5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2016 3:08 PM by jerryl RSS

Not loving the new mega bonus format

bobbydacron Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I've  always done and enjoyed the mega bonus rewards but my fave rave MRrewards peeps I'm not in love with this new two tiered MB approach. Please, please please Marriott go back to the old format. I'd rather 10k points than trying to figure out which categor 1-5 I could stay in. I'm platinum premier , and life time platinum , and you guys treat me really well but I'm just not loving this new spring mega bonus (especially because I actually had to call because it didnt show up on my online account)

so am I alone on this, or is everyone cool with the new format ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Not loving the new mega bonus format
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I give Marriott credit for trying. For the less-frequent leisure traveler, getting to 15+ nights during a MegaBonus is a challenge. With the 2 stay requirement to earn a free night certificate, almost everyone gets something.

I agree that for folks who will stay 25-30 nights, this promotion is far less valuable than previous ones. I mentioned on a separate post, that by trying combine parts of different pass bonuses (either 2 free nights based on stays, or 35-50k points based on nights) Marriott created a FrankenBonus.

I once thought there could be a way to make one bonus appropriate for everyone. This promotion seems to be a partial attempt at that (though there are still variations on what people got). I'm now convinced that there should be two choices: one based on stays that awards certificates, the other based on nights that earns point (back to the 50K range, please). Then rather than having Marriott select an offer THEY THINK is best, let us choose based on our plans.

The new format will work for me as I'll end up around 25 nights and earn the certificate and 30k points. As for having to call to get signed up. Yep, that happened to me as well (and a bunch of others). No one can explain why every promotion seems to "forget" to sign a bunch of folks up. It may be an oversight. I'd hate to think it was done in hopes that those folk would be not the wiser. Thank goodness for this site. As soon as promotion drops, everyone here finds out about it.

You're not alone. Marriott tried to please everyone on this promotion. I won't say they failed by not pleasing anyone (I'm generally okay with this promotion). I do, however, think they could do better.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This alludes to a subject repeatedly visited both here and on Flyertalk.

What kind of megabonus can Marriott offer that means something to its very large Silver membership as well as its numerically smaller, but vastly higher staying Golds and Plats?

Its an easy question for the Gold and Plat membership. Points. Stay lots, get lots of points. But for those that don't stay often, but still do use Marriott regularly, say 10-20 nights a year, what to offer that means something to them? Points are not likely to be a big motivator, stay 3 nights get 4,000 points, that's 10% of a cat 8. The numbers we talk about here as we chase lifetime membership, 1.5million to 2million points are not even remotely plausible for the vast majority of MR members, but the certs represent a real reward to a typical low staying regular.  Not particularly enticing to us, but a real tangible outcome to the majority of members.

Marriott has been fumbling with this ball for a while, it used to be cat4 certs but they began to look silly as a "reward" amist Marriotts repeated category creep, then Marriott went to double points for smaller stayers. It may have sounded good, but when people saw what they were recieving it was again only fractions of a free night. Not very mega!

So we end up back with certs and this time a ladder to points. I like the certificate I've now acheived but I'm disappointed I can't swap the next rung of the ladder for something more achievable, I'll not make the 20 nights for 15,000 points by May 15th,  it looks like I'll not even manage 10, so the next rung is set so high I have no chance of getting anywhere near it, so I see the problems in the rungs of the ladder, but think the idea of certs for all followed by a points incentive is a good one.

My 2 penn'th, offer a choice...

So stay twice get a cat 1-5 cert

After that choose:

a. Stay 10 nights 12k, 10 more nights for 15k, and 2k extra per night thereafter; or

b. Double points

II'll put my bill in the post Marriott

peymanagement Platinum

Well put brightlybob.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with you Bob. As you did I received both offers and signed up for both offers so I guest that was special  bonus. I wonder if I had only signed up for the one free night off is after I achieved that I would have received an offer that I might have partially achieve. Next time I will try that and see since the second offer I will never achieve. to those that are silver did you get two offers at the beginning?

bobbydacron Platinum

Don't  get me wrong about targeted plans, I agree that for a reward progeam to work it needs to understand who needs or wants what. Over the years Marriott has always had 3,4, or even 5 different plans. Some were stay two nights at a courtyard get a weekend night for free - and you could get up to 3 weekend nights. Some were built around stays some were built around nights.  im totally in agreement that someone who stays 15-20 nights a year is going to look for an incentive that matches their travel. Marriott just wants you to stay perhaps 5 more nights a year and a megabonus might make you plan that weekend away that your weren't thinking about.

All I'm saying is that I don't need a night at a courtyard or low level full service Marriott as a bonus. I'd rather be given 10k points for my 2 stays, or actually just keep doing the 35k 20 night bonus that we've done before. I'm platinum premier, I'm on the road all the time. when I travel for pleasure I'm not looking for a free night at a springhill suites in Parsipany NJ, I'm looking for Something I can choose for myself.

Just my 2  penn'eth and i hope marriott rewards revisits its bonus plans later this year and targets theM differently  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...