11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2016 1:49 PM by tommo781 RSS

I want to see the eaglets!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We love to visit Washington D. C. and return to old favorites as well as finding something new to see on each trip.  The birth of 2 eaglets recently at the National Arboretum is yet another reason to return to Washington D. C. If you happened to miss the birth announcements, you can visit eagles.org and see live pictures of the eaglets named DC2 and DC3.  The parents are Mr. President and The First Lady.  The parents raised their first eaglet, named DC1, last spring.  According to the American Eagle Foundation, DC1 left the area.  Visitors are not permitted to view the nest up close; however, I've read that visitors can possibly see the parents as they fly around the area.

We were thrilled to see young eagles who were about to fly for the first time when we visited Victoria, British Columbia in 2011.  We were lucky to spot photographers with GREAT BIG lens aimed at a nest high in a tree.  We spent several hours watching the eagle family and returned early the next morning hoping to see their first flights.  When we returned to Victoria in 2015, we rented a car for the day just to return to the area, but the nest appeared to be vacant.  We did view eagles at another nest, but did not have the same experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour
  • Re: I want to see the eaglets!

This is a page showing pictures of the eagles that we included in our picture book.  The picture on the bottom right shows one of the eagles calling to its' mate.  The picture on the bottom right shows the 2 young eagles (I think they are called fledgings) preparing to take their first flight.

(I promise that I did not turn sideways to take this picture of the book.  I'll try to figure out how to correct it .)

eagles.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I fixed it!  But now I have no way to edit the sideways picture.

eagles.jpg

KatieC Member

I had not seen this eagle cam.  Thanks so much for the link.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

razorbackfan BC has a number of cams following Eagles nests I in different parts of the province. They are quite riveting and addictive. Some wonderful stories have come about as a result of our fascination with this species of raptor.  Last summer the female of a nesting pair was killed when she hit wires while fleeing some crows, the male had to raise the eaglets on his own and did a remarkable job.  Watching the eagles during a salmon run is something that is not soon forgotten and a good reason to visit Canada's west coast.

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/?topic=cam-sites

Guidedog613  These cams are really addictive.  I think my husband probably regrets sharing the website with me...not really, he enjoys seeing the eaglets, too.  He really enjoys it when they are grown and soaring through the air.  He wants to go back to Alaska at the end of the salmon run when all the eagles congregate.  I'll have to find out more information about where they congregate in Canada since that would probably be easier for us to get to. Now, if I could find a whale cam and a hog cam .

When you were in Victoria, did you go out whale watching?  Going out in a Zodiac with a small group is an awesome experience,there are residents Killer whale pods in the straits and waterways around Vancouver Island and having these magnificent creatures sidle up to your boat is an adventure in itself.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Two eggs in the nest that Dad has just left and Mom has come to incubate. This is called the Delta 2 nest. The above website also has all the nest cams in the USA, pretty amazing.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Whoa! The eagle cam is amazing! Thanks for sharing, KatieC.

DC2 is 5 weeks old today and it is amazing how much the eaglet has grown.  DC3 will be 5 weeks old on Sunday.  You can follow their development through webcams found at eagles.org.  Links are provided to other webcams as well.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Sorry my dear US fellow Insiders.    I only just picked up on this thread.  I do hope you enjoy this tale, which is absolutely true.

In 2005 we went on an Antarctic voyage (wonderful - the trip of a lifetime).  We had naturalists on board, one of whom was Chris Wilson, the Great Nephew of Edward Wilson who died with Captain Scott on his ill fated Antarctic Expedition in 1912.  Chris was wonderful, gave lectures, and at all other times was on deck to talk to passengers and answer questions.

At a certain point in our cruise, Chris announced that as we were so far south, the only birds we would see in the sky were Kelp Gulls.  So from that point on we could all be Antarctic bird experts, as there would only be kelp gulls or penguins.

So we got further south.  We saw a bird in the sky.  One of our US friends suddenly said (very loudly) "Is that a bald eagle?"  Chris responded, but very, very loudly "No it is a KELP GULL."

Anyway, unfortunately for all of you, Insiders has hit on the Tommo's speciality.  Ornithology.

I am about to start a UK equivalent thread of this one.  I do hope you all appreciate the similarities.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...