11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2016 7:11 PM by tryt53 RSS

Cell Phone use in Mexico International

jonsummers Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to understand how folks who go on cruises or vacation for weeks at a time overseas communicate with USA? 

I am traveling to Mexico and wonder what would be best for a week long trip for cell phone usage.  Data is far more important to me than calling but would be nice to be able to call.  I noticed that Tmobile offers calling and data free in Mexico and curious how that works.  I have a GSM phone so I can purchase a sim card and be on my way.  I would like to stay connected and use Google Maps when possible.TT

Googlevoice should work in the hotel when connected to network but I am seeking mobile devices.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Cancun Airport
Ixtapan de la Sal, Mexico, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ixtapan de la Sal Marriott Hotel, Spa & Convention Center
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Los Cabos, Mexico
Guadalajara, MEXICO
  • Re: Cell Phone use in Mexico International
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have been to Mexico probably five times in the past year and each time my Verizon Android and the anti-Droid my Wife has (iPhone 6) have worked perfectly in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. 

Verizon offers to their customers traveling to Mexico and Canada a plan that is exactly the same as what you have in the U.S. for get this $2/day.  Yes, every 24 hours you will get a text message telling you that if you use your phone after XXXX time you will incur another $2 fee.  That's all and you pay nothing for calls, data (within your plan) or texts (within your plan).  If you do not turn your phone on for three days or do not use it nothing is charged, only the days you are using it.

Not sure what provider you currently use, but this is pretty good from what we've found.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

$5/day for Canadians in the US and 10 in Mexico and anywhere else in the world, We don't have as much completion as you have in the states so prices are higher but I can live with it.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

It is not quite "$10 anywhere else in the world".  Some places are still very expensive.   First of all, Rogers in Canada offers Roam Like home for $5/day in the USA (max $50 per billing period per device) and $10/day (max $100 per billing period per device) in about 99 other countries. You must be on a certain plan to get this.  There are still a LOT of countries where this is not available.  Singapore and Thailand to name two.  Anyone travelling should check with their carrier to find out where and what the deal is. Furthermore, other companies have deals in the USA but many carriers other than Rogers to not yet have a good roaming plan..it is extremely important to check the fine print.

I have noticed that several US carriers now have good roaming packages, so check with your carrier regardless.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I have the Verizon $2/day Canada/Mexico plans and love it.  Have used it a few times now when I go home for a visit.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

My phone has a sim card.  I just call Verizon and let them know what countries I'll be in, and have never had any problems with phone or data.  There is obviously a fee.  Have been in Mexico, India, Netherlands, Aruba, and others.

boomer Platinum

I just traveled to Europe, the Carribean as well as Mexico and Canada in the past few months. I live in the US and use Verizon.  I have an iPhone 6s which can be used around the world.  Verizon's website has an area where you plug in your phone info and they will tell you where it will work.

They have a plan as mentioned earlier where you can just use your existing minutes and data as normal for a flat rate of $2 (Canada or Mexico) or $10 (rest of world) per 24 hour period.  The charge only hits if you use your phone on cell as opposed to Wifi.  This gave me peace of mind on leisure as I knew I had phone access if needed without being gouged but luckily I did not need to use as just used Wifi for everything.  On business travel I knew what I would be facing for a bill and the fee was something I could expense at work.

Just like what we found each time to Mexico and Verizon plan worked like a champ.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

We go to PVR and use TMobile and it works seamlessly for us. Just call your TMobile and make sure you are on the plan you need for Mexico (think the standard plan now covers Canada and Mexico), and we haven't had any extra charges so far. Nice to be able to use data and wifi, although coverage can be sketchy.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree with IAHFLYR & muppetwrangler that the Verizon plan is great for Canada & Mexico.  For my most recent Australia trip which was for 10 days I bought a sim card for my phone and utilized Google Voice.  Before I left the US I forwarded my cell to my Google Voice number.  As long as your phone has a Data Connection (mobile or wifi) Google Voice will work.

Just back from a six day trip to Puerto Vallarta last month where my Wife used her cellphone every day for email, loading attachments and calls to the U.S.  Our Verizon plan for the $2/day usage raised her bill a whopping $12 from her normal bill and she was using cell data most of the time as opposed to WiFi. 

Absolutely check with your service provider, cannot stress that enough as others have mentioned.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

We use T-Mobile and incur no extra charges at all. Just check with T-Mobile and make sure you are on the current International plan, and tell them you are going to Mexico. We get calls and data roaming like we do in the states, and haven't had any extra charges yet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...