39 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2017 9:16 AM by carat RSS

Challenge question

runforlife Gold
Currently Being Moderated

A number of years ago I participated in a Platinum challenge, entering with zero status. I completed the challenge, and kept status for a year, but due to a work change, had to switch to Starwood. With the pending acquisition, I would like to participate again now, however when I called, I was told you can only challenge one level higher. I am silver now, and was told I am already enrolled in a gold challenge, which I did not sign up for?

Is it at all possible to challenge to platinum now? Unfortunately when asking for further help from the rep who answered the phone, I was hung up on.

Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Challenge question
    peymanagement Platinum

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/183365#183365

This is the fullest description of the rules that I have found.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for sharing the link to this thread, peymanagement! I agree, that post is such a great description of status challenges. Shout out to bejacob!

runforlife - If you have any further questions after reading through that thread, please feel free to reach out to myself or any of the other Community Managers!

runforlife Gold

Hi Lindsey,

I attempted to send a direct message a couple of weeks ago but have not heard back. I have completed six stays since the challenge was started, however my account still shows the challenge as only showing two stays, even though I can see six stays in my account.

If there is someone I could check with on the status, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

ramoneur Platinum

stay = (combination of) night(s), consecutive

night = night

so staying 2 days at hotel A and then 4 days at hotel B

is 2 stays

and 6 nights

are you sure you are not confusing stays and nights?

fast track to stays is:

find a city with 2 or more hotels

switch hotel every day

so a stay of a day is a one stay as well

runforlife Gold

Yes, I understand the difference between nights and stays. I have stayed independently at 6 participating Marriott properties for one night each, so that should be 6 stays correct? My account shows each stay as credited, but the Fast Track to Gold tracker in My Promotions shows a total of 3 stays.

felixf5 Platinum

It's interesting to hear you can track the status of your challengeI should also be enrolled in the Gold Challenge, but for me it doesn't show up under My Promotions? carat can you tell us if challenges should show up there?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

This is a great question, felixf5.  When members are solicited with an offer, like the Fast Track promotions, they will show up under Promotion Central.  However, when members enroll in the Status Challenges, the progress will not show up in your accounts.  If you are ever curious as to where you stand, let us know, we'd be happy to take a look for you. 

Hi runforlife, I'd like to jump in and see if I can help.  I've sent you a direct message to start the conversation, please let me know if you haven't received it.

travelpuck Gold

My question is this for the Platinum Challenge. I will be staying in a city with Marriott properties adjacent to each other with a common parking lot. During my next 10 day stay in that city, if I change hotels back and forth, will this satisfy my requirements for the challenge? I already have a few stays since starting the challenge and just need to knock out the last few stays.

peymanagement Platinum

Well I would not advertise it, but you very well may qualify doing this. They are different properties. Try it and see how you make out.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with peymanagement that this may work but I have heard other stories from Marriott members where their stays didn't count due to the very short distance between the two properties.

ramoneur Platinum

I did this in China, Shanghai;

and yes it works to make 1 days stays;

in your situation I am starting to wonder myself as well;

maybe just give them a call in advance to check if you'll get stays for staying back and forth

irishtob Silver

carat. Can you help me sign up for the platinum challenge?  Thank you. Much.

Sure can, irishtob.   I've gone ahead and reached out via direct message. 

teddyweston Gold

Hi carat,

Can you help me sign up for the platinum challenge as well? I was unable to direct message you.

Thanks!

Sure can,teddyweston! I've reached out via direct message to start the enrollment process.

rcgirlfl Gold

HI! I tried direct messaging you, but I'm not sure it went though.. I am interested in enrolling in the Platinum Challenge as well. I am currently Gold status. Can you please provide me with the information? Thanks so much!!

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

You should now be all set to send direct messages. Please send me one with your Rewards numbers and I will gladly assist.

Thanks!

shlukey Silver

Hi Carat

I tried to direct message you but I don't think it worked. Can you message me about a possible Gold challenge?

Thank you!

Sure can, shlukey

eechangt Gold

Hi Carat,

I tried to send you direct message but not sure whether it worked or not. Could you please message a about a possible Platinum challenge ?

Thank you !

hanchichi Gold

Hi Carat

can you help me to sign up the platinum challenge? last year I stayed 42 nights in SPG, 8 nights to platinum and now I realized its been cleared to zero. but I obtained Marriott gold through merger. I am looking to book 3 nights , 2 stays with Marriott in the upcoming trips, is it possible I can also enroll for the platinum challenge? this year I can stay more nights with Marriott. Thank you~!

Sure can, hanchichi! I have reached out via direct message.

Thechanchanman Silver

Hi Carat,

Can you help me too, I will be staying at a Marriott in the UK for several weeks and have was wondering if it is possible to enrol for a gold challenge. Thank you

Of course, Thechanchanman!  I've reached out via direct message.  Please send me your Rewards number so we can check your eligibility as well as provide additional details.

vay Gold

Hi Carat,

Can you sign me up for the platinum challenge as well? Direct message is not working for me.

Thanks,

Vay

eechangt Gold

Hi Carat,

Please be advised I do not know who Vay is. I am also wondering why his/her direct message to you will be shown on my box. In addition, your reply to him/her were also forwarded to my account too.

Please check it !

Thank you

Eric

Hi eechangt.  It sounds like you are referring to the notification of members posting on the same threads you have been posting on.  You do have the option to "Stop Tracking" these threads by clicking in the top right corner of the grey box in the inbox notification.

rach74 Member

Carat-

I've called twice now, but they can't seem to help me enroll in the Platinum challenge. I have quite a few stays coming up, including tonight and am frustrated they won't count. Can you please help?

Thank you!

Welcome to Insiders, rach74!  When it comes to the challenges, if members are eligible they can participate in a challenge for the next status level.  Since you are currently at the Basic status, you would only be able to participate in the Silver Challenge and not the Platinum Challenge.  However, since members are only able to complete one status challenge per 12 months, it would be more beneficial to you to reach Silver on your own by completing 10 nights.  At that time, you can reach out for a Gold status challenge which would provide you more benefits as a frequent traveler.  Hope this helps clarify for you, but if not, please feel free to let me know of any questions you may have.

ramoneur Platinum

reward-wise there is a much bigger difference between gold and silver

than between platinum and gold

so if you missed your opportunity for a platinum challenge for this year, you are really not losing that much

as long as you reach gold

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I think you may have got that the wrong way round ramoneur.

Reward points wise, the biggest difference is between Gold & Platinum.

Silver - 20% bonus on base points

Gold - 25% bonus on base points

Platinum - 50% bonus on base points

Of course, Gold gives certain other advantages on Silver, such as lounge access.

ramoneur Platinum

no, I don't think I have gotten that the wrong way round

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

IT depends on what you view as valuable. To me it's the concierge and not the extra points . I would agree then that there is not a lot of difference to me between gold and platinum.

ramoneur Platinum

I agree on this; only difference is the extra points imho; I am not treated much different since I am platinum level

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

While that's true, many of the major perks (CL access being the biggest one) kick in at the Gold level.

Put another way, I'd be less concerned about dropping from Platinum to Gold one year than dropping from Gold to Silver. The loss of benefits is just too big.

covbrit41 Member

WE used to stay at SPG properties. Then I read about platinum challenge. My husband called Marriott and as he was plat on SPG they offered plat on Marriott as long as he stayed nine nights. He's done much more and he still does not have the platinum level on his account. He is getting ready to book another week hotel for work but is thinking of another hotel chain. Why did this not show up on his account as they suggested.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi covbrit41,

Thank you for reaching out. Has your SPG account been linked with your Marriott account yet? Please send me a private message with your Marriott Rewards number, Platinum challenge enrollment date, stays you believe should have counted towards the challenge, and any additional details surrounding the enrollment and we will have our team look into this.

Thank you.

maohuasheng Gold

Hi, I also want to enroll Platinum challenge, I will travel to US and Japan in February.

I hope I can have chance to complete Platinum challenge, thanks for your help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...