18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2016 12:19 PM by carat RSS

What Is Your Favourite Travel Destination In The World?

jamesrobertson Member
Currently Being Moderated

Whats your favourite ? :)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: What Is Your Favourite Travel Destination In The World?
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm fairly well traveled, but Paris is still my fav.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have to agree about Paris, although the coast of Maine is way up there!

I have eaten so many wonderful things in Paris, but none of them were as good as a just caught Maine Lobster cooked next to the ocean where it was swimming until I selected it!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

jamesrobertson, I could not possibly choose just one!   Upcoming fun (not work-related) trips we are currently planning are:  Fiji; Sydney/Cairns/Brisbane; Honolulu; Hong Kong; and London/Paris.  So I guess those are our current favorites.  

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

As has already been mentioned, it is difficult to choose a single favorite destination. However if required to make a decision, I would choose to revisit Vienna, Austria.

NeoTrinity Platinum

I have been to most of Europe, some places like all corners of France (alps, Orleans, Reims, Lille, Paris, Bretagne, Normandy), Germany (Cologne, Heidelberg many names I forgot), UK (bottom to top), Many places multiple times. Mexico beaches etc, The Pacific and south Pacific, and all the other standard places. I have been traveling for business since I was in my 20's, I am now in my mid 50's and I live in a little town North of San Diego and I have to say that my favorite place to travel to is to come home to my little town of Fallbrook, California. I call it "The sticks, not too far away"; its 15 minutes to the beach (Carlsbad/Oceanside), 45 minutes to the dessert (Borego Springs), 45 minutes to San Diego proper, and 2 hours to the snow (Big Bear). I thank G-d for this place.. OK... but outside of here, I would say Bretagne (Brittany) & Normandy.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I was just in Carlsbad on Sunday, to run the Carlsbad 5000 with my mom and sis.  It's the fastest 5K in the world.  It was also fun to see top Olympians from Ethiopia, Kenya and Nederland complete, along with wheelchair champion James Senbeta.  We had so much fun, we decided to make it a standing tradition.  Already signed up for next year.

My parents want me to move there.  When I tell them I can never afford to live there and still travel, they remind me that, 'When you live in Paradise, there's no need to leave.'  They're right about one thing... It is Paradise (at least to me.)  I can tell you for a fact, whenever I go down there, I truly don't want to leave.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Travel is an enriching experience and there is no place so wonderful that I would never want to get away.  I can't imagine ever feeling that "there's no need to leave."

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

My dad was really just joking, but there is an element of truth to it, though you'd have to be privy to my personal situation to understand it.  My parents lived (past tense as my dad passed in 2014) a very happy life together in Cbad and for obvious reasons.  They did their fair share of traveling within the US and Canada, according to their desires.  When I say I don't want to leave when I'm down there, what I mean is, I don't want to go home, not - I don't want to travel.

Nothing except bad health could ever keep me from traveling.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

My favorite destination after I have been traveling (both business and pleasure) is the the comfort of my own bed!!!!

From a location perspective my wife and I have found the Caribbean our favorite destination to escape the Winter Blues.  St. Thomas and Scrub Island have been our destination the past 4 years and absolutely love it!!!!

peymanagement Platinum

I love London. But the place that I go back to over and over again is Vienna.

In North America, my favorite place is Quebec City.

The favorite resort type place that I have been to was Ipanema Brazil.

fistuk Platinum

Reading this discussion is very interesting!

It appears most of the people (if not all of them) will never choose a place in their own country as their favourite one, but always somewhere abroad:

Most of the Americans here chose a place in Europe. Other places mentioned are the Caribbean's, Africa and Mexico.

Very interesting to see that Hawaii, for instance, was not even mentioned by any American despite being one of the most attractive places on the globe.

As a European resident I would probably state Hawaii as one of my top favourites, but won't think of naming a European city. Besides, I haven't been to the east side of the globe, yet, so I guess once I'm there I can definitely name a few more places.

I realize that this phenomenon of people naming places abroad only has something to do with the reachability of the place:

If it's within your convenient reach and you can easily go back many times than you won't mention it. However, if it's not within an easy reach and you can only dream of going back sometime - that makes it unique for you and the main reason for you to name it here.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

that is a very good point . I live in Az but would never think of the Grand Canyon . I guess I would say Rome or Paris but since I am heading to Hawaii this month I will adhere to the Crosby Stills and Nash song " if you can't be with the one you love love the one you are with" so Hawaii

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

fistuk, I agree that you make a very good point!  I am an American and have Hawaii on my list, but I cheated and listed more than one favorite.  Having said that, as an American, I resisted Hawaii as a top travel destination for many years.  I had some sort of unconscious bias against it along with Mexico and the Caribbean because I thought those places were for really unimaginative people and, quite frankly, I got sick of hearing about everyone and their dog going there. I got this vision that those places were boring and common.  I was mistaken, and I've changed my tune as I got older, and I now appreciate just about anywhere.  I just love to travel.  Anyone who's read my posts also knows that I love Southwest Florida, but since I have a second home there I didn't list it because I am a part-time resident there. 

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I would have mentioned Hawaii but I am there 3 times per year on business (my average time on the island is usually 2 days)!!!  At some point Inintend to go for 2 weeks on vacation vs business and bring the wife!!!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

So far, probably Prague and Brugge.

Who knows if the next trip will change that!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I've waited almost 2 weeks to answer this question trying to make up my mind which destination in the world is my favorite.  Based on how many visits we have made to a destination is how I finally decided my top 3 destinations.

USA (mainland)- Washington D.C. (Museums)

USA (non-mainland)- Maui (Whales)

Europe-The Netherlands (Bicycling)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great thread, jamesrobertson!  My favorite destinations are the ones I haven't visited yet. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...