35 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2016 11:25 AM by bejacob RSS

Starting on April 11, we’re introducing Marriott Rewards® Member Rates

seatexan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

See the link to the news.  I just saw this today while poking around on the Marriott site.

Marriott Rewards Member Rates Prove "It Pays to Book Direct" - Marriott News Center

What you need to know about Marriott Rewards Member Rates:

• These rates offer a discount of at least two percent on weekdays and up to five percent on weekends
  • The rate is applied to the hotel's lowest applicable available public rates for non-premium rooms
  • The rates must be booked by the Rewards member using the appropriate member rate category
  • Rates are available across all hotels and brands in the Marriott portfolio globally, excluding Bulgari Hotels & Resorts and The Ritz-Carlton Reserve, except during special events
  • The member rate may not be combined with other select promotions, offers or discounts, and is not valid for existing reservations or groups

I thought there were already these "rates" for members on occasion.  I sometimes see a tab with lower rates when I log in. I guess we won't really know until April 11th.  I wonder if this is ALL the time and not just some of the time (like when I see Reward Offers, or Member Only Rates SOME of the time).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Starting on April 11, we’re introducing Marriott Rewards® Member Rates
    muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Sometimes those Reward Offers or Elite Offers are higher than the AAA rate!  I'll be curious to see what these new rates are.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

It says 2% on week days and 5% on weekends.  The AAA rate might still be lower.

hassmh Gold

I've found AAA discount to be generally 10% or more. 2%-5% is not very much, sounds like much ado about nothing. Now if this is combined with points per night bonuses like some of the member rates I've seen, it might be worthwhile sometimes. But if the rate is higher than another discounted rate, not likely I'd take it unless it's a lot of bonus points for the extra money.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Here is the thread from the Insider mods about this exciting new program!

New – Members Now Get Our Lowest Rate When Booking Direct

seatexan Platinum

I did a search for that but it didn't come up.

It is on the main page right under the picture!!!  Come on Beaumont, work with us here some!!

hassmh Gold

I was going to say something about that also, but don't want to be such a troublemaker that I end up the next in line to be "chk-ed"

seatexan Platinum

Oh gosh! I see it now!!!

I promise! I did put it in the search!

Ahhhh huh, sure you did SeaTexan.  I see what you're doing now testing this old geezer to see if he is awake on the first day of the NCAA Tournament!!  

So with these new rates coming for Reward members wonder what the JW will drop to for the TIPPLE?  Any guesses SeaTexan, hassmh, pluto77, brightlybob or bejacob to name a few of the attending "Hipsters"?

seatexan Platinum

The JW will drop by $7.95! WOOT!

hassmh Gold

Unfortunately I'm not a "hipster" as my schedule will not permit my attendance. But I would guess that they might offer a rate comparable to the AAA rate, and probably not much less. I recall seeing something about a group rate but don't recall the details since I'm not able to attend. I'm sure bejacob will be by to drop the link to that info at some point.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm still working on a group rate. The JW came back with something slightly below (like $6 or $7) the AAA rate but  it would have been ineligible for points or nights credit, so I said "no thanks". I'd hate to negotiate a rate and then find out it wouldn't earn points. We'd have an Insider riot on our hands. Look at the posts on this site related to the TVL rate.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see what comes along with the Marriott Member Rates. If it's a good deal, it's easy enough to modify existing reservations. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I hate being skeptical about this new "It pays to book direct" special member rate thing, but I can't help thinking it's just a bunch of marketing spin.  More of the same, just packaged differently.  We'll perhaps find out come April 11th.

I have enjoyed a few pleasant surprises from Marriott, to be sure:

• removing the number of years requirement to achieve lifetime status
              • reducing the number of lifetime points needed for lifetime status
              • counting redemption nights towards annual and lifetime status
              • increasing the megabonus certs. to category 5

All of these things have put a smile on my face, although I am fully aware that each added perk comes with a price.  So anymore, I don't get too excited about new "offers."  It's just marketing spin.  Often what is offered is really just the same thing with a fresh face.  Like when free wifi became available to all rewards members.  I'm sorry I'm not drinking the kool aid.  I'm a Marriott loyalist, for sure.  I'm also a realist.  I play the game.  I'd be a fool not too.  I stay, I get points and status and free breakfast and eventually free nights.  It's all good and I'm appreciative.  Just not stupid.  Well, we'll see.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Like others here I was very interested to see this, but it turns out to be only a couple of % off the cheapest publicly available rate, that could well therefore be higher than the AAA rate. I'm sure I'll use it sometimes, but it's unlikely to be a dealmaker.

Now as for speculation on TIPPLE rates, well as bejacob remarked, the JW was offering a few bucks below the AAA rate, but as non-qualifying nights... which was tempting, I mean cash is... NOW HOLD ON

TIPPLE... NON-QUALIFYING... They're having a giraffe? Right? Did no-one tell the JW what TIPPLE is?

The

Insiders

POINTS and

Palliative

Liquor

Event

Now theres an obvious, well 2 obvious, well 3 obvious essentials to this event, namely:

A) Insiders, hipsters one and all; and

B) Liquor in the form of Beer (mainly), Spirits, Wine, even a bottle of sweet sherry for the girls; and

C) Points, hopefully right at the beginning of the fall megabonus

Now I don't want to criticise here, but

The

Insiders

No

Involved

So-it

Sucks

TINPISS really doesn't sound so positive. So, it's back to the drawing board on that one. We continue talking, or at least @NathalieF does. The JW for its part keeps prevaricating, I can't understand why, a load of boozy pointsluts having a pukathon sounds like a really attractive event, yes?... Yes..? Um, folks... Am I the only one here?

Anyone?

seatexan Platinum

TINPISS!!??? Bahahahaha!!!

Yeah, I shall attend the tipple instead!

A) Insiders, hipsters one and all; and

B) Liquor in the form of Beer (mainly), Spirits, Wine, even a bottle of sweet sherry for the girls; and

C) Points, hopefully right at the beginning of the fall megabonus

Sounds like a Win Win to me!

I think I booked for 159... and I don't think that is bad AT ALL! In fact, I think it's REALLY good for a JW.  I wish I could get those rates in Nola!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

My take on it is a way for Marriott to rope in as many customers as they could without having to pay commissions to other sites that those people may have gone to. So in that sense, it pays for them to give everyone a token discount just so they book within the Marriott site.

Meanwhile, wasn't the new "Cash with Points" program supposed to have been launched by now?

peymanagement Platinum

I frequent the Fairfield Inn in Guelph to visit my granddaughter. This hotel seldom has point eligible discounts available (CAA or senior). For the time at this hotel next weekend I was offered a Marriott Member Discount. I saved a total of 3 $ Can.

seatexan Platinum

I just rebooked 8 reservations for lower prices .

peymanagement Platinum

SeaTexan, Thanks, I just went in and reviewed all of my reservations, some helped some not but I saved about 100 bucks.

I just checked all of mine. None of them dropped, but most of them were either AAA or gov't rate, so that's not surprising. The member rates do compare favorably with AAA, I'll have to look at upcoming trips that aren't booked yet to see my plans might change based on the new rates.

The one caution is that some still show as advance purchase rates. Great rates, but there is some risk if plans could change.

peymanagement Platinum

bejacob, I was lucky enough to find two reservations later in the year that the new rate even beat the senior rate, so I was surprized with that as I expected the members rate to equate to the CAA rate, but in a couple of cases it was even better.

Good deal. I have no doubt it will depend on the property.

I know I check all the rates to which I am entitled so I can select the best one. It's not always the cheapest one as bonus points offers can sometimes make sense. It's nice having one more option, though it will increase research time slightly.

peymanagement Platinum

Yep  definitely it is going to depend on location and timing and rate, I am just glad that it is not just an empty promotion. I am glad to have a few concrete examples of savings.

hassmh Gold

I do have both AAA and a corporate rate that I could use, but the corporate rate is almost never very good in vacation spots, if available at all, and AAA has been the go-to. My frustration with that is when the "special" AAA rate is not available at a location the search shows the hotel unavailable rather than just showing me what is available at the regular rate; if I want to stay somewhere I'll compare the best rates I can get, not decline to stay because my AAA rate isn't an option!

I'm glad these new member rates show up no matter how I search, at least in the two that I've checked so far. For one stay in August came in $23 under AAA rate for 4 of 6 nights, $27 under for the other 2 nights, so total of $146 for one stay! Almost makes the 6th night free, and that's not bad at all.

seatexan Platinum

Yeah... I RARELY ever do the pre-pay.  Fantastic rates, but you never know what will come up.

peymanagement Platinum

And for IAHFLYR s benefit, I also found one at Niagara Falls that the CAA rate is 98 dollars but the members rate for a king is 380 dollars, So still a few wrinkles.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I had a regular rate of 204 for this weekend for city view room in SJ and found a member exclusive rate of 139. Given this is a low floor standard room, I rebooked because generally I have had very good luck getting upgraded at the property, plus I rather save that money for dinner or drinks.

Although I do see two rates. A rewards member rate at 189 and a rewards member exclusive rate of 139. Don't know what the difference is. Is the exclusive rate only for elites or can a non elite see this as well?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...