6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2010 6:49 AM by lesliepamel RSS

Timeshare exchange for Reward Points

lesliepamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As MVCI has never inflation-proofed the number of points a member receives for trading a weeks timeshare for points - that is you get the same number of points today as you did in 1986 - It might be reasonable to assume that fewer owners are trading for points. Incidentally the only thing in relation to the points exchange is that Marriott now charges $100 for the exchange instead of $24 !! 

With my personal research into this situation, I am trying to ascertain two pieces of information. One is: How many owners traded for points in each year from 2006 to 2010? and 2. What was the total number of weeks they exchanged in each and every year? Once again for years 2006 - 2010.

I asked these questions of an MVCI office, and I was told that this information was propreitory! Surely this cannot be so? The information is valid to all members to check whether all other owners view such a trade as good or bad value.

Interval International - the exchange company - publishes every thing about the number of exchanges, the best times, and also the success rate. That is all good information to help an I.I member select an exchange suitable to them. i.e. Go for a quick exchange ( Little demand) or be prepared to wait for the most in demand resorts/times.

If anyone knows where I might obtain this information from MVCI, I would be pleased to hear from them.     

• Re: Timeshare exchange for Reward Points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Good questions. It would be quite remarkable to find the answers in a MVC FAQ.  Like Guest Satisfaction Scores, I do not expect MVC to disclose this information.  Competitors like Hilton Grand Vacations would use it to their advantage.

"How many owners traded for points in each year from 2006 to 2010?"

Leading up to and during the 25th Anniversary year, 2009, Marriott Vacation Club Sales presented a new sales incentive: Convert EOY weeks to EY.  For those who may not know what that means, many MVC weeks were initially sold with the trade-for-points option on an Every-Other-Year (EOY) basis.  Some resorts like Custom House and Grande Chateau in Las Vegas are sold with the trade-for-points option Every-Year (EY).  Weeks with the EY option are more expensive.  Despite the premium, EY weeks are extremely popular.  My hunch is that the percentage of owners that traded for points over that period steeply declined.

"What was the total number of weeks they exchanged in each and every year?"

Given the difference between EOY and EY and the weeks owned across 50 properties and 400,000 plus owners, my hunch is that the total number each year will rise and fall in a cyclical manner.  Given higher than expected occupancy at domestic MVC properties in 2009, it is my hunch that US owners with properties outside of the US probably exchanged for domestic stays rather than trade for points to maximize the value of vacation ownership in a tough economy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chiquita Gold
    As a newcomer to the timeshare world, I have yet to find the joy in it. The perks that I was offered at the time I signed my contract last Spring have now disappeared and I'm finding owning my week in this new location costing more than I would usually spend on my yearly vacations. What benefit have others found to owning timeshares with Marriott?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lesliepamel Platinum

Chiquita, Sorry mate, but since Marriott devalued the Reward points scales, and failed to inflation-proof the number of points traded for a week of timeshare - MVCI now has absolutely no vacation value.

For 24 years I was so pleased with my Marriott timeshare, it provide great excellent value vacations, but these last eighteen months have been awful! Whichever way I deal I can see no value in any MVCI vacation.

After that reply you might feel like selling out, all I can say is don't do that yet.Because if Marriott is half the company it used to be, it might just turn around and start to show respect to all those thousands of families who trusted them and invested so much money with them. I'm giving them another two years, and if they don't improve then I'm out! 

lesliepamel Platinum

Outside of 'Insiders' I correspond with several owners - all are disillusioned with Marriott timeshare. However one came up with a great - if unintended- sentence that perfectly shows MVCI to be what it is today...............

"I chose the points option, not because it was the most attractive, but because it was the least unattractive choice."

If only I could frame that and display it in every sales presentation room for prospects to read !

WOW!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"As a newcomer to the timeshare world, I have yet to find the joy in it. The perks that I was offered at the time I signed my contract last Spring have now disappeared and I'm finding owning my week in this new location costing more than I would usually spend on my yearly vacations. What benefit have others found to owning timeshares with Marriott?"

Chiquita

First of all, welcome to Insiders and thanks for posting.  My wife and I are multiple-week timeshare owners with Marriott Vacation Club since 1994. 

As a counterpoint to other opinions, we are enthusiastic about timeshare and thoroughly enjoy being owners. Vacation ownership works for us.  We have learned how to maximize the value and learned the ins-and-outs of the usage options. With multiple-weeks, we do it all.  We stay at our home resort every year, we trade-for-points and we deposit into Interval International to exchange for other MVC resorts.

In addition to two weeks spent at our home resort, Marriott's Imperial Palms in Orlando this past year, we exchanged into Desert Springs Villas I and II over the July 4th holiday. 

We used points for long weekend getaways at Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea, New Castle, NH (Courtyard on the Boardwalk at Ocean City, MD (Labor Day) and Marriott's TownePlace Suites, Lake Winnepesauke, NH (Columbus Day) among many, many other Marriott brands throughout New England.

In short, as exhausting as it sounds, we love to travel and Marriott Vacation Club is part of our solution.  Quite often we will combine points with paid stays in order to enjoy complimentary upgrades given for Elite status.  When convenient, we are among the 88% who extend business travel for leisure

lesliepamel Platinum

Hey, I've just checked the historic costs of my Marriott timeshare, and I realised that back in 1987 I could change my week for points at an administration cost of $35 (for a 110,000 points)

To perform the same trade today I have to pay $129 for the same number of points. That's a mark-up of 3.69. I recognise that Marriott doesn't have a direct correllation between these two values, but if such a link existed, then the points I am awarded should equal 405,900. Now with that points level I could start acheiving the vacations that I enjoyed in 1987 -1997. Exactly the vacations that the Marriott salesman promised. Poor man, I now view him as a slaazy snake oil dealer who told me nothing but lies-and it's not really his fault- Bill Marriott has to take the blame for that.

I also looked at my first maintenance payment, and it was $422. that payment currently stands at $1035. A mark-up of 2.45.

TJC   I love the way you describe your vacation experience, and I recognise exactly what you are describing, because that is everything my wife and I  enjoyed for our first 10 years of membership. A time when I was an unofficial ambassador for Marriott. I recommended Marriott to many people, but I now feel embarrassed for the mess they have inherited from me. They don't talk to me anymore - so forget Friendshare!

In the last three years MVCI vacations have abolutely no value, and do not provide the value vacation experiences they promised.

Just think of this....I used to enjoy  vacations in multiples of 7 nights. Apart from a crooked valueless travel package, I cannot achieve that today. Instead of 3 x 7 =21 nights, I have to take 4x 4 nights = 16 and then add the 4 bonus nights which equals 20 nights. This package would cost be 480,000 points. This number of points can only be obtained by trading 5 weeks of timeshare ownership (110,000 x 5 =550,000 . For trading for these points I would have to pay $129 x 5 = $645. I estimate that this fee is equal to about 5 nights in a Marriott hotel (at $129 a night) or maybe 4 nights at  $161 a night.) This means that for my 20 nights on points I have paid for the first (let's say) 4 nights. At $161 a night the other 16 nights could cost me $2576, and this is the value of my points award. The maintenance for 5 weeks of timeshare is equal to $1035 x 5 which equals $5175 for a vacation valued at $2576!! Enough said.

Except to say, (This gets worse) do not forget the capital. Capital at $13200 - 5 weeks equals $66,000. Which spread over 25 years equals $2640 per year. So a 20 night vacation on points is valued at $2576 (I paid the first 4 nights with my exchange for points administration fee) This vacation costs me with a maintenance fee of $1035 x 5 = $5175 + $2640 (capital apportionment) = $7815

TJ, I really loved the original MVCI vacations, they were value for money, and looked as if as when time went by things could only get better. However Marriott's blank refusal to inflation-proof the points given in exchange for timeshare has really ruined the dream, that they so actively used trade for points to sell. 

MVCI readers .... Don't use points...Don't allow yourself to be ripped off by the meanest timeshare/hotel company in existance!!  And forget the Reward points affinity credit cards as well.  

I wonder if anyone working with MVCI cpould challenge my view on points value ????   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...