12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2016 7:07 AM by brightlybob RSS

Awarded w/ temporary gold elite. What's the easiest way to keep it?

edrattan Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I was awarded with temporary gold elite status that doesn't expire until the end of June 2016. In the fine print, it says I can maintain the gold through February 2018 if I stay at a Marriott 6 times before the temporary gold elite runs out. Then in an even finer print, it states that a stay is defined as consecutive nights stayed at the same hotel. Does this mean that in order for me to maintain the gold, I can't stay at one property for 3 nights, then a month later stay at another property for an additional 3 nights? It has to literally be at the same hotel for 6 nights straight? Lastly, would I be able to use my existing points to stay at the required 6 nights? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Awarded w/ temporary gold elite. What's the easiest way to keep it?
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have the same deal.  I think you will find that it is 6 separate paid stays, not 6 nights.  So you have to check in and check out 6 times.  I think that is a pretty fair deal in order to retain gold status for nearly 2 years.

And no, you wouldn't be able to stay 6 straight nights at one hotel to retain the gold status.  It has to be 6 stays.  Also, no, using points for rewards stays do not count either.  You must have 6 separate paid stays.  They can be for only one night each, but you must check in and out 6 times.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Correct, 6 separate paid stays. Point stays do not count. And the language regarding consecutive nights is referring to the practice of checking out after 1 night, then checking in again that night for a 2nd night at the same property; 2 consecutive nights at the same property will be considered a single stay. This prevents one from making a 6-night stay into 6 separate 1-night stays just by checking out and checking in again. If one was so inclined to do such a thing to meet this challenge, one would have to alternate between properties to avoid the consecutive night restriction.

I also have the same Taste of Gold promotion, but most likely will not meet it. Despite having at least 6 nights planned in the timeframe, I will not be splitting up my stays to meet the 6 stay requirement; it's inviting too much trouble with the beancounters who audit expense reports, even if the price differences are within corporate policy for each night.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi edrattan,

Both Tommo781 and hassmh are correct. Thanks for these answers you two!

homoviator Platinum

so think, 6 different hotels that after one night off you can repeat a previous hotel.   My husband and I sometime take a 4 or 5 day trip that includes a different hotel every night if I need it for a specific promotion that requires stays and not nights. It drives him crazy. But then when we get sweet upgrades and are taken care of so nicely he reminds me how awesome I am.  Think lots of weekend trips.  I can always find a reason to get away for a few days.  I stop one night on the way to the destination, usually on the outskirts of town, then the saturday night downtown before going home on sunday. easy 2 stays if I need them. 

Gold isn't easy to get, platinum even harder.  But after two years, if you find it hard to even get a challenge, it's going to be practically impossible to maintain gold all things being equal.  50 nights a year is serious work and it makes 6 nights in a window of a few weeks look pretty easy. I'm probably going to lose platinum this year, probably drop to gold.  It's not ideal, but not really a serious problem either.  I'm guessing I'll still get treated well.  Perhaps our paths will cross in the gold level.

hassmh Gold

To be honest, 50 nights is rather easy (at least for US members) if one is a bit patient and makes use of both the Marriott Rewards Card and rollover nights. For example, last year was my second year with the card. I had 15 rollover nights last year, and between card credits (15 annual credits + 1 credit/$3000 spend) and a number of stays I reached 48 nights (if point stays had counted, I would have broken 50). That left me with 23 rollover nights for this year, so once the 15 credits hit, and the annual birthday credit that's already 39 without actually making any stays. Getting the other 11 over the course of a year is pretty easy. Of course, once Gold is achieved, retaining it the following year becomes a challenge since rollover nights will be much lower. I assume that's the marketing strategy with rollover nights, similar to this Taste of Gold, to give a member the "taste" of the next level to provide incentive to stay more to retain it going forward.

jjett30169 Member

How did you obtain the gold elite status?

hassmh Gold

A number of formerly Silver Elite members on here have mentioned being given this Taste of Gold promotion recently. As mentioned, it's a promotion giving the member Gold Elite status for about 3 months, and if making 6 paid stays the member can keep that status for the remainder of the calendar year and all of the following year.

I expect that like the challenges, the Taste of x promotions allow only one level up; so one must already be a Silver Elite to get a Taste of Gold promotion. Your profile indicates you are currently just a member, so you would probably need to get to Silver Elite (only 10 nights) before being eligible for a Taste of Gold. I don't believe this is as commonly available as the challenges, which also require a number of stays in a ~3 month period but do not give the status until after completing the stays.

homoviator Platinum

Not sure who you are asking, but I realized that once I got the credit card, I was only 35 nights away from Gold.  With a little bit of focus, (see above post on 5 nights at 5 different hotels, I found myself there.  The same year I was gold, I think I also made Platinum but it might have been the next year.  One thing I found was that the credit card offered me a lot of extra points when I used it at Marriotts and with every 3000 you spend, another night.  I mostly used the credit card for just Marriott stays so it wasn't like I was putting up huge numbers on it.   so in hind sight: focus and the Marriott CC got me there, but if you don't travel quite a bit for work, I can't imagine getting to 35 by just vacationing.  Go Gold, Viva Platinum. 

alammari Platinum

I recieves the same offer, I'm traveling soon to London and booked with Marriott for 1 night ,  2 nights in Stockhlom and the end my trip in Marriott Vienna for 2 nights.

now based on my understanding this my upcoming bookings is considered as 3 stays and not 5 stays am I right? which means I need 3 more stays to complete the 6 night challenge.

am I right? Or do I need to stay 6 nights in one hotel under one booking to complete the 6 stays challenge just like someone mentioned ?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You are right. It is 3 stays. You'll need to make 3 more stays to complete the challenge. Those could be 1 night each or multiple nights. hassmh explained it well.

Essentially Marriott thinks that 6 separate stays over 3 months is a good approximation hat you'll reach 50 nights in a year (that's debatable), so they let you keep your Gold status for the rest of this year and all of next year. Making the required number of stays for these challenges is not easy. The first time I had one, I was unable to complete it. What is nice about this deal is that you get to try out the Gold level while working on the challenge.

Being that you'll be halfway to completion after your trip, I'd look into ways you might be able to squeeze in 3 more stays. Getting to be Gold for almost 2 years is a good incentive. If you aren't able to complete the extra stays, at least you will get Gold benefits on your upcoming trip. That's pretty good a by itself.

alammari Platinum

Thank u for the clarification bejaco.

I agree Gold status is worth having, I will find a way to do a 1 night stay at the Ritz where I live and a other in Marriott and until I complete my 6 stays challenge,

I have a Hhonors Gold status (upgraded from Silver), a silver with accorhotels  and silver with Marriott (recently upgraded for the 3 months/6 stays challenge) I can probably achieve Gold status or even maybe platinum status if I stick only with Marriott, Marriott tends to be a little more expensive compared to other loyalty programs based on my experienc, there were times when I couldn't find a convenient hotel with a decent location which made me choose a different hotel, or sometimes the prices are so high that it makes no sense not to book a Hilton, Sofitel or a Novotel where it's way cheaper and is centraly located.

another reason why Marriott is a difficult choice for me is, i can transfer my points or miles from my credit cards (Amex and Citi premium miles) I recently got an offer to transfer my miles to Hilton Honors, 1 mile = 4 Hhonors point, I transferred 26000 which gave me around 105000 points, and no I can apply for a Marriott visa coz I don't live in neither Canada not the U.S.

Nevertheless I have always liked Marriott a little bit better compared to others, keeping a Gold status for 2 years is definitely worth is and will find a way to complete another 3 stays even if it's a 1 night here and there till I complete the challenge.

again Thank u.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I completely concur with bejacob here.

Gold is of very little value to those who stay at part service hotels such as Courtyards, Fairfield or Residence Inns, since they don't have lounges and provide free breakfasts to all (except Courtyard which provides free breakfast to none) but much more useful at the full service Marriott, Renaissance, JW and Delta.

Living as you do in Bahrain virtually all the Marriotrs in the middle east are full service and for medium distance flights Europe or China, again mostly full service where the free lounge access and breakfasts make Gold the real status to have, so we'll worthwhile to find that couple of extra stats so you can secure the status to Feb 2018!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...