9 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2016 4:11 PM by zl3 RSS

Marriott Starwood Rewards Speculation

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We won't know if the deal is fully approved until at least April 8th, but why not have some fun speculating at what we'd like to see and how Marriott will combine these programs in the future!  I think Marriott will do right and incorporate the following:

1 to 3 Points Transfer:  Based on current Starwood redemption values, rate of earning points, etc...I think we'll see Marriott offer a favorable conversion.  SPG has a very loyal and different customer base than Marriott, and the high offer will help pull those loyalists over.

Suite Upgrades:  I know some of us get lucky with Marriott suite upgrades, but I think Starwoods clearer way to upgrades (or at least from what I've read, I always stay Marriott so I can't say for sure) will be incorporated.  What I'd really like to see is Marriott offer suite upgrades like airlines do with first class: Platinum has first dibs and those clear 72 hours in advance, all of which is displayed on your rewards page.  Next, Gold gets a run and has upgrades clear 24 hours in advance.

I'm bullish on what Marriott will do:)  What do you guys think and what would you really like to see?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Starwood Rewards Speculation
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Suspect we will not see any changes this year

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum

I'd have to agree with jerryl. These thing take time and I wouldn't expect to see anything happen until at least a year from the when the actual merger is completed

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have been in companies that were acquired twice . The acquiring company certainly at the beginning does want the acquired  company to feel important but in the end they want your resources more than your ideas. With that concept in mind i would expect the combined loyalty programs will look like marriott more than starwood. Also remember Marriott has had to substantially increase its price so cost reductions will be important so i dont expect the cost of the loyalty programs will increase. Also seeing the acquisition  of USAir , the  frequent flyer programs more closely mirrored the AA program

droma Platinum

I understand the amount of time that goes into integrating an acquisition after a buy, thought we may have some fun speculating about the combined program in the mean time since its hot news right now (especially leading up to April 8th)  What do you guys think the ultimate point conversion ratio will be?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

droma. I am planning a Fiji/Australia trip and thinking about cashing in both MR and SPG points as Marriott doesn't have any properties in Fiji or near Cairns.  This really hit home the difference in point value.  Beachfront resorts at Sheraton Denarau Fiji and Sheraton Port Douglas are available for 10,000 Star Points per night, whereas it takes 35,000 MR points per night at the Marriott Surfers Paradise resort!!!  I might just pay cash, though, as the USD is strong against the AUD right now.  Still might use points though as we are spending a small fortune on airfare!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is why the Starwood CC is so much more valuable than the Marriott's.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

But what is the relative cost of those points.  Comparing points from one company and another is like comparing apples and bicycles.

The real question is "what do I have to spend with each company to get a $*** room and how easy is it to get that room?".

homoviator Platinum

All points aren't created equal.  It feels like it takes way more work to earn SPG points to me.  I have to work hard for those.

If this merger comes through, if they don't give a 3 for 1 valuation for SPG, they will have some upset people on their hands, the very people they are trying not to upset. 

zl3 Gold

i am a member of both programs, one thing I really hope to happen is keeping  MR program mainly as is,  and adding starwood feature of accumulating points when visiting hotel facilities without staying.  I've earned what equivalent to 3 nights stay in w hotel, just by dining at my favorite restaurant, and catching happy hours in their lounges.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...