40 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2016 10:52 AM by pluto77 RSS

Since When Do We Fly In Our Pajamas?  Just a rant...

drlandrum Silver
Currently Being Moderated

pajamas 2.jpgpajamas.jpg

Photos from Google

As I travel more and more it seems as if I see more people flying as if they are going to bed.   I'm old enough to recall when people used to fly with class, no matter which class they were seated in.   I think the way we dress when we are in an airport and on a plane speaks volumes about us.   I see this same attire being worn in grocery stores...   It doesn't matter how decorative they are, they are still pajamas!   So you've got a Red Eye, you can dress comfortably without dressing in bed wear.  And what about when you get to your arrival point?   Perhaps it's my age showing, but I think there's a whole generation of people who dress like this on airplanes, and I am not speaking of babies or toddlers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Since When Do We Fly In Our Pajamas?  Just a rant...
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Amazing slippers and all

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

At least she has her designer purse and her stuffy.

Good post,

I have not seen it on airplanes but my pet peeve is adults in the CL in there Jammies and sweaty humans straight out of the gym muscling into the line at the CL to take food back to their room.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I'm just curious, did you ask the girl in the first photo if you could snap a photo of her?  She looks like, "What? Are. You. Doing?"   Of course in the second photo, she is oblivious.

I am with you and others on this, CL's, airports, grocery stores, trains (yep, two middle aged adults in footie pajamas on Amtrak a couple of years ago, and not even bedtime and no sleeper car).  So here's the thing, and I know it's not quite the same, but...

F/A's on some airlines give 1st class passengers pajamas (among other nice things) as an amenity gift on transglobal flights.  I presume the jammies are for sleeping on the flight in the fully lie flat beds.  Is this assumption correct, or no?  I would never wear them, but I just thought I'd mention it.  Has anyone (who's flown in B/F and been gifted the airline jammies upon boarding) actually worn the jammies or seen other passengers wearing them, that is, the gifted jammies?  I have some Qantas jammies.  I did not wear them on the plane.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I'd ask the same thing about both photos. Taking pictures of people without their permission is not good. Publishing them on an internet side is an order of magnitude worse.

As for your question, my wife wears pants like that all the time. They're not pajamas they're just a recent fad. What people wear on airplanes is kind of none of my business. They idea that people have to dress up to fly is a little bit obsolete. I dress comfortably. Whatever that means to me or to you, that's how you should dress.

I doubt if Dr Landrum took the pic. I am sure it was on the internet

drlandrum Silver

So true Jerry, one can find pics of any and everything they could want by simply googling pics and your topic.

drlandrum Silver

Photos from Google

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77,

On our Virgin Australia Flight to Sydney in Business Class we were given a nice set of pajamas and a majority of the individuals in Business Class (myself included) did change into the PJ's before trying to get some shut eye on the flight. On our United flight back to LA , also business class, we did not receive any PJ"s but did get receive a nicer amenity kit.

vaboywnder, that makes perfect sense, and especially (but not limited to) f/b products who's design offers a little more privacy.  Everyone is in the same "boat" in that circumstance.  Glad you had such a nice trip and were able to enjoy traveling in style and class.  Great going!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Unfortunately there's so little class in America now that people think it's a bad thing!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

OK, So remember when the fad was to wear your pants hanging halfway down AND backwards? LOL. Pajamas seem more sensible than that, as silly as this fad seems.

hydroventures Platinum

Welcome to America...Freedom means being free to look like you woke up and forgot to get dressed today!  I fly a lot.   I'm blessed to be an airline spouse.  I don't pay to fly, BUT I do have a written code of standards that I have to follow.  The airline tells me I have to dress appropriately in writing.  Too bad the rest of the passengers don't have to do the same.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Not many people can pull off the just rolled out of bed chillin' in a snuggie look.....but come next Xmas expect to see commercials for the AirSnuggie on TV. That's America.

caymangal Gold

I agree with you....and although I prefer to be comfortable while traveling, pajamas are reserved for family only!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The first time I see a woman getting on a plane wearing some nightwear from Frederick's of Hollywood that's when I will form an opinion on the matter as you know she won't be a size 10 or less!!   Otherwise it just doesn't matter that much to me, I just look at them and laugh wondering if they know what a mirror is or have ever looked in one.

Ever since I've been an old enough to buy my own airline ticket I travel in comfortable clothes which for me is going to be jeans, shirt for the weather I'm going to and airport easy shoes.  When I was working and had same day meetings I'd wear slacks, golf shirt and dress shoes.

And no, at the Houston TIPPLE in September you will find me in shorts, t-shirt or other LOUD shirt (tough to compete with brightlybob) and flip flops......just my comfy designer wardrobe.  If one looked in my closet you'd wonder why I don't wear all those clothes and probably should take them to the Goodwill.

hassmh Gold

Ever since I started working from home almost exclusively, my standard work-wear is t-shirt and jeans (shorts soon!) and my "indoor flip-flops" that my wife hates but keep my feet comfy and not sticky. For those rare fancy occasions I tap into my extensive golf shirt collection which takes up almost as much space on the rack as my wife's clothes! Too bad I don't have time to golf anymore, or they'd actually get some use! Maybe when the little ones get a little older, and I actually have time to sleep, I'll be able to find time to squeeze golf back in.

Back on topic, agree with the comfortable clothes on the airplane (jeans and t-shirt for me!), but sleepwear is going a little too far in my opinion. I assume these are mostly students or leisure travelers, rather than business people. Imagine if your checked bag was lost/delayed and those clothes are all you had for your meeting the next day!

Now that would create a problem . Personnally i think people should dress comfortable but pj's are a little over the top

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

IAHFLYR, too bad you are a UA guy because US Airways has a famous negligee-wearing specimen who is more than just an urban legend.  I am assuming said flyer is now an AA aficionado, so you might have to swing by DFW to catch a glimpse....

US Airways cross-dresser says he does it for fun - SFGate

I would absolutely hate to have to sit next to anyone who is wearing nothing more than what basically amounts to underwear or a bathing suit on an airplane, I don't care how they swing.  To me, that is disgusting, and in which case, if airlines are going to allow that, then they need to put disposable papers on the seats and seatbacks, just like what is done on examining beds in examining rooms at doctor's offices.  Yuck.  You know the seats don't get disinfected after every flight.  I cannot believe that US Airways would have allowed that, and I certainly hope that the "New American" does not.

pluto77, I know.  I find it hard to believe that US Air really allowed it, but who knows?  I've seen a lot of things at the airport but nothing quite like that! 

pluto77, at least the newer planes have vinyl seats that could possibly be wiped off with an antibacterial.  Those old school upholstered things must be a big germ fest.  I always make my kids fly with long pants on, and I do the same.  One of my kids is sensitive to plastics and once broke out in hives after her legs touched the vinyl seats on a flight.  And I saw bugs crawling around on a recent DL flight out of ATL.  Who knows what they were or where they came from.  UGH!

I Agree with you . Doubt the airlines have any criteria . .

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

After seeing this thing clebert I am very glad I fly UA!!  That is completely disgusting, but I'd bet it's time with the TSA was entertaining. 

I bet the TSA agents have some good stories.  I suppose there are a fair amount of cross-dressing folks who are not as obvious as the US Airway guy.  No judgment here, but it must be a bit of a challenge for TSA to figure out what's going on in some of these cases...

seatexan Platinum

I like to wear stretch legging pants on planes (not the sporting kind).  These are so versatile!

1. COMFORT

2. can be dressed up with heels and a scarf/wrap

3. dressed down but still cute in something like Toms

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't like it on a plane and I don't like it in the CL.  PJs are to be worn at home, mostly in bed!

do7aa Platinum

If you think about it .. you will be sitting in your chair for the who;e flight.

It is really comfortable sometimes if you are just wearing casual.

My point, I want to relax in my flight and whatever makes me relaxed, I will do it.

But, it is important that I change beofre landing.
    I don't want people to start looking at me and commenting about me and way I dress.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...