4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2016 8:29 PM by clebert RSS

3 nights at Essex House in NY on points. Will I be bummed or delighted?

homoviator Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I made a 3 night reservation with points to go to Essex house.  I've actually never been to NY except for a brief trip. My friend is mostly wanting to go for some Broadway shows, which is fine with me. I want to be delighted with my hotel pick even with points. I don't expect an upgrade, but maybe a view of some treetops of Central Park would be nice.  I mostly want to walk to Broadway or take a cab and be able to enjoy some drinks in the lobby and return to a nice room.   What do you think, have I made the right choice? Other hotel suggestions would also be welcomed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: 3 nights at Essex House in NY on points. Will I be bummed or delighted?
    guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Loved our stay at this hotel, great CL. Although the rooms could use some updating the linens,towels, robes were all top notch. Being across the street from Central Park was lovely. The walk down to Broadway is doable and it is only a short cab ride if walking is not an option.  Lots of shopping within walking distance.

we also stayed on points and were greeted with champagne and dessert on arrival.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

The main thing I have consistently read about when it comes to reviews of this hotel is that it is in a great location but needs some updating as Guidedog613 said.  The second thing is that there is no coffee or tea maker in the room GASP! (to me, this is important...for the tea!).

I am visiting NY soon too . Quite excited!  But I am staying at the Courtyard Herald Square.  I don't often stay at Courtyards but the location looked to be wonderful with the subway RIGHT out side the door and they offered a larger room option.  Oh and a coffee/tea maker in the room.

Marriott has so many wonderful options in NY is really hard to pick one.  If you do stick with the Essex House, let us know how it was!  It's hard to go wrong with a view of Central Park.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I've never stayed at the Essex House, but I've heard great things from other Insiders! The insights that Guidedog613 and SeaTexan shared are also great.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

homoviator, I love the Essex House.  It is one of my favorite Marriot branded properties and of any hotel brand.  Guidedog613 is correct about the rooms and CL.  The CL is fantastic.  You can eat full meals there.  The evening offerings are really substantial, and the service is exceptional.  The attendants recognized me from day to day.  One attendant asked if there was anything I needed the first time I went in there, and I asked for peanut butter for my morning toast.  He got me some, and the next morning when I returned, he saw me and went to get some peanut butter and brought it to me without me asking.  It was impressive.  There are also drinks of all types and snacks throughout the day, including chips, fruit, etc.  There definitely is NOT a coffeemaker in the room which is not unusual in NY.  I brought a tiny one-cup coffeemaker that cost me $14.99 at Target, and it worked just fine.  I actually stuck it in my carryon bags and had no problem.  Don't expect a Central Park view.  Those rooms go for a premium, and you'd have to get really substantial upgrade if you've booked a less expensive room.  I'm platinum and have never gotten a Central Park view when I've booked a lower priced room.  The upside of that is noise.  If you get an interior room (the cheapest available which is what I usually book), it can actually be a huge plus as it is much quieter.  Walking down to Times Square/theater district is a quick easy walk.  Carnegie Deli is nearby but has very long lines.  The lobby is beautiful and seems to attract some interesting (in a good way) NY characters.  My favorite thing about the Essex House is the gift shop.  It's the size of a closet with every spare inch of space crammed full of typical gift shop fare, and the attendant sits inside in a tiny chair.  It is something that really reminds you you're in NY where space is at a premium at one of the oldest most iconic hotels in the city.     

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...