12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2016 5:27 PM by AndrewT RSS

Luck in Travel

KatieC Member
Currently Being Moderated

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light.
May good luck pursue you each morning and night.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Insiders!

This is my favorite holiday and the perfect time to talk about travel luck.

• Did you meet an important person in your life during your travels?
  • Run into an old friend in another city or country?
  • Barely make it to the airport in time?
  • Get an unexpected surprise at your hotel during your stay?
  • Find a pot of gold (or, a $100 bill) on the train platform?

Share your stories of luck on your travels here! And if you have a great tale of travel to Ireland it seems appropriate to post that here, too. Despite my Irish heritage I have yet to visit the Emerald Isle.

Not an Insider yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to post

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Luck in Travel
    hassmh Gold

I suppose if you consider finding money/things then I had quite a bit of that growing up; I was renowned in my family (of 4 lol) for finding just about anything.

• I found a large number of bills twirling around inside the revolving doors at PHL airport once, maybe $200 or $300 total.
    • I found over $500 in travelers checks under a vending machine at an amusement park (turned in to the issuing bank for $20 reward).
    • My sister lost her watch at the beach in DE one day, not realizing until that evening, and I took a stroll and came back with it.
    • I was the one who always checked the coin returns on pay phones (remember them?) or vending machines wherever we went, often coming away with a dime or nickel. It adds up over time!

And I'm sure there's many other things I'm forgetting about that I found in travels while I was younger, but alas such luck hasn't continued so much into adulthood; perhaps the responsibility and business of adult life has kept me from observing the world around me as I did in my youth.

As for Ireland, I did go to Dublin and surrounding area in my teens, was a fabulous trip, and can't wait to go again someday with my children! I will have to visit the west coast around Shannon where my ancestors hail from.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

I would say you are VERY lucky! That's a lot of money!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

One trip to California's Great Adventure yielded this find.  IMG_0782.jpg

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Luck?  Hmmm, yes.

• I've shared this before, but it seems appropriate to share it again here... I was supposed to drive out, then fly home with my grandparents once, but a last minute change in plans kept me from having to make the trip.  The landing gear stuck on my grandpa's plane, and they bounced down pretty hard.  I was so sorry for them (they were sore for about a month), but felt glad, fortunate and lucky that I was spared.
    • This is a small bit of luck.  I took a hotel shuttle to an airport last year, and when I went to check-in, discovered that I had left my purse on the shuttle.  There was no way I could fly without my ID, there was not sufficient time to wait for the shuttle to circle back around, and there was only one flight/day to my destination.  The shuttle came back around and I retrieved my purse (tipping the shuttle driver generously), but not in time to get through security and make my flight.  Luckily, the flight was delayed long enough to mitigate my potential travel demise.
    • I consider myself incredibly lucky to have discovered Marriott Rewards Insiders.  The forum, it's leadership and it's members have truly enhanced my travel experiences.  If not for a suggestion by someone here on Insiders to convert MR points to USAir miles a couple of years back, when USAir was having a 50% bonus promotion, my mom and I would've never had the memorable opportunity of flying a top notch business class product to Europe on a beautiful new 77W.  There is no way I could have enjoyed as much quality travel as I have enjoyed up to this point in my life, without the stupendously awesome travel tips and advice that I have received here on Marriott Rewards Insiders. I have also won a lot of points from contests on this forum, for which I also feel extremely lucky and fortunate and THANKFUL

"May your days be many and your troubles be few.

May all God's blessings descend upon you.

May peace be within you, may your heart be strong.

May you find what you're seeking, wherever you roam."

- Irish blessing

Travel blessings to all!

KatieC Member

Aw, you're the best pluto77! We're lucky to have YOU as part of this community!

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Love this, pluto77!

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

I got an unexpected surprise at a Marriott on my honeymoon recently! I made a reservation at a Marriott in Milan (thanks to Insiders recommendations) for the last night of our honeymoon, and left a comment in the reservation notes about it. They upgraded us to an amazing suite (the largest suite I've ever seen in person) with a personal balcony, and had cheese and wine waiting in the room for us. It was so special! I felt very lucky.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

31 years ago, today, I found my bride, soul mate, mother of my children and my purpose in life.  May will be our 30th anniversary, which we will be celebrating over two weeks in France, to include stops at the Renaissance Aix en Provence, the Lyon Marriott and some time in Paris.  I'd say that's pretty damned lucky!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

MY luckiest time was flying back from Colorado Springs to Phx and due to high temps they had a weight problem so first asked for volunteers then began to require people to get  off . I wouldn't do either so finally they got down to the weight limits by paying people a lot of money to get off. A friend got off but no one told him that all flights were full for next three days so he had to rnet a car to drive to Denver . I of course got in on ( relative) time

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Such a fun thread to read!   While I haven't experienced great luck while on a trip, I did have a lucky St. Patrick's Day in Waikiki a few years back.  I was vacationing there with family when something reminded me of my best friend.  We live quite far from each other and do not get to see one another as much as we'd like.  At this particular time, she had been traveling quite a bit for work and hadn't been talking as much as we usually do.  I sent her a text and her response was, "I'm in the same place you are!"  At first, I thought she meant she was in the same restaurant as me, but in reality, she meant she was in Waikiki on a business trip.  We ended up meeting up after she was done with her conference and enjoyed some best friend time in beautiful Hawaii. 

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

During one of my travels I needed to catch a ride from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. I got linked up with a gal who was also heading to Santa Cruz, who offered to let me ride along. Not only am I lucky I found a ride, but we've been really good friends ever since!

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I consider myself lucky to have been able to see as many places as I have, but it seems that this is extent of my luck when it comes to my travels.

Some memorable mishaps include getting stuck in what must have been a rarely-used beach-access elevator at our hotel with my sister for several hours, getting stuck in Austria for a week due to an avalanche, and more recently, having the "pleasure" of sitting in the front row of a tiny airplane with full view of the partition-less cockpit and the pilot in it, who looked to be about 16 years old.

While I was less than thrilled at the time of these events, I came out no worse for wear. Each time, I returned home with another adventure under my belt and another story to tell; many people travel for these exact reasons. If everything goes as planned, I guess it's not much of an adventure. Mission accomplished?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...