that some years you just cant because of aging parents, financial times, lost your job, or there is a really good rate at the World Centre etc. you will always be better. This is from an old guy who has the benefit of rear view and a lot of friends that can not off load these properties.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

They most certainly can!  It is a flat non-refundable deal.  In fairness, when I did it, they highly encouraged me to book my dates as soon as possible, as dates fill up, and they were right.  I waited a couple of months, and then had difficulty finding an available weekend that would fit into my busy calendar.  I finally had to request an extension, which they obliged.  That was my second (and solidly declared to be the last) time I did a MVCI "cheap" weekend.  We did not buy.

The first time I did it, I had to cancel because my dad was terminally ill and I was spending every other weekend at my parents for almost a year.  I asked for special dispensation to cancel and refund because of my circumstances.  They actually gave me the refund, which surprised me.

Timeshares actually pay off for some people, but I would imagine that these folks are in the minority, percentage-wise of all timeshare owners.  It was/is a good fit for my parents.  In 12 years, it has paid for itself, and now, all future stays are gravy.  They bought at such a wonderful property that they never trade.  I wouldn't buy at any property, unless it was one that I knew I would enjoy returning to year after year (well, I wouldn't buy at all, not a good fit for me regardless, but...)  No one should ever take the bait to buy at a property like the older ones in Palm Desert or Orlando, with the expectation of trading for other properties, because it's not gonna happen (these are the least desirable properties and the most difficult to trade, generally speaking, and I don't mean to offend anyone who owns there and loves it, if so, good for you.)

peymanagement Platinum

Thanks pluto77, as I said in another post, it is a slippery slope with time shares,.

B\TW thanks for sharing your AA post earlier, things don't always turn out like we want, but that is why we travel,

To be honest, I don't understand the current relationship between MVC and Marriott. MVC is no longer owned by Marriott and, as far as I'm concerned, should be an embarrassment to the Marriott corporation.  I sold my interest in MVC shortly after it was spun off to me when it became a separate corporation.  I did so, not because I considered it a bad investment, but because I was embarrassed to own it.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It's clear Marriott does not care about being embarrassed as we've recently seen with some of these crazy silly "Member Offers" rates recently......I agree with randomname......HANG UP!!

pd315 Silver

With the tactics they use, Bill Marriott is probably embarrassed his family name is attached to it

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I traveled from the west coast to the east coast and arrived after midnight.  Early the next morning I got a call from vacation club to try to get me in.  They got a flat "NO" and I complained at the front desk later.  The comment was that they do that. 

californian, your response should have been that you resent that the hotel allows them to do that to its guests.  I would have taken that comment to the hotel manager!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The Vacation Club Desks seem to be in many hotels and if Marriott didn't want their guests bothered they wouldn't be there and the least they could do is look at the time zones that the guests live in.  I expect that Marriott makes a big chunk of change from them.  Possibly a cut from each guest who buys.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Well, my comments are similar to what's been labeled, "swimming against the tide" (at least in comparison to all the other posts).....

I'm Marriott Lifetime Platinum, with opportunities to travel internationally in my business, so I traditionally pay for my hotel stays, unless at a personal side strip, using Reward points. The only other time I use my accumulating reward points is when I help my married children with anniversary, or my grandchildren with honeymoon trips.

I've written about this previously, but for those who might not have seen my comments: Several years ago - not responding to a phone call, of which we had previously received many - but we were staying at the Marriott Hotel & Resort, North Myrtle Beach, SC, which has five Marriott Vacation Club villas adjacent to the hotel property. We inquired about the "Destination Points" (not time share), took a tour of the facilities, and a 90-minute sales presentation. We left without purchasing any points, even though offered attractive offers by the sales manager to decide on the spot! A year later, we returned to same location on business, and having given the VC extensive thought (costs, maintenance fees, various locations available, contrast between VC investment and Marriott Rewards, etc.), we signed up for another tour ("to learn of new locations" and added incentives") and afterward decided to purchase a minimal number of points. As any good salesman will attempt, they again tried to encourage us to go for higher number of points, but we stayed with our original plan.* We actually paid for our MVC points using our Marriott Visa Signature credit card in three monthly installments; thereby, entitling us to enough additional Marriott Reward points for several, free hotel stays, so for those who might be considering same you might opt for this payment plan.

We have not regretted our "investment", which others have deemed "foolish", or "wasted money", as we have enjoyed taking family members and neighbors, and have benefited with waived maintenance fees periodically by referring some of our friends to MVC. They have since thanked us repeatedly! The ability to provide high-quality, lodging in signature, picturesque villas - and ability to cook meals in - for 6-8 people over a number of years is something not available with just hotel points. I also realize that occasionally we could actually book a MVC villa using Reward points, when they have available occupancy, but these usually require a high number of points.

One other point, if you feel like you've been pressured into an unwise sales commitment, I believe, MVC provides at least 30 days to revoke your purchase and to receive return of your down payment.

We can also leave our MVC points to our children, if we so choose, or sell them (at a profit over what we paid for them), so at least for us, we're quite content with our MVC Destination Points program; however, everyone should "count the cost before building a house".

peymanagement Platinum

A very sensible post fschumpert. You did your research, visited the property on your terms and made an investment decision. It works for you and that is great and it sounds like you get the most out of it.

What I object to is the tactics used by the time share companies MVC included.. i.e. get folks to the resort, have them attend a meeting, pressure them into an impulse decision.

Last year I was wrapping up my long term loyalty with Wyndham and had points that were going to expire. I bought four nights at the Wyndham in Disney for my daughter and her husband. She fell for the attend a 60 minute meeting with no pressure or expectation to buy and we will give you tickets to Disney. They wasted 4 hours of her time, she had to see five sales reps, each with a higher intensity pitch before they finally forked over the tickets. When they did fork over the tickets, she was made to feel like a deadbeat. But that was not the end of it. The original sales guy, called them every day and on two occasions just happened to bump into them in the breakfast hall. If you ask either of them today, without any context or prompting, what is the worst thing that has ever happened to you on vacation they will say "attending a time share presentation." I know this was Wyndham, but I have seen similar posts on here about MVC.

I am really glad that your investment is working for you. MVC has some beautiful properties.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Old, retail and sales tactic for numerous purchase opportunities - automobiles, and vacation properties, no exception:  "hurry up and buy - limited supply"; "won't last long - prices going up!"; "get them while they last"; "going-out-of-business-sale"!!

Realize that today, with "robo calls", and thousands of telemarketers, being paid not just for over-the-phone commitments, but also the number of calls they make, we should all be wise enough to not fall for these shenanigans!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...