20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2016 10:46 AM by muppetwrangler RSS

Adventures in Washington, D.C.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone!

I recently returned from a weekend trip to Washington, D.C. and thought I’d share the wonderful time I had with you all. I was already in the area visiting with the rest of the moderation team (see NathalieF's recent post) so I extended my trip and spent the weekend doing a solo adventure in the city.

I’m a huge history buff so exploring the National Mall and museums makes for a perfect weekend!

Since this was a short trip, and the National Mall is huge, I needed to find the best way to get around quickly so that I could see as much as possible. Prior to the trip, I had told my mom that I really wanted to rent a bike. This was right before Jonas hit, so I got laughed at for the idea. But, I was pleasantly surprise to arrive and find no snow, blue skies, and the perfect weather for bike riding! Here’s my proof!

DC1.jpg

It was glorious. Saturday morning I woke up early, hopped on my bike, and rode around to all the memorials until the museums opened at 10.

I spent most of my time in the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History and National Museum of American History. The last time I was in D.C. and in these museums I was in fifth grade, so I had forgotten how truly amazing these museums are. The amount of artifacts, history and information they hold is absolutely incredible. A few highlights:

• Abe Lincoln’s top hat
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Julia Child’s Kitchen
  • Giant crystals three times the size of myself
  • Meteorites
  • A giant squid
  • …the list goes on and on

I was also able to do quick run-throughs (and we’re talking quick) through the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum, the National Museum of the American Indian, the National Gallery of Art and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Like I said before, I was determined to get in as much as possible. I think I did a pretty good job! The bike definitely helped, because in most places they were putting in new grass in the middle of the lawn, so there was no cutting across. You had to loop all the way around on the sidewalks.

My flight on Sunday wasn’t until 5:30 p.m., so I got almost another full day to spend exploring. I decided to head South East of the National Mall to the Capital Hill neighborhood to get breakfast and check out the famous Eastern Market. The neighborhood is adorable and reminds me a little bit of my neighborhood in Portland, OR. All the houses are painted different colors and there’s funky exterior décor like piano key staircases and giant paper maché statues in the front yards.

No day for me begins without coffee, so I stopped for breakfast at a cute café called Le Pain Quotidien, where I got coffee and the most delicious avocado toast ever! For you avocado lovers out there, this is for you - Avocado on avocado on avocado!

DC2.jpg 

Next was the Eastern market for local arts, crafts and food. The building is awesome. It was built in the 1800’s and has served as a community center ever since.

On my way back into the National Mall and I stumbled upon another highlight of the trip – The United States Botanic Garden! Gardening is one of my favorite pastimes and I love learning about different types of plants, so this was a treasure trove of a find. The gardens are broken up into sections by climate type (tropics, desert, etc.) and I spent two hours or so walking around looking at everything and learning about plants I had never heard of before.

It was a little difficult getting a decent photo of the place since there was so much going on, but here’s a look into the tropics section. It was very warm and humid!

DC3.jpg

I could have spent all day there, but alas, I had to return to the hotel and get ready for the trip home. I was actually a little late heading to the airport because of how much time I spent in the gardens, but I used Marriott Mobile App’s check-out feature, which allowed me to leave my keys in the room and head out the door when I was ready. The app is great for quick check-ins also. Definitely recommend using it!

Overall, my time in D.C. was amazing and I look forward to more extended weekend trips like this. For those who have visited Washington, D.C., what are your favorite places to visit and explore?

Thanks for reading!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, DC, Maryland, USA
  • Re: Adventures in Washington, D.C.
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great write up lindseyh! I'm with you, the last time I was in D.C. was in grammar school and didn't appreciate the history as much as I would now.  Thanks for making my bucket list longer!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

lindseyh,

Wow, what a tremendous weekend you had!  You really covered a lot of ground, and using the bike was absolutely brilliant!  I'll have to remember that.  I love the pictures and am happy for you that you enjoyed such fine weather.  Can't believe how much you saw, even though as you mentioned, some of your stops were brief.  I find that the best time of the day to be out and about in West Potomac Park and Constitution Gardens is in the very early morning, when you almost have it all to yourself.  Sounds like you did the very thing.  If you love history, do the ranger talks sometime.  They're free, and they provide an amazing amount of fascinating history surrounding the monuments.

I love Eastern Market too.  The avocado toast looks so yummy!  You can't go wrong with a Le Pain Quotidien.  There is also a fabulous bakery on the corner of 8th & G St. called Springmill Bread Co. (there's also one in Bethesda and Arlington).  I've taken to heading over on my last day and picking up a loaf of Seven Grain Crunch and taking it home with me on the plane.

I have never been to the Botanical Gardens or the Holocaust Museum.  I hope to rectify this deficit in October.  The Botanical Gardens look and sound fantastic.  Last year, I visited the Kew Royal Botanical Gardens in the UK, and it was also really fantastic.  In August, I plan on attending a performance of the "Sunset Parade" at Marine Barracks 8th & I (not far from Eastern Market) by the U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Team and also will visit Mt. Vernon for the first time.  So, so much to do and see in DC.  One can hardly ever see it all.

As for my favorites, that's so tough because there's so much cool stuff.  As I visit more attractions, my opinions will likely change, but I really do love a few things.  ANC.  Never tire of visiting there, and of course love the Marine Corps War Memorial there (in the summertime on Tuesdays at sunset, you can enjoy a live performance of the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps.  Ridiculously amazing.)  I have to say, I really enjoyed a recent tour of the Supreme Court and also a tour of - surprise - the U.S. Capitol building.  These are not the tours that are arranged through the visitor center of these institutions, but tours that were arranged through my U.S. congressional representatives office in advance.  The one's arranged through your congressperson's office are much better, in my opinion, because the groups are smaller and the information is better.  Anyway, I was much more impressed with the Capitol building tour than I ever expected.  I also loved visiting the National Cathedral (while there, dine at 2 Amy's for brilliant pizza).  The docents are extremely knowledgeable.  From The Mayflower Autograph Collection, just hop on the N4 bus (15 minutes).  For Air and Space, we really loved the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum (another Smithsonian) out at Dulles Airport.  We liked it even better than the one on the National Mall.  Food.  Ris for their amazing Portuguese Stew (tell them rinny54 sent you), Founding Farmers, 1789 for a special occasion, Boss Shepherd's (be sure to have a Gin Rickey, DC's signature cocktail made with Green Hat Gin).  I had a drink last year at the Hay-Adams.  It was just cool.  The drinks were very expensive, but they came with the most delightful nibblies.

I always get fired up when someone mentions Washington DC.  It's my U.S. Paris.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Another restaurant recommendation would be Zaytinya.  A great small plates  spot featuring Greek and Turkish specialties along with some other middle eastern creations.  Mid priced place by Jose Andreas, one of DC's leading chefs.  It's on the noisy side, but otherwise great.  Near Chinatown, and right on the Metro.  If you go don't order all your choices at once, but order a one or two plates per person, and then a few more when the first ones arrive.  Otherwise everything will arrive close together and some food will be cold before you get to eat it.

I will tell my cousin about it. She lives in Capitol Hill area and is sort of a foodie.

I will remember this place for next time, phctourist! Thanks for sharing!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks pluto77 for the Ris plug! Everyone....this is a great restaurant!  Of course, the Chef/Owner is my sister

I've been getting fired up whenever someone brings it up too! There there are SO many amazing things to check out.

Yes, please visit the Botanical Gardens in August. You will not be disappointed!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Glad you had a nice trip....

Le Pan Quotidian is a chain - Le Pain Quotidien - Bakery & Communal Table - there's a fair number of them these days....

ssindc  I like Le Pan Quotidian, but I have been a bit disappointed with them in the US.  They offer better quality control and better service in Europe than they do in the US.

By contrast, Paul, a French chain of bakeries that serves sandwiches, and other lunch type items, really hits the mark in their US operations.  Eating there is like eating at their Paris locations.  Their breads are outstanding and their lemon tart is amazing!

I found Le Pain to be both healthy and reasonably priced.  Refreshing.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

PPaul was a favorite of ours when we were in Paris and were thrilled to find them in DC on our last trip...YUM

Indeed, phctourist, Paul is an interesting option.  There's one near my office, and it's pretty popular.  Just comparing the two, my general reactions are that:

• while both are casual, LPQ has a wait staff, while Paul is line service;
        • if you like French macaroons, Paul is your place;
        • more selection - a broader range of options at LPQ;
        • for crafty breads and peanut (and other nut) butters and Nutella-like products and jellies, LPQ is your place;
        • the big communal table at LPQ isn't my thing - I'm sure it's because I'm too old to "get it";
        • LPQ can get pricey (quickly) - and that's before you add 15-20 percent for a tip, which always surprises me given the casual feel;
        • my spouse (greatly) prefers LPQ, so we end up there more often.

More broadly, in DC, we've been enjoying a number of other good quick eats/fast food chains - my favorites (all within walking distance from the office) include:

• Roti - assembly line Mediterranean;
        • Bonmi - Vietnamese sandwiches and noodles
        • Protein Bar - a personal favorite
        • Chop't and Sweet Green - good salad shops
        • we just got Wow Bow at the airport - we fell in love with Wow Bow in Chicago!!!

And that's just the tip of the iceberg....

At the other end of the spectrum, last week, we returned to Marcel's - Washington DC French Belgian Restaurant | Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - died and gone to heaven.  Too expensive to be a regular haunt, but ... oh, my ... it's so good!!!

Tonight we'll be dining with my mother-in-law at one of our newish Northern Virginia Favorites - Trio Grill | Falls Church - there are lots of good options in/around Merrifield and the Mosaic, and we find ourselves eating there more and more frequently....

You are making me jealous of all of your excellent local dining options. I would perhaps dine out more at home if it were so here.  Alas, I save it for travel and look forward to it. 

PPaul has an upstairs full service operation at their location on Avenue de l'Opera in the 2nd.  It's delightful.  I was actually a bit bummed when I realized that they had franchised here in the states. Just not the same.

Trio Grill is not far from me.  Never tried it.  Tell me  about it!

Thanks

Sorry, lindseyh, if we're drifting off thread, but - in response to phctourist, a few words on Trio Grill (at Merrifield).

• funny spot/facility - they share space (and, I think, the kitchen and ownership) with Open Road - the roadhouse; but, once you're inside, you won't notice it;
            • surprisingly comfortable and modern - art deco - inside - never would expect it from the road....
            • not too loud like some of the popular places downtown (Blue Duck, Founding Farmers, District Commons), which we appreciate;
            • when it warms up, the outside tables are splendid - the deck looks a little weird, because it abuts the parking lot, but try it - it's nice, even when it's hot (because of the ceiling fans);
            • if wine is your thing, they have a large, eclectic list spanning quite a range of regions and prices - bottles from $30 to $300+;
            • my cousin says the bar is excellent, but I'm no expert - sorry no help there;
            • however they're serving the tuna tartare or the beef carpacio, try it! - creative presentation and YUMMY;
            • if you like shrimp and grits, go for it here!!!
            • the scallops are also a family favorite...
            • my son loves the steak;
            • my boys love the bread basket and the fresh butter (alas, I don't eat bread, so I can't confirm);
            • if my boys are eating the triple chocolate cake for dessert, keep your fingers away from their plate.... it's a little scary;
            • we've had attentive (yet patient) service - we've gone with friends and relatives and sat there for a long time, and we've never been rushed; and
            • I can't speak to the cigar bar - it's not my thing - haven't smoke a cigar for probably 30 years...

p.s. we also love True Food nearby in the Mosaic, but that's a chain (albeit an excellent chain).

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ssindc,

Thanks for the info on Trio.  I've driven past it many times and was curious if the food was any good.  So many good places to eat in NoVa!

superchief1 Platinum

Thanks for the wonderful review. We have been planning a trip to DC for awhile, but the addition of the Mayflower to the MVC portfolio enables us to now use our already committed timeshare investment for the trip.  We are considering taking the train from historical Cincinnati Union terminal, doing a 3 night stay at Williamsburg followed by 3-4 nights at the Mayflower.

I'll actually be at the Galyord Conference Center near DC in a few weeks, but likely won't have any time to visit the city. Although I'm disappointed that there aren't any benefits for MR platinums at Gaylord, I look forward to the conference.

j&c Platinum

Visiting DC in May for our annual trip. Discussing w/J this morning and agreed that our main goals are to walk everywhere, see everything and eat crab! Staying at Key Bridge Marriott for the first time and planning at least 1 visit to Quarterdeck in Arlington. C

edrowell Gold

Great review! Since my daughter moved there 3+ years ago, we've been able to see most of the sites. As noted, most are free, but the Spy Museum is worth paid admission!
    I hit the Cherry blossom in full bloom on Easter weekend, also spring break...the perfect storm for crowds. It was worth it though.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm lucky to live a few hours away from DC.  It's the perfect destination for a weekend getaway!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...